Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Do you have a mentor? What have they taught you? Who are they? If you were going to be a mentor to someone in their 20s just starting out what would you say? What would be your approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:31 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Do you have a mentor? What have they taught you? Who are they? If you were going to be a mentor to someone in their 20s just starting out what would you say? What would be your approach?
I was working as a flight instructor, in love, wanted to get married, didn't make crap for money but one of my primary flight students owned a fire sprinkler company.

He knew I wasn't happy (flying gets old after a while) and offered me a job learning how to layout fire sprinklers.

We talked, he offered the pay that was instantly double what I was making so I jumped on it. He refused, told me to take the weekend to really think it over.

On Monday I told him I wanted to try it, he said ok on one condition. He made me promise on my honor as a man I would stick it out for six months and not quit regardless. After six months if I wanted to leave I could and no hard feelings.

I agreed, showed up for "work" a week later and after I had been there an hour I so wanted to walk out.

But I kept my word, we had shook hands on it and I had given the most important thing in my life... my word.

Over 35 years later I am still here. Been a good ride all in all.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I was always just one of the best at what I do. Until I met an older man who just finally hung up his tools to go into management. He saw what I was capable of and always pushed me to the limits. Sorta like a great sports coach.

He taught me the following:

1...If you don't push to be perfect in every thing you do then you will always be just average.

2...Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

3...Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

These things only will work of course if you love what you do, want to be the best, greatest and 2nd to none, and dont really think of making a name for yourself in the future but to make it now.

The most important to me is I would never ever want to be just average at what I do. He taught me to burn for perfection and never anything less. What good is average?

But whatever you do learn in life that might be above and beyond, make sure you pass it down or pay it forward.

Last edited by desertsun41; 05-17-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
How about you, Dingler, do you have a mentor? Why not share some of your own experiences? In the past, you used to post that you had trouble finding a job. Have you found one yet?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I thought this might be a good thread.

Guess not.

Come on everyone, have you never taken advice and capitalized on it?

No wonder we are in a very deep economic depression which will probably not end for another dozen or more years from now. No one wants to listen to anyone else who might know more.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
a very loose leash but dont lie. self paced program.
on this one dont tell him what he wants to hear, or he will hate you later.
if he had wanted to be in the army he would have signed up, you are a cheap 2nd.
remember he is utterly unwilling to do what you went thru to get where you are.
if you are a winner, this is true about most people you are guna meet in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment