Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Methinks that you have not attended paralegal school or law school!!

I have done both !
Does the mere fact that you have attended mean that you know everything and can't possibly be wrong? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Have you ever left a job without giving the traditional 2 weeks notice? Have you ever worked at a company where you give the traditional 2 week notice and they cut you loose earlier than you had planned? I had this happen once to me before, within the last 3 years. I even left the company in good standing and it still happened… I plan on quitting my job in 11 months and relocating and I am just planning ahead.

Again, the answer is Yes to the first question!! And Yes, to the second questoin.

Since it has happened to you in the past, prepare for it to happen in the future.

Prepare equals == Having a saving account!! 2 birds in hand are worth more than 2 in the bush!

good luck!!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Methinks that you have not attended paralegal school or law school!!

I have done both !
I have a NALA ACP designation I can use, that and $1.50 will get me a cuppa coffee.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Again, the answer is Yes to the first question!! And Yes, to the second questoin.D
But on May 12 in response to the OP's question you said, "Well, it has never happened to me and i have worked lots of jobs and quit lots of times."

???

Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its polite, but not required, nor can anything bad really happen. Its just courteous and gives them time to prepare for getting a replacement, etc.

Right again!!

And those who want to make this thread longer, arguing! go right ahead!

I think the viewers and the OP has gotten our answer!!

lol

Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Have you ever left a job without giving the traditional 2 weeks notice? Have you ever worked at a company where you give the traditional 2 week notice and they cut you loose earlier than you had planned? I had this happen once to me before, within the last 3 years. I even left the company in good standing and it still happened… I plan on quitting my job in 11 months and relocating and I am just planning ahead.
When I was a hairdresser the managers MO was to let you go immediately after giving notice. They didn't want you to have the opportunity to tell your clients where you were going nor did they want you to have time to get their phone numbers. They also wouldn't tell your clients where you went. I gave 2 week notice knowing that she would tell me not to come back. I had gotten all my client information well in advance of giving notice. Most of the clients I saw there came for me, they didn't come for the salon.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,733 times
Somehow I feel so validated now. And all without attending law school, even!

Two weeks notice for most jobs seems standard. It's the decent thing to do when you can. I don't think it's the end of the world when you can't, especially if there is a good reason for it.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Just a late night ( at least in my time zone which is 11PM!) comment to gea12345: Are you reluctant to answer my query posted a little after 11AM today?

With all due respect, you post so frequently on CD but seem to so rarely respond to those who in any way, shape or form dare to challenge your professed expertise in so many different areas.

Again with all due respect, why not a response even on this CD Work and Employment forum to explain why your response to the OP was contradicted in just two days.

Maybe I simply misread and misinterpreted your contradictory posts?

I'm simply curious, given that you are such a prolific poster.

Cheers!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Well, it has never happened to me and i have worked lots of jobs and quit lots of times.

But if you feel that you cannot trust your supervisor or employer, then give one weeks notice.

If you can trust them, then give two weeks notice. and do it, after you have your nest egg firmly established!! Because they have the right to let you go immediately after you give notice!

good luck!

Yes, Still True!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 221,076 times
When I was a kid--14, and working my first official job, at McDonald's, I called up early one Saturday morning when I was supposed to open and said, "I'm not coming in today. As a matter of fact, I'm not coming in any more." I think that was about a 10 minute notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment