Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM

355 posts, read 2,402,464 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone, need some opinions on my current dilemma..

So I had an interview back on 4/23 that went great! The hiring manager didn’t give me a specific date as to when they’d make the final hiring decision, so I followed up with the recruiter last Thursday (4/30), she was happy I followed up, etc, said that she thought the offers would be ready by Friday (5/1)--and that if I didn't hear from her to call her back Monday. So I called back Monday morning (5/4), said she would call me back--she did late Monday & said they still haven't made a decision yet, but should hopefully touch base with me by Tuesday (5/5). It’s now Wednesday 5/6 & I still haven’t heard back from her.

In my opinion, if they knew I was calling to follow up & they were not going to hire me, wouldn't they just say so by now? I know they're hiring a group of people for this job (6-10) so that's why I'm trying to be patient, but does it really take this long to make decisions? Or do you think they're giving me the run-around? Do I call again by Friday or Monday or just let it go?

My sister who is an HR recruiter herself said to stop following up & let them call me back at this point—that I’ve made it obvious I want the job, I’ve followed up & they have my name in their minds. So now I just sit here in agony waiting to hear back! I quit my job to move back home & have been here for 2 months now with no job! I’ve sent out over 100 resumes & am on my last dime. I am hopeless!

I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I think your sister is right!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I agree, at this point I'd at least wait until Friday before you contact them again, and then use e-mail rather than a phone call. Appearing desperate is not a good way to find a job.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Same here, if the decision was already made to extend you an offer - the recruiter would've contacted you already since that is how they get paid. I would just be patient right now and see if you hear back by the end of the week.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I've been waiting to hear a final decision on a job I interviewed for nearly two months ago! At the time I was told there'd be a decision made before the end of March, but here it is May and nothing yet. My references were checked 2.5 weeks ago (4/27), and my references said their conversations with the hiring manager were very positive and they thought I had been chosen for the job. I emailed last Monday 5/4 and was told that a decision had not been made and that I'd hopefully be told something "soon." At this point I'm starting to think the job doesn't exist! Or there is something really wierd going on. Anyhow, I'm going to refrain from contacting them for another week or two - and in the meantime each time I go to the mailbox I expect to see a rejection letter!

It's very frustrating - I wish I had some other options but at this point this is the only possibility I have!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM

378 posts, read 772,131 times
Unfortuntely, they might have closed the position or moved someone internally. Either way, I would not contact them directly, if possible, only through the recruiter. Please try not to agonize over this one opportunity. I believe in moving forward. Keep sending your resumes, going to job fairs and door-to-door, if you like. Just keep busy! Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
It's possible that they've made offers to the first choices and are waiting to hear back as to whether the offers are accepted or not. Where I used to work, we would not send out the letters to the applicants who were not selected until the ones who were actually hired showed up for work on the first day. So we would have to be very non-committal to the ones who were chosen as the back-ups when they called to ask about their status.

I'm not tryng to discourage you. You may be one of the first choices. There are other reasons as to why things are taking a while to finalize. But I agree with your sister's advice to lay low for now. They know you are interested, and the ball is in their court.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM

355 posts, read 2,402,464 times
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. It helps to put my mind at ease (at least a little) to know the majority of people agree with my sister--or that it may not be over just yet. I would assume they would tell me either way--I can't remember having gone on an interview and NOT been told either with an offer letter or rejection. But who knows. I guess it is truly out of my hands--ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

adlnc07--I know, is very frustrating! That is a LONG time to wait especially if you're unemployed & in dire straits like me! I feel for ya. I keep waiting for a possible rejection letter or e-mail too, but so far nothing.

Patience is a virtue!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Since youre going thru a recruiter, you can always call them back and ask if there are any new leads, or, you can state you have an opportunity that might make you unavailable for a week, but, you don't want to take it because you're waiting on the job they are supposed to be advising you of. Since they did give you a deadline, you are sort of forcing their hand, now, you may get an answer that you don't like, or you may still get the stall, if its the stall, then the job is still up in the air, if its a no, well, at least you have that answer.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsun1980 View Post
Hey, everyone, need some opinions on my current dilemma..

So I had an interview back on 4/23 that went great! The hiring manager didn’t give me a specific date as to when they’d make the final hiring decision, so I followed up with the recruiter last Thursday (4/30), she was happy I followed up, etc, said that she thought the offers would be ready by Friday (5/1)--and that if I didn't hear from her to call her back Monday. So I called back Monday morning (5/4), said she would call me back--she did late Monday & said they still haven't made a decision yet, but should hopefully touch base with me by Tuesday (5/5). It’s now Wednesday 5/6 & I still haven’t heard back from her.

In my opinion, if they knew I was calling to follow up & they were not going to hire me, wouldn't they just say so by now? I know they're hiring a group of people for this job (6-10) so that's why I'm trying to be patient, but does it really take this long to make decisions? Or do you think they're giving me the run-around? Do I call again by Friday or Monday or just let it go?

My sister who is an HR recruiter herself said to stop following up & let them call me back at this point—that I’ve made it obvious I want the job, I’ve followed up & they have my name in their minds. So now I just sit here in agony waiting to hear back! I quit my job to move back home & have been here for 2 months now with no job! I’ve sent out over 100 resumes & am on my last dime. I am hopeless!

I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this!!!

LOL, I'm in the same situation as you, I had a 2nd interview on 4/27/09, and it's now 5/6/09 and I have yet to hear anything but I always been the type not to call because I sent a thank you letter and I rather have them call me. But the mistake I made was forgetting to ask when the hiring decision would be made so I don't know if they are still interviewing or not but haven't received a rejection letter as of yet. But just try to produce other interviews and forget about it because you will drive yourself crazy. Even if you don;t get this job there wil be more opportunities after this one so don't stress. I have an interview tomorrow and I have to put all my energy into impressing that employer and forget about the employer I'm waiting to hear from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment