Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times

Advertisements

I have just read an internet article by a non-profit supervisor who has the opinion that letters of recommendations are worthless!

What do you think?

In my experience, they have been very helpful, particularly if the letter was written by an employer who has a reputation with my potential employer. Actually, I got hired two hours after I interviewed. (psst, I don't think they had a chance to actually call and reach my references, but obviously, I don't know.)

Another thing I like about letters of recommendation, is that it gives me a chance to focus the person on my contributions. They have to think about me, in my own light, rather than as their helper.

So, have they helped you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
As an employer I've always been impressed with letters of recommendation accompanying a job application - but have ALWAYS checked on them to verify their authenticity.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Well, it is a good thing, I kept researching. This way, you realize that there is more than one way to feed a cat! ;-) lol (feed a cat, sounds better than skin a cat...) hmmmm

"When leaving a position you should ask for a letter of recommendation from your manager. As time passes and people move on, it's easy to lose track of previous employers, so with letters in hand, in advance, you'll have written documentation of your credentials to give to prospective employers. If you haven't done so already, it's never to late to go back and ask for letters from previous employers to include in your personal files. "

Letters of Recommendation - Recommendation Letters and References

"Someone has to break it to you, so it's going to be me: Please stop with the letters of recommendation. Don't attach them to your resume and don't offer them up at the interview. I know you feel good about them but, unfortunately, they aren't useful."

Letters of Recommendation Are Worthless - On Careers (usnews.com)

Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
They are meaningless.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
You can always get recommendations via your LinkedIn profile.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You can always get recommendations via your LinkedIn profile.
I've actually done this myself. I have a few recommendations on my Linkedin profile from former senior managers that I have worked directly with. I figure if a potential future employer decides to google my name, he will come across my linkedin profile and he/she is more than welcome to read my recs.

However, I have never included a letter of recommendation with my resume for job consideration unless I was asked to. I supposed it would not hurt (assuming they are true letters or rec).

Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I've actually done this myself. I have a few recommendations on my Linkedin profile from former senior managers that I have worked directly with. I figure if a potential future employer decides to google my name, he will come across my linkedin profile and he/she is more than welcome to read my recs.

However, I have never included a letter of recommendation with my resume for job consideration unless I was asked to. I supposed it would not hurt (assuming they are true letters or rec).
You can also put "testimonials" on your personal website.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I got my current job based on the letter of recommendsation I sent with my resume. Out of over 200 applicants they narrowed it to three equally qualified people to interview, the recommendation from my previous boss gave me the leg up to get the job.

That said, it's a small company. Had it been a large corporation, I don't think it would have mattered.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I have but I don't know that it mattered or not.

Seems an easy thing to fake nowadays, even if someone calls to verify it, the person getting the call could just be an old buddy do a good acting job for your benefit. I wouldn't put much stock in them.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM

Well, my last recommendantion, came from three of the attorneys I currently work with. I had them all sign plus the paralegal I helped.

What I liked about it as mentioned above was 1) It forced them to think of me as a commodity rather than a helper; and 2) It got them involved in writing the recommendation, which if it does anything helped them appreciate me more while I am still there! 3) Also, it is something that prepares them for the inevitable reference call; and 4) It helps them see me in the way I want to be seen, since to prepare them for the recommendation, I wrote down all of the significant projects I worked on.

Why? Because people are really NOT thinking about you, until they need you. You think they realize that you spent 60 hours researching or interviewing witnesses. But they don't unless they have to pay for your time, but if you work overtime off the clock they are just happy with the finished project, but don't care what went into getting it on their desk.

People really don't care and are not thinking about you!! Until you persuade them to think about you!!

I now understand "those" people who are constantly propagandizing themselves. Making comments on what they did, how long it took and what they still have to do and basically how great they are. Because if you don't, people are just thinking about themselves and what pile of work they have to contend with.

So, letters of recommendations accomplish this!

Also, as mentioned above, If the attorney who is interviewing me, worked or has had relationships with the person who wrote the letter of reference, it can push you to the top of the pile!

Well, it did with me!

just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment