Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times

Advertisements

Forgive me. I'm a bit upset right now because a marketing job I was hoping to get and felt would be a great fit for me just let me know that they decided to make the job more administrative and thus, found me overqualified, then thanked me for my time, good luck on my search blah, blah, blah. They mentioned the admin part during my 2 interviews and I reiterated several times how I was fine with that. But now I'm out.

And obviously frustrated. This is one of several times I've been told I'm overqualified. I have 5 years marketing exp. and a master's degree but it seems the majority of jobs I hit want less education or less experience. Years ago, I was told 'get a master's, it will help you stay competitive.' Now it seems to be holding me back.

Regardless, I need work and decided to explore waitressing or possibly retail jobs for part-time cash (that is if I can get an interview). But it has me wondering, what is gonna happen to those deemed overqualified?

At this end of this recession, will we end up with lots of recent college grads and people with less then 3 yrs. exp and no college degrees in the best jobs and tons of overqualified waiting tables and delivering pizza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
The economy is cyclical. As we come out of the recession more jobs will be created and more experienced people will be hired. It's going to take a little more time, but you will find a job that will allow you to use your skills and abilities. :-)

In all honesty if you "settle" it will take your career back a step.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I have the same problem.

My husband has made me promise not to dumb down my resume. I have a lot of business experience, a Masters in Education and I cannot find a job.

I am attempting to get my certification or get an aide job in schools here in my area (I moved up here about 2 years ago from NY). My last ditch attempt is to get into a school system and save enough to pursue a teaching career again.

The job interviews come few and far between for me because I am overqualified. The last two were TEMP jobs in offices but I didn't get either. I know how to dress, I am articulate, and I have the requisite friendly and bubbly personality. I have great references from my last job. The problem is NO ONE is hiring here. There are freezes everywhere. I have done the 'send the resume on spec' thing to many, many companies without any results. The agency I am with specializes in helping mothers get back into the work force and they have not had ANYTHING for me apart from one interview in Sept. and one in April (where the company we interviewed with chose their own candidate outside the agency.)

I don't know what the future holds. It's frustrating, for sure. Retail is not an option unless someone wants me just for day work. I can't work nights, so should I even bother trying??

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In all honesty if you "settle" it will take your career back a step.
I'm honestly getting so many mixed messages on this.

Some advise to aim lower, meaning lower pay, so I can land a job and not be labeled overqualified. Others say, not to lower expectations at all and that with my education, I should expect XYZ. I don't know.

All I know is I need work and money soon.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
My wife has a Bachelor's Degree in Business/Accounting and she has had an extremely hard time finding a full-time job as a Senior Accountant.......the Economy and "hiring freezes" are her problem! She has been on a "Contract" status with an Agency since February, but that will end next month. And, even though her Degree/Experience is important in her job search, she got her Degree in 1997 and some Accounting procedures have definitely changed since then (and she was told this). Of course, her age isn't on her side either.....61 years old.
As for me, at age 60, I have no Degree......but sure wish I did! I have taken some on-line classes in Purchasing/Inventory and along with both my civilian and military experience in those areas, I'd think I wouldn't be having so hard of a time finding a job myself........WRONG!! I'm beginning to think that most companies don't even care about military experience or about on-line classes! What they want to see is a college degree (that is only a few years old) AND experience!
It's hard out there right now, absolutely no doubt about that!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It's hard out there right now, absolutely no doubt about that!!!!!!
Yeah, no doubt!

I'm trying to keep my head up while I sit here applying to Red Lobster and Barnes & Nobles.

I've also been wondering if I should get a server job and end up working there for awhile, how will it affect me later on when I try to get back into marketing? If I leave it off my resume, I'll have this huge gap. If I leave it, it won't apply.

I'm afraid that having a large gap from doing marketing-related work will hinder me from getting more work and worse, my marketing skills may get rusty.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
I have plenty of years experience working Shipping/Receiving, Stockroom and Warehouse, but wife and I decided long ago that I just physically can not do that kind of work anymore......since my hip replacement and rotor cup surgery. And, the way is stands right now, we will be dipping into our retirement savings shortly (like other couples in their 60's plus age are). Oh well, "gotta do what we gotta do"!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Have you thought about going into business for yourself handling the marketing for local small businesses who need marketing done, but don't have the need or budget for a full time marketing employee? Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
I didn't go for a Master's Degree because it would only overqualify me for many Mechanical Engineering jobs that only require a BSME! There are only few job listings that ask for a Master's Degree!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you thought about going into business for yourself handling the marketing for local small businesses who need marketing done, but don't have the need or budget for a full time marketing employee? Just a thought.
I honestly have not thought of that. I'd be more comfortable working under the direction of someone. However, I have thought of doing freelance writing work and have been working on a portfolio and website to promote it. It's been slow going (some days my overall motivation is shot) but I'm hoping to have something up and running in the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment