Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,040 times

Advertisements

One of the frustrations faced by many hiring managers is most applicants seem to lack any growth in their career or trade. Instead, they just do the same set of tasks year after year after year. They show no sign of any professional development, new certifications, new training, classes, seminars or work toward expanding their talents. Instead they just go to their jobs day each day and cruise.

Does your resume show career growth, what new skills have you learned, what new certifications have you obtained, have you attended classes since high school or college? What have you done to become an expert in your chosen field of work?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
You are the HR pro, why are you bothering to ask? Don't you have enough resumes to look through to answer your own question?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,224,652 times
O.K., I'll play.

Many people do not grow in their career because many jobs have no room for growth. Those are called dead end jobs and there are a lot of them out there.

Employers do not wish to offer time off for employees to go to seminars or training (which by the way are not free), they simply want their employees to do the job for which they were hired.

Many, many positions do not require any type of certification and there are no certifications available.

I am thinking the OP might be smart to quit his/her current position in HR and go into business for him/herself as an employment consultant.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times
I'll bite.

I went from a relatively easy job doing routine work to one one a much larger, broader scale where I was swamped busy and learned a ton of new skills. I also began managing projects with quadriple the amounts in marketing budgets and twice as many vendors. In the process I attended email marketing seminars and won 2 awards. I also finished a master's in marketing management a few years ago and have begun studying XHTML, CSS and web design.

If the position is relevent, I may add some of these accomplishments to my resume or cover letter.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One of the frustrations faced by many hiring managers is most applicants seem to lack any growth in their career or trade. Instead, they just do the same set of tasks year after year after year. They show no sign of any professional development, new certifications, new training, classes, seminars or work toward expanding their talents. Instead they just go to their jobs day each day and cruise.

Does your resume show career growth, what new skills have you learned, what new certifications have you obtained, have you attended classes since high school or college? What have you done to become an expert in your chosen field of work?
I think that's a great idea! If you show signs of professional development maybe YOU will get a job. And then you won't have to sit home pretending to be an HR recruiter.

Here's a few threads you started in the past:

I have not worked full time for seven years, now broke and need a job

How does anyone do the same thing every day--- for 8-10-12 hours?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ied-every.html

Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,040 times
Default Not me!

What you have done is link every banned poster to me. I was I was as smart as all those interesting posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think that's a great idea! If you show signs of professional development maybe YOU will get a job. And then you won't have to sit home pretending to be an HR recruiter.

Here's a few threads you started in the past:

I have not worked full time for seven years, now broke and need a job

How does anyone do the same thing every day--- for 8-10-12 hours?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ied-every.html

Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What you have done is link every banned poster to me. I was I was as smart as all those interesting posters.
You are the same poster, different name, different story. But the questions you ask are always the same. You have not had a job in years. You live in Virginia and work various temp jobs when you can get them.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,617 times
Well, in the last year I was trained to be the backup for the boss. I fill in for her when she is sick or on vacation. I also have taken over most of the duties of training the new hires. I guess it's not much but it seems to be some positive forward motion. The boss' boss asked her to call me and see if I would be available to come to the office this morning (I work at home usually) to become a super-user on the new system we are getting next month. I said, "super user? If I have a choice between just a user or a super-user, I definitely want to be a super-user. I'm in!" She also told me that her boss told her in a nice way that she is a crappy teacher, so her plan is that when she tells one of her people to "just do something, then you can say, 'and this is why!'" Heh. I thought that was so funny!

Anyway, that is about it. There is a credential I can get but I think it's basically bogus. I suppose I will break down and get it soon, though, just to have it.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
http://lukey.miauu.info/picsahz/cats/busted.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment