Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,361,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
its tuff, but, you have to do what you have to do. As of today, I have been unemployed for 6 months, I was told on Friday, I was being investigated for a job, if my background check came back clear I had the job, The job has great benefits, only a little less than what I was making a year ago, but, closer to home, and the benefits, again are great. Lots of potential. 5 minutes ago I got the email that said welcome, you're onboard. So, 6 months ago, at this time on Nov. 14, I was laid off, now on May 14, Im told to start to work on Mon the 18, longest I have ever been unemployed in my life.
Congratulations!!! I can't wait to hear that news!!

I've been unemployed now 5 months (yesterday) and lots of jobs I apply to are at a slightly lower level than what I'm used to but I have no issue with that. That issue is not coming across as overqualified to the employer who makes the decision on whether I get an interview or not. Hiring managers seem very skeptical about hiring the overqualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,109,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Congratulations!!! I can't wait to hear that news!!

I've been unemployed now 5 months (yesterday) and lots of jobs I apply to are at a slightly lower level than what I'm used to but I have no issue with that. That issue is not coming across as overqualified to the employer who makes the decision on whether I get an interview or not. Hiring managers seem very skeptical about hiring the overqualified.

Which temporary agencies do you like and have signed up with? I think it helps if you sign up with an agency who is run by a single proprietor, who is highly invested in getting you a job. I have had my most success with those types, recently!

I am not sure what people mean by over qualified... does this mean that you have no experience in the job you are applying for, but have lots of other skills.

Or you have 5 plus years of recent experience and you are trying to get a job as an entry level person and the employer doesn't want a seasoned person.

It is also interesting, since to pick up pin money, I have recently worked waitressing, making food baskets, folding clothes for a retail shop and no one said we can't hire you because you have a bachelors/masters. But perhaps the reason why, was because these were temporary jobs.

But I know that when I worked as a file clerk, they were only interested in the fact that I was a full-time student, since they don't want to hire someone part-time WHO is looking for full-time work.

Their aim is to save themselves from having to re-advertise and re-interivew and possibly re-train.

just a thought!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,361,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Which temporary agencies do you like and have signed up with? I think it helps if you sign up with an agency who is run by a single proprietor, who is highly invested in getting you a job. I have had my most success with those types, recently!
I've spoken to reps from 4 and none have found me anything. 3 I never heard from again even after following up and one only sent me telemarketing-type jobs which I have no desire to do.

Quote:
I am not sure what people mean by over qualified... does this mean that you have no experience in the job you are applying for, but have lots of other skills.
Or you have 5 plus years of recent experience and you are trying to get a job as an entry level person and the employer doesn't want a seasoned person.
Yeah, that is exactly it. They want someone with less experience and education (I often see ads for recent grads or "some college). I think for them, they view those candidates are more likely to stay longer and take it seriously instead of being a temporary situation.

Quote:
It is also interesting, since to pick up pin money, I have recently worked waitressing, making food baskets, folding clothes for a retail shop and no one said we can't hire you because you have a bachelors/masters. But perhaps the reason why, was because these were temporary jobs.
I actually haven't gone this route just yet cause I felt I was close to an offer many times but decided if none come by month's end, I'd start looking there. We'll see.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

I actually haven't gone this route just yet cause I felt I was close to an offer many times but decided if none come by month's end, I'd start looking there. We'll see.
You might want to try it, since in my own particular situation, with only one phone call to a temp. agency, I was offered to interview for an above 48k job. And a short term project. So, 2 job interviews with only one call.

p.s. to give you background, i have never worked for this agency, but I have interviewed with them in the past and just kept their contact in my hotmail, when i had a set-back in my fortunes last week.

again good luck!

Last edited by gea12345; 05-17-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
You might want to try it, since in my own particular situation, with only one phone call to a temp. agency, I was offered to interview for an above 48k job. And a short term project. So, 2 job interviews with only one call.

p.s. to give you background, i have never worked for this agency, but I have interviewed with them in the past and just kept their contact in my hotmail, when i had a set-back in my fortunes last week.

again good luck!

What Agency is this? And how long is short term? I was going to ask why would you do short term but you did say it was over 48K so I can understand.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
What Agency is this? And how long is short term? I was going to ask why would you do short term but you did say it was over 48K so I can understand.

Thanks, but don't you already have 3 possible jobs. Also, the agency is for legal people.

Good luck next week!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Thanks, but don't you already have 3 possible jobs. Also, the agency is for legal people.

Good luck next week!

I had no plans on going to it was just curious-lol

Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I had no plans on going to it was just curious-lol

I just hope that Ms. Crabcakes takes the suggestion and then lets us know how it works. And yes, it does help if you go to a specialized temp. agency, then a generalized one.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I just hope that Ms. Crabcakes takes the suggestion and then lets us know how it works. And yes, it does help if you go to a specialized temp. agency, then a generalized one.
So when do you start?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So when do you start?

june 4th!.... well, depending on how it works out tomorrow. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment