Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:06 AM

652 posts, read 1,276,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I figured that the warning had something to do with unemployment and that they were trying to cover their a$$ and to keep me from being eligable for UI. I filed for UI the minute I got home the day I was let go. I did not have any problems receiving benefits though, thankfully.

Not trying to hijack the thread so I will leave it at that, there were other factors involved that made the whole termination in such bad form on their part. They are attys so they covered all their bases as far as setting me up for being fired....they made sure of that.
So if I let go can I still collect even though they warned me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
Well, the good news is nursing is in high demand, the bad news is, a new employer can use a bad refrence to low-ball your money. Thats basically what an interview is all about, the company trying to get you to take less money for your qualifications. If they call your previous employer for a reference, all they are aloud to say is wheather or not you are rehireable, what you were making, and the date you started, and finished working for your previous employer by law.
Just to clear things I am not a nurse. I understand that they allow to say wheather or not I am rehirable buy what if they say I am not, does that say enough?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Default re

I have talked to a lot of people and they told me to take this to HR and explain to them everything. Do you think it's a good idea? Also, I am going to request 30 days review to save my butt and yes in the meantime I am looking for another job.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
A similar situation happened to me last month. I was with the firm for over a year and then all of the sudden when I had no idea that my employer was not happy with my performance, I got a verbal repremand. I was let go 3 weeks after this warning.

Hopefully that will not happen in your case but I would start looking for other job opportunities. I wish I would have started looking for another job after I was called into the office for my verbal warning. I just thought I was being paranoid as well, I should have gone with my gut instinct though.

Best of luck to you and hope everything works out.
thank you. did you get a job already? do you worry about what kind of reference are you going to receive from them?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Default re

I also have to let you know that 2 months ago I received an e-mail from my supervisor congratulating me for our QA score. 2 months later I get a werbal warning telling me that I was rude with a patient which is absolutely not true and telling me other made up stories. I am so upset, I am still in shock. She told me, I might not have been rude with the patient on the phone I perceived myself like that and to me it's an assumption.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I also have to let you know that 2 months ago I received an e-mail from my supervisor congratulating me for our QA score. 2 months later I get a werbal warning telling me that I was rude with a patient which is absolutely not true and telling me other made up stories. I am so upset, I am still in shock. She told me, I might not have been rude with the patient on the phone I perceived myself like that and to me it's an assumption.

There is always going to be a client, employee, employer, customer who thinks your tone is not sincere.

I would suggest asking each client if there is anything you can improve.

Also, if it is permitted and not intimidating to your clients, perhaps you can give them customer feedback cards to mail into your supervisors.

just a thought!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
It happens! People are strange, and dysfunctional companies tend to let their best employees go, for some reason.

If a third party vendor has a complaint against you, ask to meet with your supervisor for a mentorship meeting. Ask for core points to improve on and a 30 day review. Have 30 day reviews until you have improved in their eyes. Put your requests in writing, so if you have to apply for U.C., you will have proof that you tried to ameliorate the situation!

good luck!
I thought that people put laid off not fired when they try to file for U.C. I have never been collected so I don't know. The third party vendor told these made up stories to my supervisor so I don't know what you mean by ask to meet a mentorship meeting? My OM said that the customer (vendor) is always right even if I didn't do those things. So what am I suppose to do when they say that?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I thought that people put laid off not fired when they try to file for U.C. I have never been collected so I don't know. The third party vendor told these made up stories to my supervisor so I don't know what you mean by ask to meet a mentorship meeting? My OM said that the customer (vendor) is always right even if I didn't do those things. So what am I suppose to do when they say that?

Yes, to both questions.

Yes, you can receive unemployment if terminated. I was terminated and I receive U.C.

Second. You need to respond to complaints! That is the bottom line to any complaint. How you respond will be judged by U.C. when you apply.

They have now given you a warning. Now you have to respond to it professionally. My suggestion is to ask to meet with the person who judges your work. Usually this is the person who pays you. Ask them to "help" you improve.

If you stick your head in the sand, and say, but no, they are lying. This will be an intractable situation. You have to respond to the warning, whether it is true or not. How you do this is up to you. My suggestion is just one way to skin the cat or accomplish the same thing.

Appearance of cooperation is almost as good as actual cooperation.

And obvioulsy, you will state in your memo that you absolutely refute the allegation of rudeness to any clients, BUT in an effort to be the best employee or contract employee, you would like to meet with your "boss" to come up with bench marks for improvement and then review this in 30 days!!

good luck!

p.s. You mentioned that they forward complaints/problems months after they have happened. You can be provactive. This can be as simple as calling your boss every Friday and "chatting" with him/her about any issues! You can also ask if it is possible to contact the vendor for their personnell relations person to ask for help from them.

p.p.s. If they are just out to get rid of you, for a reason unrelated to your skills or ability, then you will need to start job hunting as discussed above...

Last edited by gea12345; 05-23-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Default re

"And obvioulsy, you will state in your memo that you absolutely refute the allegation of rudeness to any clients, BUT in an effort to be the best employee or contract employee, you would like to meet with your "boss" to come up with bench marks for improvement and then review this in 30 days!!"

So can I still explain my situation by e-mail to HR and put the above note in and also I would send this to my supervisor? What about the warning letter, should I sign it or not? I am thinking to just add things to the warning letter but not sign it. I would add the note above you suggested and let them know I am willing to improve. What do you think?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
"And obvioulsy, you will state in your memo that you absolutely refute the allegation of rudeness to any clients, BUT in an effort to be the best employee or contract employee, you would like to meet with your "boss" to come up with bench marks for improvement and then review this in 30 days!!"

So can I still explain my situation by e-mail to HR and put the above note in and also I would send this to my supervisor? What about the warning letter, should I sign it or not? I am thinking to just add things to it but not sign it. I would add the note above you suggested. What do you think?

Yes, you have to sign it! But you can write ON it, that you 1) DENY the allegation. You were never rude to any client. And 2) You have requested weekly brief conversation with your boss to help you avoid any future misunderstandings. (dont' attach anything, Write ON the Report!)

But yes,you will have to sign it. Since all they will do is sign it, and state that you did have an opportunity to read it and read it, and refused to sign. This means they gave you a warning, which is the only point they are making to any decision making body, in the future.

It has been awhile since i had to sign progress reports. But if I remember correctly, I HAD to sign them, whether true or not. I just added my comments!

cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment