Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

A friend/neighbor asked for advice on California labor rules regarding permanent "On Call Status" at the local Hospital 24 hours a day and 7 days a week... including Holidays and Days Off.

The only time he is not on call is when he has approved vacation time off.

His wife has had it because work calls anytime... day, nights and weekends... Dad has had to leave or miss many family activities... Maybe 3 times a week he will have to drop everything and go back to work.

Dad's position is his job allows his wife the freedom to stay home and you do what you have to in support of your family... especially these days.

He is salaried, so my understanding is that professionals in salaried positions are often exempt from California labor laws...

Can anyone offer advice?

PS... I told him to resign and he said he would forfeit unemployment by resigning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I worked the oilfield for 23 years and that was part of the job. Or you didn't get it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I worked in management for quite some time, and my understanding is that if the position isn't covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act they can mandate "on call" as a job requirement:

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

I don't specifically know if California can override these requirements, however I doubt it.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
He is salaried, so my understanding is that professionals in salaried positions are often exempt from California labor laws...
Doesn't sound right. He should have some days that he is completely off work and not on call.

You can't just make someone "salaried" in order to use and abuse them. I believe there are some requirements that have to be fulfilled in order to be a salaried employee.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Usually in my experience, people who are on call are also paid a certain amount per hour while they are on call. I don't think they would be turning their life over to their job unless it was one hell of a job.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Thanks guys for the input... I think my advice to get another job might be the only option...

It's kind of Ironic that by law, Registered Nurses also part of the medical field are not exempted employee's even if they earn over 100k a year... many get 50% pay if they are on call and have to respond in 1 hour.

City emergency crews get on call pay with the reasoning the employee's can't stay home and get drunk watching a game if they are being paid.

Other professionals appear to be exempt... I would guess he's in the 75 to 80k range.

I know the only employee's with on call pay where he works are Registered Nurses... the Doctors are on call, but generally have the option to refuse since they don't actually work for the hospital...

Sounds like it's time to tell the wife it's either live with it or find something better.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I worked in management for quite some time, and my understanding is that if the position isn't covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act they can mandate "on call" as a job requirement:

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

I don't specifically know if California can override these requirements, however I doubt it.
Thanks for the link... I forwarded it to him and he said he doesn't meet any of the requirements for exempt status.

One interesting note I found in reading the link is Registered Nurses not in a supervisory position are not exempt per CA law... regardless of pay... I guess the Nurses have a very strong lobbying group

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
this is a medical job in a hospital environment, this is not a 9 to 5 job right?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM

13 posts, read 76,557 times
as you most likely know; each states laws vary. however, from personal experience and others i know, salaried positions allow companys to require more return(work hours, charity events, addtional responsibilities as they work through restructuring) for their monetary investment. As for Cali, i couldnt tell you, but you can online to your states labor laws.

Here's my take on this situation though; you have to be very careful about how you approach management about this. from a employers view they will only hear an employee complaining about thier job, and they will undoubtedly respond with "we can always find someone else", especially with high unemployment. I suggest presenting it to them as a beneficial situation(less chance of medical errors, minimizes litigation potential and cost, better care for your patients) and use monetary examples where ever possible, such as finding out the avg. cost of medical malpractice lawsuits. and while you do this always bee searching for a new job

Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this is a medical job in a hospital environment, this is not a 9 to 5 job right?
This is a facilities job in a Hospital Environment... they were paying him per Diem wages at one time... he would work 60 hours in one week and 25 the next...

Management called him in about 10years ago and offered him a full time position based on 40 hours a week with some of that time being after hours/weekends. With the last round of cutbacks... it's no different than anywhere else... the people remaining have to do more...

So no, it's not a punch in at 6 am and out at 2:30 kind of job...

As I understand it, comp time was figured in to balance but CA law no longer allows Comp Time for non government positions... I could be wrong?

I know people that are always on call... it's normally the owner of a small business... lots of industry has on call duties... from my experience, they normally rotate that responsibility among the rank and file.

I see how it would eventually wear a person down to never have an "Off Day" and then add to it family responsibilities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment