Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I actually wouldn't mind if someone who was on break told me they were on break when I asked for help. Not a big deal to find someone who IS on the clock. What ticked me off was when the fabric cutter lady stood there staring at me and refused to cut my fabric because, "She was going on break in 10 minutes." Lady, I don't CARE if you are going on break, just send someone else over here to help me, or let me cut the darn fabric myself! Let's not just stand here staring at each other stupidly.

Now you had a justified case of getting a manager, compared to other stories I've heard about getting a manager or writing corporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
I worked at Walmart as an overnight associate for almost a week. I found out that I really didn't like the job so I quit. Working at all hours of the night lifting box after box and being hot and sweaty is just not my thing...........

However, I do like shopping at Walmart.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
I worked at Wal-Mart a couple years ago during the Christmas season, and afterwards, they hired me permanent part-time (28 hours a week). I was the phone operator and worked the fitting rooms, and if I closed, I sorted the soft-line departments so they can do their go-backs at closing time.

We HAD to take an hour meal break, and we also had 2 1/2 hour breaks.

Any Associate that worked full-time could NOT go over 8 hours per shift. If you clocked out working 8 hours and 2 minutes, you got paid overtime 2 minutes.

We received a 10% discount.

They brag about health insurance. Yes, as a FT Associate you have to work 2 years, that also applies to a week paid vacation. I would have had to work 5 years to qualify

The store always looked like a pig sty - it was the customers who were very difficult and would make a mess. It was like picking up after a 2 year old all day.

There was no team work from the Associates (they felt it "wasn't their job"). And there was plenty of back stabbing.

I left after 9 months. That was my experience in retail. Never again.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Well, your scenario, describes a situation where employees are between a rock and a hard place.

If they help the customer, then they probably have to finish it, since no one is going to take over.

Usually people who act like that, there is a good reason.

You learn after awhile NOT to start an activity, that in your experience is going to take longer than 10 minutes.

Lot of this kind of attitude is traced back to owner and management instituted policies that penalize people who want to help, but DON't want to lose their break time OR bad co-worker morale, where they dont' want to help you, because they then lose their break.

Strict policies usu. breed inflexible employees and lack of co-worker helpfulness!

And who suffers? The customer!!

This is based on prior work experiences and observation of employees who are managment or non-management and NOT from working at Walmart.

To me it is night and day, the walmart in New Orleans and the one in Philadelphia.

Does this mean the people in New Orleans are better americans or better humans? I think, not! Whatever they are doing down there, they are just doing it better than they are in Phila!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
I actually wouldn't mind if someone who was on break told me they were on break when I asked for help. Not a big deal to find someone who IS on the clock. What ticked me off was when the fabric cutter lady stood there staring at me and refused to cut my fabric because, "She was going on break in 10 minutes." Lady, I don't CARE if you are going on break, just send someone else over here to help me, or let me cut the darn fabric myself! Let's not just stand here staring at each other stupidly.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
You should see it. The episode is called "Walmart Hate" from the P&T series, but they try to compare the pros and cons of Wal-Mart and the biggest pro they came up with was the fact that Wal-Mart was providing jobs to people.

Cool. I think that is how it should work. I was in the store with my little sister--who was off the clock. A lady walks by and says, "Excuse me, do you know where I can find the trash bags?" I had no clue, but I looked at my little sister and she just stood there silent. The lady knew she was an employee and waited patiently for an answer. I looked at my sister and said, "Don't you know where they are?" She sent me a sort of frustrated look and then finally said, "They're three aisles over."

I looked at her and told her that it wouldn't have killed her to be polite and help the woman. She said, "I'm not allowed to do that! Once I'm off the clock I'm not allowed to help any customers or else I could get in trouble for working off the clock." I was staring at her in complete disbelief, but supposedly that's how the managers work at that Wal-Mart. I think each Wal-Mart is different though. The next Wal-Mart about 30 minutes away is supposedly filthy and people don't like going there b/c they hire workers who are inattentive and are usually pretty stoned. Then again, that area is sort of going through a bit of a drug crisis right now, so I think it depends on the individual Wal-Mart and it's not and everywhere deal.
thats actually a good thing. a while back, walmart got in trouble for making employees work off the clock. maybe they learned their lesson!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
The majorty of the Associates at the WM I worked, were on parole.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Yeah I guess I got a little dose of Walmart. I was interviewing for a Pharmacy position and they kept saying they could come close to matching my current hourly rate and how much they wanted me to come on board but then when I got the written job offer it was....low. I asked if they could do better and they said no and I couldn't take the drug test until I accepted the postion and if I declined the postion I couldn't apply for one year...sort of put me on the spot. I accepted but will be speaking with HR on Monday and declining the postion Makes me wish I could be a FT dog walker

Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Yeah I guess I got a little dose of Walmart. I was interviewing for a Pharmacy position and they kept saying they could come close to matching my current hourly rate and how much they wanted me to come on board but then when I got the written job offer it was....low. I asked if they could do better and they said no and I couldn't take the drug test until I accepted the postion and if I declined the postion I couldn't apply for one year...sort of put me on the spot. I accepted but will be speaking with HR on Monday and declining the postion Makes me wish I could be a FT dog walker

Why not be a full-time dog walker?

I have been told by 3 people that these people make good money, love their jobs, blah, blah....

but i think it take a little time to build up a customer base. Perhaps there are self-employed dog walkers on here.

Hopefully, after a year, you can get a job with a hospital, where hopefully the pay is better.

I guess the drug test is pretty standard! in your field, not that I think about all of the articles re: pharmacists and doctors with habits.

Also, hopefully you can continue with school to become a pharmacist!

good luck!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I worked at Wal-Mart a couple years ago during the Christmas season, and afterwards, they hired me permanent part-time (28 hours a week). I was the phone operator and worked the fitting rooms, and if I closed, I sorted the soft-line departments so they can do their go-backs at closing time.

We HAD to take an hour meal break, and we also had 2 1/2 hour breaks.

Any Associate that worked full-time could NOT go over 8 hours per shift. If you clocked out working 8 hours and 2 minutes, you got paid overtime 2 minutes.

We received a 10% discount.

They brag about health insurance. Yes, as a FT Associate you have to work 2 years, that also applies to a week paid vacation. I would have had to work 5 years to qualify

The store always looked like a pig sty - it was the customers who were very difficult and would make a mess. It was like picking up after a 2 year old all day.

There was no team work from the Associates (they felt it "wasn't their job"). And there was plenty of back stabbing.

I left after 9 months. That was my experience in retail. Never again.
Yeah we have customers who will leave meat in the diapers or in the dog food.
They will leave milk in the DVDs...rude things like that.

Just today I was clocked out and was shopping for some face towels and some elderly couple asked me where the birthday cards were. They were about 10 steps from them. What bothered me most is that I was clocked out and they felt they could just ask anyone who had a navy shirt on. WTF?

Now should I fill out a little form for taking 5 seconds to help them? Hmmm...I dunno. They were disturbing me...
However if I hadn't answered, they would have complained that the workers at my store are ruded.
Danged if I do...danged if I don't.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
thats actually a good thing. a while back, walmart got in trouble for making employees work off the clock. maybe they learned their lesson!
Exactly. People in an hourly position should not be "working" off of the clock, which, is what answering questions is. I know it sounds "dumb", but almost every company has similar policies.

Actually, one of the largest class action suit "class" going is in people working off of the clock, lots of companies get sued for that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment