Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,680,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholaiGinovaef View Post
Well, I worked at a call center for AT&T (Sales and Services).. On the 11th of this month I was dealing with an irate customer. After the customer hung up, I said "**** you".. Earlier today, my supervisor called me in for a meeting.. She told me that corporate had heard my call.. Apparently they can still hear after the call has ended and heard my remark..

I had really great sales, always followed my call flow, my talk time always met goal, and my QA scores were always passing.. My supervisor told me she tried to talk to corporate to save me but they didn't budge and told her to terminate me.. She told me to use her as a reference and that she would say good things about me..

It's not that I mind getting terminated, but my main problem is going to apply for another job.. I'm pretty sure the employer is going to ask why I was terminated..

What should I say to the employer if they ask me why I was terminated..? Can they find out what exactly I was fired for..? What should I do when applying for a new job..?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks..
I would just tell the new employer exactly what you just told us. They can't find out from the employer exactly why you were fired -- that's now against the law -- but under the right circumstances it looks great if you tell them yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,689,601 times
legally they don't need a reason to terminate employment, you just gave them a reason: offering poor customer service and damaging reputability.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
legally they don't need a reason to terminate employment, you just gave them a reason: offering poor customer service and damaging reputability.
I'm confused - is this comment directed towards the OP? He/she says that there was no problem with the job requirements and that the alleged reason for firing was because "corporate" heard the "**** you" which was said AFTER THE CALL WAS DISCONNECTED.

IMO the employers were idiots to use that as an excuse but they have their own agenda, may have had other reasons for terminating the OP and slim04 gave by far the best advice under the circumstances. Cheers!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM

708 posts, read 716,623 times
Every company has rules. We drug test and your company curse tests. Deal with it.
Probably better jobs out there anyway.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:37 PM

23 posts, read 13,303 times
Nothing is private anymore. They tape calls. My spouse will only call me on his cell phone, not his work phone. Employers can also track everything employees post online at their computer, through their IT department. Every keystroke can be recorded. That's why I wouldn't check email at work because they can know what your password is, same thing for posting on social media, message boards, etc. (I won't even post here from work).

Old 06-02-2017, 03:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Every company has rules. We drug test and your company curse tests. Deal with it.
Probably better jobs out there anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchpest View Post
Nothing is private anymore. They tape calls. My spouse will only call me on his cell phone, not his work phone. Employers can also track everything employees post online at their computer, through their IT department. Every keystroke can be recorded. That's why I wouldn't check email at work because they can know what your password is, same thing for posting on social media, message boards, etc. (I won't even post here from work).
This thread is from 2009, I would venture to guess that the issue has been resolved since the
original poster has only one post which is the first one in this thread.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:40 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholaiGinovaef View Post
Well, I worked at a call center for AT&T (Sales and Services).. On the 11th of this month I was dealing with an irate customer. After the customer hung up, I said "**** you".. Earlier today, my supervisor called me in for a meeting.. She told me that corporate had heard my call.. Apparently they can still hear after the call has ended and heard my remark..

I had really great sales, always followed my call flow, my talk time always met goal, and my QA scores were always passing.. My supervisor told me she tried to talk to corporate to save me but they didn't budge and told her to terminate me.. She told me to use her as a reference and that she would say good things about me..

It's not that I mind getting terminated, but my main problem is going to apply for another job.. I'm pretty sure the employer is going to ask why I was terminated..

What should I say to the employer if they ask me why I was terminated..? Can they find out what exactly I was fired for..? What should I do when applying for a new job..?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks..
I would be honest.

It is not such a big offense and it is not like you were stealing or similar. Just say you were dealing with a particularly difficult customer and said it after the call ended. The wrong person overheard it.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 PM

78 posts, read 57,329 times
First of all congratulations. You have joined the ranks of those who have been terminated! 90% of the population! It's easy in right to hire/fire territory like the good ole U.S of A.

Ok, onto next job. I understand your fear. I had the same concern. However. I'm on job 3 post termination and 2 of those were promotions. What I will say is your job does not really care why you left. They want to hear a story that shows you are accountable, mature and not a risk. I've always been transparent without lying.

" My company was in a culture transition and I found myself on the short end of the stick with the changes. I learned to stay flexible and used the opportunity to reposition my self in X industry to enhancement my skills and seek a greater challenge in this industry."

Good luck! And don't forget to go for that Unemployment! You qualify if you are fired in most cases (depends on their case)

End of Story-it's true-why is not important and I've never been asked to go deeper in my situation(phew). The key is to never let them see you sweat, never dog out your former anything and always have a solution to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment