Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,887,033 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

As I indicated, I am prepared financially to be out of work for a while. I also know it is generally easier to find work while working.

I have been trying to formulate a plan, although I am sure there are many holes. I have identified a few career fields I think would be far more suited to my abilities and likes. My current position has some things I do like about it, and others I highly dislike. I think it has been a good learning experience to focus me on what suits me, and what doesn't.

I wish I could take some time off immediately, but to get a week off I will have to die or wait until the last week of June. Our leave schedules are more or less set, and right now it would be near impossible to get a leave change approved for that length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire
When working these stressful jobs I suffered from migraines, uncontrollable eye twitches, and an overall inability to enjoy my "free time." Stress can wreak havoc on the body and mind. It can manifest itself in ways we can't imagine.
Amazing how this sounds the same as what I have been going through. On my worst days and weeks, I have been having some eye twitches (which I never have had, and don't experience when I am away), and also been getting some headaches. Not sure if they are migraine quality, but it is not normal for me, and doesn't manifest itself if I am away from here. Since getting my current position, I have also suddenly had to battle high blood pressure, which has been difficult to control with diet (which leads me to believe it too is the stress).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF
Two words should keep you from resigning without another job, IMO... HEALTH CARE.

It's catch 22- you need health care and it is expensive. But staying in a job that makes your head explode is bad for your health.

I feel for you.
Yes, health care coverage is certainly a big concern, but I am not sure it is outweighing the need for a healthier job. It's a tough balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,139,543 times
While I don't know the specifics, I think the government has a new program that pays a portion of COBRA. That may help with helath insurance costs if you decide to leave.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,106,661 times
COBRA generally requires that group health plans sponsored by employers with 20 or more employees in the prior year offer employees and their families the opportunity for a temporary extension of health coverage (called continuation coverage) in certain instances where coverage under the plan would otherwise end.

If You Lose Your Job

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Health Plans & Benefits - Continuation of Health Coverage – COBRA (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm - broken link)

COBRA - Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act

Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,128,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
While I don't know the specifics, I think the government has a new program that pays a portion of COBRA. That may help with helath insurance costs if you decide to leave.
You cannot get government help with COBRA or unemployment if you voluntarily quit your job. The COBRA help is only for people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own until the end of the year.

I don't know why so many people seem to think they can just walk away from their job and collect benefits. I guess that's another symptom of the "entitlement society" mentality we now have in this country. Leave you job on your own if you feel you must, that's your business, but please don't ask the taxpayer to subsidize your choice.

COBRA Stimulus Plan - Who is Eligible for the COBRA Premium Subsidy and COBRA Benefits?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,139,543 times
Thankyou for the clarification, Neil. As I said, I did not know the specifics. I do know that you are eligible for COBRA if you leave voluntarily, but that makes sense that the government assistance would only be available to those who lost their jobs.

GEA- those are great links.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,106,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

Thanks HIF!

Yes, I did wonder if you were right, and so, before i responded I LOOKED it up! And you are right!!

Qualifying Events - Qualifying events are certain events that would cause an individual to lose health coverage. The type of qualifying event will determine who the qualified beneficiaries are and the amount of time that a plan must offer the health coverage to them under COBRA. A plan, at its discretion, may provide longer periods of continuation coverage.

Qualifying Events for Employees:
Voluntary or involuntary termination of employment for reasons other than gross misconduct
Reduction in the number of hours of employment

Qualifying Events for Spouses:
Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct
Reduction in the hours worked by the covered employee
Covered employee's becoming entitled to Medicare
Divorce or legal separation of the covered employee
Death of the covered employee

FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html - broken link)

Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 PM

666 posts, read 1,838,769 times
If you are prepared financially (and it sounds like you are), go for it.

I am in a very similar situation. My current job is very stressful, very high pressure, requires a lot of travel, too much corporate BS / politics, etc. It is not the type of job where I can just "leave it at the office." I think about work from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep at night. The trade off is a high salary. It has slowly become less and less worth the mental and physical detriment.

I have lined up another consulting job that pays 35% less, but there will be virtually no stress, no travel, and it will be more enjoyable. My quality of life will increase dramatically.

I will be resigning in a month. Just knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel has made life so much better already.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment