Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 AM

151 posts, read 345,607 times

Advertisements

Hello,

GM possibly shutting down almost every plant in the US for 9 weeks! What will this do to our economy?

I expect MI will see at an unemployment rate above 15%..... If Chrysler and Ford follow suite maybe will will hit a 20% unemployment rate.

I expect the United Stated will hit a minimum of a 10% unemployment rate if this happens!

What are your thoughts?

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
It may be better for GM's long term health to do this. By closing temporarily they reduce inventory and bring better balance to the supply & demand for their products. Chugging along and creating greater supply with no increase in demand might only lead to a more permanent closure.

That said, the short-term effects will be painful, especially for Michigan, which already has enough to worry about. The unemployment compensation tab for the state must be huge. But, like other corporations, GM is likely more beholden to their shareholders than they are to the community at large. The irony is that probably many of the people who are being laid off are among those shareholders by way of owning stocks and mutual funds.

It will be interesting to see if Chrysler and Ford follow suit. By reducing inventory, GM may actually be helping the other two, though I think it would be a negligible effect.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The workers still get paid, so I don't see a down side for the employees. 9 week paid vacation sounds good to me.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The workers still get paid,
Is that true? Wow.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:56 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is that true? Wow.
Well, the news here is reporting they get 70% of their pay during plant closures pursuant to their union contract.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is that true? Wow.
Yes, this is nothing new. I mean they already shut down all the plants in for two weeks in July anyway, this will just be ... extended.

But if you all want to turn it into another "omgz the sky is falling!" thread, go right ahead.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,962 times
Personally, I dont know why? GM will have to pay unemployment to each of them, and thats going to be just about how much they will have to pay them a regular salary anyways, so, why not just have them on the assembly line, 'doing something constuctive'???

I heard that it just about cost as much to have someone on unemployment as it does to pay them to work, (according to my old boss), so its why we never got laid off...

Later.

Jesse

Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Personally, I dont know why? GM will have to pay unemployment to each of them, and thats going to be just about how much they will have to pay them a regular salary anyways, so, why not just have them on the assembly line, 'doing something constuctive'???

I heard that it just about cost as much to have someone on unemployment as it does to pay them to work, (according to my old boss), so its why we never got laid off...

Later.

Jesse
They say the inventory is too full. Which I believe ... I have literally worked myself out of a job before because I made too much inventory.

Anyway, the 2 week summer shutdown has been going on for as long as i can remember (my dad worked for GM for 30 years), to switch over to the next model year. Like I said, this is just longer for various other reasons, and the news picked up on it to get everyone freaking out again.

I am so glad to be leaving journalism.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Default If your workplace closed for two months but you were still paid, what would you do with your self?

People are talking about the autoworkers being idled for nine weeks. But with their union contract most of them will be paid at about 70% of their income during this extended period.

If this was me and I was sure I would be brought back to work in two months, I would not complain. I could easily find pick up work to make up for the difference in pay through temp agencies and helping a friend who mows lawns and does painting, etc.

How about you, would you like to be laid off for two months at 70% of your pay if you knew for sure your job would be back at that time? If so, what would you do during that time off work?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Yes, this is nothing new. I mean they already shut down all the plants in for two weeks in July anyway, this will just be ... extended.

But if you all want to turn it into another "omgz the sky is falling!" thread, go right ahead.
Not at all. I just didn't realize that was the case in a shutdown this long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment