U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 AM

91 posts, read 334,740 times
Unhappy Beware when your Benefit year is up......

I live in New York State.My benefit year was up the end of April.So I had to re-apply for UE Benefits.
Unfortunately I did not know you had to put in an unpaid waiting week every benefit year.So I did not get a check last week.
Then I get on the phone with UE and they tell me there's a possibility I could get another 26 weeks unemployment without touching my "emergency benefits".Which,by the way would have been the same rate I was getting for the past year.
And I thought "wow that's great".So I sent them my last paystub from a job I had a week here and there last summer.
I just got my benefit notice in the mail and they LOWERED my UE benefits by $27.00 a week.Yes they lowered my UE Rate by over $100.00 a month!
I did not have enough money to pay rent and bills as it was and this nice woman I spoke with never told me there was a possibility that my UE benefit rate would go down if I decided to try for the extra 26 weeks.
That sucks.I was blindsided.I would have rather taken the emergency benefits at the same rate I was getting.
Now I'll probably be thrown out of my apartment and sued for rent.
New York State UE sucks big time.
Good Luck to all of you on UE.Your gonna need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,641,154 times
I am sorry, but it is too bad that you were not on this site months ago. Since, i mentioned this to several posters months ago.

It really depends on the individual. If you intersperse your unemployment with short-term jobs, or working part-time, (over your partial benefit credit) -- you take the chance of building enough earning, to get a new claim, after a)your money has exhausted or your claim expired. And for some individuals that may be the equivalent or less or more. But usu. much less!! And no, U.E. doesn't suck. And I am sure New York U.E. doesn't suck. And Pennsylvania U.E. definitely does not suck, since I am getting the same amount as before.

Instead. Debbie's positon sucks, because she qualifies for a new claim, but at a lower rate.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50 View Post
I live in New York State.My benefit year was up the end of April.So I had to re-apply for UE Benefits.
Unfortunately I did not know you had to put in an unpaid waiting week every benefit year.So I did not get a check last week.
Then I get on the phone with UE and they tell me there's a possibility I could get another 26 weeks unemployment without touching my "emergency benefits".Which,by the way would have been the same rate I was getting for the past year.
And I thought "wow that's great".So I sent them my last paystub from a job I had a week here and there last summer.
I just got my benefit notice in the mail and they LOWERED my UE benefits by $27.00 a week.Yes they lowered my UE Rate by over $100.00 a month!
I did not have enough money to pay rent and bills as it was and this nice woman I spoke with never told me there was a possibility that my UE benefit rate would go down if I decided to try for the extra 26 weeks.
That sucks.I was blindsided.I would have rather taken the emergency benefits at the same rate I was getting.
Now I'll probably be thrown out of my apartment and sued for rent.
New York State UE sucks big time.
Good Luck to all of you on UE.Your gonna need it.

Last edited by gea12345; 05-10-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I am sorry, but it is too bad that you were not on this site months ago. Since, i mentioned this to several posters months ago.

It really depends on the individual. If you intersperse your unemployment with short-term jobs, you take the chance of building enough earning, to get a new claim, after a)your money has exhausted or your claim expired. And for some individuals that may be the equivalent or less or more. But usu. less!!

good luck!
Thanks.I only wish I had been on this site sooner to see your post.It would have given me the heads up to beware this was coming.
I really feel she should have told me there's a chance my UE benefit rate would go down.And of course I never thought about it.
So imagine my suprise when I found out I'll be getting over $100 less a month!!
That's just not right.Not in these hard economic times.How am I suppose to pay for rent and bills on a little over $400 a month?There's just no way.
I have been looking for work,any work,any pay,for over a year now and have not been able to find anything.
They really need to re-evaluate how they figure UE Benefit rates.
Just not fair....

Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 AM

i see your point!! And some states are better at diseminating information to their claimants than others.

On the Pennsylvania U.C. site it states this possibility in black and white.

New York's site is also pretty good.

And the people who work there would usually not tell you something like that, since their aim imo is to get you off the phone and not tell you anything that might discourage you from working. or just be rude or unfriendly.

I get all my info from reading their site, not from calling and asking.

Keep in mind that if you can find a part-time job, you can make up that 100 dollars and still keep your benefit!! For example if your claim is 250 a week, you can make approx. 75 dollars a week, without any penalty. (The PBC is about 1/4 or 1/3 of your claimant amount.)

Read their website first and then only after that, call and confirm!!

again good luck!

p.s. The partial benefit credit applies to Regular U.C.! You will have to read first and then call 2nd, to confirm that it applies to EUC! (And if your check is only a 100 dolars a week, your PBC would be about 25 a week, about one hour a week in my case. ;-) oh boy, not good!!

Quote:
Thanks.I only wish I had been on this site sooner to see your post.It would have given me the heads up to beware this was coming.
I really feel she should have told me there's a chance my UE benefit rate would go down.And of course I never thought about it.
That's just not right.Not in these hard economic times.How am I suppose to pay for rent and bills on a little over $400 a month?There's just no way.
I have been looking for work,any work,any pay,for over a year now and have not been able to find anything.
Just not fair....

Last edited by gea12345; 05-10-2009 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
i see your point!! And some states are better at diseminating information to their claimants than others.

On the Pennsylvania U.C. site it states this possibility in black and white.

New York's site is also pretty good.

And the people who work there would usually not tell you something like that, since their aim imo is to get you off the phone and not tell you anything that might discourage you from working. or just be rude or unfriendly.

I get all my info from reading their site, not from calling and asking.

Keep in mind that if you can find a part-time job, you can make up that 100 dollars and still keep your benefit!! For example if your claim is 250 a week, you can make approx. 75 dollars a week, without any penalty. (The PBC is about 1/4 or 1/3 of your claimant amount.)

Read their website first and then only after that, call and confirm!!

again good luck!

p.s. The partial benefit credit applies to Regular U.C.! You will have to read first and then call 2nd, to confirm that it applies to EUC! (And if your check is only a 100 dolars a week, your PBC would be about 25 a week, about one hour a week in my case. ;-) oh boy, not good!!
I've been through the part-time job thing with UE and it doesn't matter if you work 1 hour or 6 hours a day you can't claim benefits for that day.
And I have done jobs for "temp" agencies also but they have nothing to offer right now.
My sister was just telling me that a janitor's job got over 200 applications last week in our area.Unbelievable.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 AM

That is terrible!

Perhaps, New York does not offer partial benefit credit like other states, inlcuding PA. From my reading, I know that Pa is not the only state.

I am not talking about the Parital Benefit, where if you work one day, you lose that amount in your U.C. check.

A: Partial benefits can be paid for any week when the claimant works no more than three days and earns no more than the maximum benefit rate, which is currently $405.
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/employerinfo/experienceratingfaq.shtm

The PBC is different and is like i explained. I have done it, and i got my full 500 dollar check plus 150 which i earned per week. So, I got 650.00.

I am sorry that N.Y. does not offer this option.

take care!

Quote:
I've been through the part-time job thing with UE and it doesn't matter if you work 1 hour or 6 hours a day you can't claim benefits for that day.
And I have done jobs for "temp" agencies also but they have nothing to offer right now.
My sister was just telling me that a janitor's job got over 200 applications last week in our area.Unbelievable.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Well I just had a job interview this morning.I can only wait and hope they find me suitable for the position.
Then I'll be able to get out of this UE Benefit rate fiasco.
Please cross your fingers for me.
I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Well I just had a job interview this morning.I can only wait and hope they find me suitable for the position.
Then I'll be able to get out of this UE Benefit rate fiasco.
Please cross your fingers for me.
I'll keep you updated.
Excellent Deb!! and wow that was fast. And yes, I hope that Congrats are soon to come!

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Excellent Deb!! and wow that was fast. And yes, I hope that Congrats are soon to come!

Cheers!
Thank You.I certainly hope so too.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
FBJ

32,870 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:
Just not fair....

Well what have you been doing to get back into the workforce? I agree with you that $400 is nothing but have you put yourself in positions to get a new job? Have you gone on interviews? Are you registered with any employment agencies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment