Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
true true. There's is that stereotype that a man will no more about hardware, plumbing or auto repair, even though we all know inside thats not really true nowadays.

I was thinking about places that sell clothes and the like (department store chains)
I've experienced that first hand. As a female who has a few ASE certifications under her belt AND a former Home Depot Specialty Manager many people (especially women, which is odd) do not trust a female on 'man things'. Especially one who does not fit the stereotype of a woman mechanic/hardware store employee.

I noticed that I had a niche market and that more customers would request and remember the lone female (especially one who is 6'1 ) than a 'normal' male.

As far as job searches, when I was coming off of disability and looking for a new job I purchased a few new outfits (slacks, nice shoes, button up shirts etc.) had my hair dyed and cut and bought a few new things of makeup. I wouldn't go so far as getting botox (of course, I wouldn't do that anyway..yuck) or new teeth, but I think following trends in business wear and making it look as though you're actually trying to get a job helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've experienced that first hand. As a female who has a few ASE certifications under her belt AND a former Home Depot Specialty Manager many people (especially women, which is odd) do not trust a female on 'man things'. Especially one who does not fit the stereotype of a woman mechanic/hardware store employee.

I noticed that I had a niche market and that more customers would request and remember the lone female (especially one who is 6'1 ) than a 'normal' male.
Notice I used ages in my example. It wasn't just a male/female, it was also an age thing. A 19 year old isn't going to have the long term experience of trial and error that a 55 year old does. Gender is inconsequential. That said, I'm not going to let a guy measure me for a new bra, even if he claims to ahve been doing it for 30 years.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Yeah it does depend on what type of store you are in or product. Like if I go into Best Buy to buy a Classic TV comedy on DVD, what in the world is a young attractive person going to do for me? I would prefer someone older than 40 who has knowledge of comedies from the 60's and 70's

Old 05-15-2009, 01:01 PM

204 posts, read 813,291 times
I don't think dressing well can get you a job, but dressing badly can lose you the job to another candidate. You should try to look as sharp as you feel comfortable being.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
I don't think dressing well can get you a job, but dressing badly can lose you the job to another candidate. You should try to look as sharp as you feel comfortable being.

Just like a woman's outfit won't gauruntee a 2nd date but if she has a bad outfit that will gauruntee no 2nd date-lol

Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If I go to buy clothes, I don't want some little bleached blonde overly made up PopTart in skinny jeans and a tank top with her pierced naval hanging out waiting on me. She might be cute, but she's probably not going to have the same taste in clothes that I do. I'd rather have the pudgy middle aged woman who can identify with my age and suggest items I'd actually want to try on, let alone buy.

When I was 20 I would have wanted the PopTart, my thought would be that the middle aged lady would want me to dress like my grandmother.

Think about the Disney Store. They are all sizes and shapes, but all have a natural look. On the other hand Hot Topic employees are also all shapes and sizes, but they've got an edgy look. I wouldn't want a Disney look person waiting on me in Hot Topic any more than I'd want a Hot Topic employee waiting on me in Disney.

It's all relevent. The sales person needs to represent the retailer they work for in image.
Why do I have the feeling if I said I'd want the middle aged guy selling me the clothes, you'd prefer the Pop Tart? LOL j/k

If I say its black , you'll say its white ....just cuz

Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Notice I used ages in my example. It wasn't just a male/female, it was also an age thing. A 19 year old isn't going to have the long term experience of trial and error that a 55 year old does. Gender is inconsequential. That said, I'm not going to let a guy measure me for a new bra, even if he claims to ahve been doing it for 30 years.
I'm 25 now, worked in the auto business full time from the age of 17-21 (worked part time in my dad shops from the time I was about 11), hardware from 21-24 and now the aviation industry for the past year.

So I got the brunt of age AND gender issues

Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM

107 posts, read 221,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think following trends in business wear and making it look as though you're actually trying to get a job helps a lot.
I agree, but I also think it's sad that people are such conformists/sheep on those things.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
I agree, but I also think it's sad that people are such conformists/sheep on those things.
lol ya on that note, I usually have to go buy something to wear for the interview, then return it the next day as I don't have any fancy clothes or the money to afford em. I once bought a $500 suit just for an interview. I go tthe job, but returned the suit. I couldn't afford it and the job dress code didn't require me to be that dressed up. It was just for the interview.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
lol ya on that note, I usually have to go buy something to wear for the interview, then return it the next day as I don't have any fancy clothes or the money to afford em. I once bought a $500 suit just for an interview. I go tthe job, but returned the suit. I couldn't afford it and the job dress code didn't require me to be that dressed up. It was just for the interview.
How did you return an altered suit? Every suit my husband has ever bought had unhemmed pants. Once they are hemmed, there are no returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search