U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,151,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I think rep points are a good indication of the quality of advice. Though your .50 is a bit high. If everyone under that was booted off the board, there wouldn't be many left to post. Personally, the expectation of rep points plays no factor in my decision to post or not post. And if that's your primary motivation, I'd like to take a few of your rep points back please.
I agree. Some of my rep points come from comments in the sports section. Does that make me an expert on job seeking? Also, I am somewhat of a smart a$$ in the polititcal section and get rep points for making funny jokes. That doesn't qualify me to give advice on good sushi restaurants.

The information needs to be taken with a grain of salt. if you get the same advice from three people here, Google and a friend.....THAT would be good advice. Again, use this as a resource...not as an end all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,403,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I wouldn't suggest that there's an etiquette with respect to posting replies that are applicable to the thread. But they sometimes just ramble on without cohesion. The problem is that those who reply in excess, often have some good advice that is lost in the noise.
That I can totally agree with. Those lengthy verbose answers tend to get ignored or overlooked.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 2,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
You're right on track! This would be two violations:

1. We can discuss an IDEA but not the individual MEMBER.

2. As per ToS - only one account per member.

(ToS is located at the bottom of the main forum under FAQ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Well there ya are then

They won't let ya have another screenname besides this one and I'm positive they have ways of knowing if you make another membership, so in this case if someone gets blackballed as a bad advice giver, they couldn't hide behind an alias even if they did use another computer/IP address to create it. Cool.

Why DO some sites that allow multiple profiles to be made block users from logging back in? seems redundant.

Even if its one account per user, more than one user could be using the same computer, as such that blocked person could have (theoretically) unlimited access?

I guess the hope is that people don't go to that trouble and get the message when they get blocked that they crossed the line.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,225 times
some people just don't like to be disagreed with and all they can do to ya is create a 5 minute inconvenience. I'm sure they know you can come right back, but its all they can do to you.

my opinion is that the blocked person isn't necessarily always the antogonist, although they probly are in most cases, but even Ops have a few bad eggs that overuse their power.

someone didn't like what I said, so I asked them to remove my posts if it bothered them that much. It wasn't anything contraversial, so I really don't understand the issue. Next thing I know the posts were not only removed but my entire profile is removed. Why? That was overkill and I didn't break any TOS by asking my posts to be removed. And since I'm obviously posting right now with a new screen name, it must have just been meant to be a virtual punch in the face cuz "they can". Which is power abuse and being a bully, simple and plain.

I wish there was a way to report the people that do this.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,446,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The story of our lives on CD.
That is so funny. Love that cartoon.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,983 times
If thats what really happened then that does seem wrong. Can Moderators really delete your account just like that without a reason?

I don't have their side of it, but if thats what they did then I agree that they were doing it just to be mean. I can't see any other reason for it since Moderators must know that there's nothing stopping you from coming right back. Seems a waste of effort on their part really.

You probably can report it, but I bet you the Admistrators will take the Moderator's side in it. Its kind of like reporting a cop, the department will just take their guy's side 99% of the time.

I think you did the right thing by just starting fresh and moving on. But it is wrong, as you have to remake your friends list, etc.

I'd tell you to be careful but if what you say is true, I'm not really sure what to tell you to be careful of. He sounds a bit crazed with power. All I can suggest is not using the forum he Moderates. Its a shame when one bad egg ruins the enjoyment for everyone. I'd tell ya to report to the Moderators, but the bad egg is the Moderator, so best just to avoid that guy's forum. Likely he'll just zap you again and again until you finally go away. He doesn't like ya for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyfrost01. View Post
some people just don't like to be disagreed with and all they can do to ya is create a 5 minute inconvenience. I'm sure they know you can come right back, but its all they can do to you.

my opinion is that the blocked person isn't necessarily always the antogonist, although they probly are in most cases, but even Ops have a few bad eggs that overuse their power.

someone didn't like what I said, so I asked them to remove my posts if it bothered them that much. It wasn't anything contraversial, so I really don't understand the issue. Next thing I know the posts were not only removed but my entire profile is removed. Why? That was overkill and I didn't break any TOS by asking my posts to be removed. And since I'm obviously posting right now with a new screen name, it must have just been meant to be a virtual punch in the face cuz "they can". Which is power abuse and being a bully, simple and plain.

I wish there was a way to report the people that do this.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM

435 posts, read 484,002 times
Hey! Check out MY rep ratio!

(Okay, that was about the most meaningless post I've ever made! Bound to ruin my rep ratio!! )

Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM

6,811 posts, read 8,903,571 times
I have to say, 101/106 is a very impressive ratio! That's a .95!

To answer the person who disagreed with my rep-to-post ratio theory: Yes, I do recognize that someone can earn points by being knowledgeable or funny in one area, but know nothing about other areas. But that's why I also look at the person's statistics. You can see where they have posted, and use that info to decide how heavily you would weigh their advice.

To use Sactobankergirl as an example, she has earned a rep point for almost every post (101 out of 106) so that tells me that in general people have a postive response to her posts (could be that she's very informative or very witty, who knows?) But then I see that she has most of her posts in "relationships," followed by "St. Louis." So if I were seeking relationship advice, and Sactobankergirl gave me a piece of advice that I thought sounded pretty good, I might be inclined to consider her advice, going on the assumption that others have found her input similarly helpful. Also if I were going to move to St. Louis, I might similarly respect her advice about different neighborhoods. She has no posts (nor points) in a topic like "Alaska," "Food & Drink" or "Investing" so I have no reason to consider her advice in those areas.

Regarding the example of the guy who got tons of points by making wise-cracks about sports, he could end up with lots of rep points, but if he gives advice to someone on applying to graduate school or cooking the Thanksgiving turkey, it might not be as valuable as his take on last night's game.

So my point still stands. If someone offers advice, and it sounds reasonable to you, check their rep-to-post ratio, check the topic areas in which they earned all those points, and then decide if the advice sounds right for you, considering to how reputable the person is. If they post factual info in their post, ALWAYS check the info with another source. Someone with a good ratio may be statistically more likely to check his facts before posting about factual info, but not necessarily. Plenty of people in the employment area, for example, post that such-and-such is illegal, when there are no such laws to back that up.

Anyway, I still like my rep point ratio idea. It's just like checking the consumer feedback on an item on Amazon before buying it.

And congrats to Sactobankergirl, and thanks for letting me use you as an example. Here's two more for ya!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM

435 posts, read 484,002 times
Well, another thing to consider is this:

I rarely have a post that says "Hey, I agree with you!" or "Have a great weekend!" I don't post very often and usually only when I feel I have something valuable to add to the conversation. So, I guess you could say that I post conservatively. I think that helps my ratio.

I also try NOT to post on topics where I know I have limited knowledge.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 PM

6,811 posts, read 8,903,571 times
"I also try NOT to post on topics where I know I have limited knowledge."

If only everyone followed this wisdom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment