Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

I would call unemployment anonymously and explain the situation and ask what they would suggest you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I would call unemployment anonymously and explain the situation and ask what they would suggest you do.
I disagree. Go to the authorities up front.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,025 times
I don't know what the people who suggest that you talk to the "authorities" will be able to do for your situation. If you admit you lied, you will be ineligible for future benefits and you will likely be subject to repayment status for the overpayments you received while ineligible for the service.

I'd start with where you are... what is it you are trying to achieve right now? I don't think you were very clear with your initial post. The new program... are you asking whether or not to try and receive benefits and services of the new program while attending school? Or asking how to terminate employment benefits? I'm just not sure you ever clarified your goals.

You did ask for "general advice" and unfortunately, opinions at all ranges of the spectrum fall under that umbrella. My advisement would be to not do anything to f'up your chances at this educational opportunity. Accept the benefits of the new program and don't mess around with EB. There will come a time when the economy will recover and there will be investigations into the fraudulent claims.

Right now, unemployment benefits and Medicare are the two biggest scams going and there will be consequences for people's actions in some cases. I'm not making a judgment call on you... I don't doubt that you didn't need the money or you wouldn't have continued to file... but there are millions of people who need money right now and not all are defrauding the system to get it. Not all are fortunate enough to have an educational opportunity.

Sure, you might never get caught... but there's just as much chance that you will when they start comparing who received what services. Our country can't keep sustaining itself without cracking down on people who abuse our support systems... and part of this national reform is going to be investigations of recent abuse and tighter gatekeeping on new recipients. In the end, it's your decision as to what's worth being gambled at this moment in your life.

Good luck with the new program! Congrats on your acceptance.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Again a wrong answer. I don't know the laws in Michigan, but in some states it is perfectly acceptable to collect unemployment while receiving training or education at an approved facility.

I hope you aren't misleading your clients as badly as you mislead many on this board.
The same is true here in Florida. I went to the Career One Stop which is a Federally funded place that will help you look for work AND they will also under certain circumstances give you grants for school. Half the room of people that were there, were on unemployment and still eligble for the grant and help witih finding a job.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The same is true here in Florida. I went to the Career One Stop which is a Federally funded place that will help you look for work AND they will also under certain circumstances give you grants for school. Half the room of people that were there, were on unemployment and still eligble for the grant and help witih finding a job.
but I think the poster suggested, himself, that it was illegal in his state by saying that he had to lie to receive benefits...

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
but I think the poster suggested, himself, that it was illegal in his state by saying that he had to lie to receive benefits...
Actually I believe that he said he lied, but wasn't sure what the actual rules were. Big difference.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:
Actually I believe that he said he lied, but wasn't sure what the actual rules were. Big difference.
Correct. As it turns out since I initially made this post, I'd probably be eligable for unemployment compensation whether in school or not from the get go. The issue I was mainly concerned about is how I can go about legally getting my benefits now(the extended benefits), without getting bit in the ass by lying about school before. I could continue to lie, but now there is a requirement to document your search for work. The state of Michigan has a waiver for that, where you get it signed off by your professor every other week to show you're in school and therefor unable to look for work.

Thanks for those that have given advice, good or bad I've read it all.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
Smooth- I was in the same situtation... and there is a waiver at mich works however you do take a risk in losing your benefits- however there is a loophole around the whole "fraud" thing if you are already in school/training then technically you didnt lie to marvin by saying that you havent just begun new school....since you were already in it. I would do the NWLB thing since you deserve the help. And all you haters out there leaving this kid mean advice- thats not productive or helpful and if it were you youd prob do the same thing- after all, he is looking for work full time and thats all that matters, heck who in MI isnt starving for a good job! Chincy unemployment benefits are the least this state/fed government (in the case of EB's) can do for us... we need REAL jobs to be created in this country so people like smooth and other michiganders stop suffering.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
Question Nwlb

I've been laid off a year now and drawing unemployment (on 1st extension). I'm trying to get the No Worker Left Behind benefit for schooling/training in Graphic Design but am told I have to wait until Dec before I can see someone at Michigan Works to begin the process??!!
My daughter has allready completed Massage Therapist training paid by NWLB and anwered the questions truthfully as far as I know about going to school etc... I don't think you have to lie? I'm hopin that it (NWLB) works in conjuction with unemployment bennies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment