U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 PM

24,973 posts, read 30,532,917 times
Post News, Job Hunt Makeover: How Far Should You Go?

When Victoria Zamensky decided to look for an office job this year after working for herself for a decade, she didn't just polish up her resume and interviewing skills. She polished up her smile and smoothed out a few wrinkles too.

Job Hunt Makeover: How Far Should You Go? - ABC News
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,190 times
As a recruiter who has overseen the hiring of hundreds of people, I can tell you that the most qualified applicants are rarely hired. The people with the look/age/race and personalities that fit in best with the team are always hired first. If you are unqualified you will likely not be hired. But usually everyone interviewed will have a similar background. It sure does not hurt to be good looking and younger looking.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:14 AM

23,562 posts, read 31,086,304 times
I have a friend who is very qualified for the type of work she's looking for and is expecting reasonable wages. She's having trouble landing a job, and I suspect it's because she looks older than she is. In her early 50's she's got the wrinkles of someone 10-20 years older. She cuts her own hair, and it shows. She doesn't normally wear makeup, so when she does wear it it tends to look clown-ish because she really doesn't know how to put it on to look natural. She doesn't wear stylish clothing--her only business suit is about 20 years old and 20 pounds small.

In all honesty I can see why she's having trouble landing a job, she doesn't look polished. I think that how you look has a direct impact on how an interviewer judges how you'll do your work. The perception will be that if you look sloppy, your work will be sloppy. If you look great your work will be great.

I'm not sure that I would ever go to the extremes of getting veneers and Botox, but I sure as heck would wear a stylish suit, and be neatly groomed with polished shoes and a good haircut. I try to portray my physical appearance as youthful, well groomed, and stylish. That translates to an interviewer as energetic, well organized, and up on the latest trends.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,339,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As a recruiter who has overseen the hiring of hundreds of people, I can tell you that the most qualified applicants are rarely hired. The people with the look/age/race and personalities that fit in best with the team are always hired first. If you are unqualified you will likely not be hired. But usually everyone interviewed will have a similar background. It sure does not hurt to be good looking and younger looking.
There's a lot of truth to that. No employer is ever going to admit to something illegal like discrimination when they can just give a canned response. You can't really prove discrimination without alot of effort that most people won't bother doing.

On a lesser job scale, in retail type jobs, they are more likely to hire some young attractive person to draw customers and be all charming, than older or out of shape people. Not that they don't hire those, but its more likely the cute 20 yr old girl is gonna get the job than the okay looking, middle aged overweight man to sell something.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
On a lesser job scale, in retail type jobs, they are more likely to hire some young attractive person to draw customers and be all charming, than older or out of shape people. Not that they don't hire those, but its more likely the cute 20 yr old girl is gonna get the job than the okay looking, middle aged overweight man to sell something.
I think it depends on what they are selling.

If I go into Home Depot I'm far more likely to seek out the advice of the 55 year old man with the weathered face and the bit of a belly over the way too perky 19 year old female. Mentally my brain is telling me that the man is going to ahve had a lot more experience fixing or building things, and is going to be able to give me real-life advice gained through years of trial and error rather than something they learned in a two hour class and have never actually done hands on.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,339,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think it depends on what they are selling.

If I go into Home Depot I'm far more likely to seek out the advice of the 55 year old man with the weathered face and the bit of a belly over the way too perky 19 year old female. Mentally my brain is telling me that the man is going to ahve had a lot more experience fixing or building things, and is going to be able to give me real-life advice gained through years of trial and error rather than something they learned in a two hour class and have never actually done hands on.
true true. There's is that stereotype that a man will no more about hardware, plumbing or auto repair, even though we all know inside thats not really true nowadays.

I was thinking about places that sell clothes and the like (department store chains)

Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,635,774 times
Seems like here all I see is over 60 year olds working. Vermont is one of the oldest state 'demographically' so it's not a bad thing to be older. Bad to this overqualified thing again, I think that a lot of places have trouble hiring people they know they cannot make ridiculous demands of or push around. A person with less experience and education is more likely to let them take advantage of him or her.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...so they say.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:46 AM

If I go to buy clothes, I don't want some little bleached blonde overly made up PopTart in skinny jeans and a tank top with her pierced naval hanging out waiting on me. She might be cute, but she's probably not going to have the same taste in clothes that I do. I'd rather have the pudgy middle aged woman who can identify with my age and suggest items I'd actually want to try on, let alone buy.

When I was 20 I would have wanted the PopTart, my thought would be that the middle aged lady would want me to dress like my grandmother.

Think about the Disney Store. They are all sizes and shapes, but all have a natural look. On the other hand Hot Topic employees are also all shapes and sizes, but they've got an edgy look. I wouldn't want a Disney look person waiting on me in Hot Topic any more than I'd want a Hot Topic employee waiting on me in Disney.

It's all relevent. The sales person needs to represent the retailer they work for in image.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,635,774 times
If I conduct business (go to a clerk or in an office) I don't care what the person looks like. I just want the job done efficiently.

I expect to speak to a person who knows how to communicate in English, knows what to do to finish my transaction correctly and that is about it.

I don't care if he or she is 65 and an granny in a cheap suit from 1950 or some GQ model.

As far as a person over the phone, they have to be able to speak clearly and be helpful.

None of these requires a person to 'change' who they are on the outside.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM

107 posts, read 105,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think that a lot of places have trouble hiring people they know they cannot make ridiculous demands of or push around.
Ah, yes, that makes a lot more sense than the idea that companies aren't hiring overqualified people because they're worried about them not staying long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment