Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,373 times

Advertisements

Has anybody here had problems with a job trigerring depression or aggravating bipolar disorder? I am starting to feel the beginning of depression related to hating my job and I am very concerned. I think my girlfriend has been clinically depressed for the last 4 months and she still finds a way to go to work, how? I don't know! The whole idea of having to take meds because of a pathetic job is just absurd! My mental health comes first and yours should too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Oh yes.
I have never had serious depression though it runs in my family. I have never been out of work voluntarily this long.

I have "no job, low self esteem' depression.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. I am not having a pity party for myself, but you know, there are plenty of self destructive people who seem to cruise through life.

I've always done the right thing. I've gone to school, worked hard. Now I am just 'invisible.'

Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
I have a job right now that triggers my anxiety, and getting chewed out for stupid crap doesn't help my situation. I've been taking St. John's Wort, which has been helping.

Thankfully I'll be done with both of my jobs soon, because I'm going back to school full time.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I've been working at the same place for 8 years now, and am at about the end of my rope. The stress, frustration, and axiety are definately impacting my health at this point from a mental and physical standpoint. Depression runs in my family too.

In the beginning it wasn't that bad, but it has been building over the years, and gotten especially bad over the last 3 years. It is extremely difficult now just to motivate enough to get myself in on time in the morning.

I do have a lot of leave scheduled in the near future, and what keeps me going for now is making it to that leave, and then using the time to formulate a good job search plan and begin implementing it. I have tried to do so now, but the stress and feeling of being 'down' knowing I have to keep showing up here are preventing me from really being able to concentrate or make progress.

As always, your health should come first! If the job is triggering depression, and you are out of options to effectively cope, then I'd say the best thing to do begin working on finding a new job.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Take a little Xanax or some Elavil and you'll be just fine. Welcome to the real world.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I don't think you need meds. You need motivation and something outside your job to focus on.

Even if you send 3 unsolicited resumes a day or volunteer somewhere, do it. At least you will be focusing outside yourself.

Having a crappy job is just as bad as being unemployed because you feel trapped by both.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't think you need meds. You need motivation and something outside your job to focus on.

Even if you send 3 unsolicited resumes a day or volunteer somewhere, do it. At least you will be focusing outside yourself.

Having a crappy job is just as bad as being unemployed because you feel trapped by both.
Good advice. When your feeling down about your job, you can always lift your own spirits by reminding yourself that you are being proactive in bettering your situation by working towards finding new employment!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Has anybody here had problems with a job trigerring depression or aggravating bipolar disorder? I am starting to feel the beginning of depression related to hating my job and I am very concerned. I think my girlfriend has been clinically depressed for the last 4 months and she still finds a way to go to work, how? I don't know! The whole idea of having to take meds because of a pathetic job is just absurd! My mental health comes first and yours should too!
I'd quit.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
There are two kinds of ways depression can be triggered. One is situational, which means it is triggered by a specific situation that upsets you, such as hating your job. The other one is biochemical, which means that your brain has a chemical imbalance and that triggers the depression. As for bipolar disorder, that is wholly biochemical and is not triggered or aggravated by situations. If you are bipolar, you can have the best job in the world, but you will still be going off because of your brain chemistry.

If you are sure the depression is situational, then I would agree with the other posters who said to get another job you like better and then you should be back to your old self. However, if you have had other depression problems and think it is biochemical, I would recommend medication whether or not you leave your job. Since you did mention bipolar, I would definitely recommend medication if you think you have that also.

There is quite a stigma against taking medication in these cases because people think "it means I'm crazy and even worse, if I take the medication, everyone will know it!" All it means is that you have a chemical imbalance in the brain and it needs to be corrected. The same people who willingly take medication for high cholesterol or diabetes or any other common ailment refuse to take medication for depression or bipolar disorders and suffer needlessly. It is ridiculous.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,593 times
Bipolar disorder, clinical depression, and just situational blues are totally different animals. If you are feeling out of control emotionally, point blank, it's time to seek professional counseling. Sometimes talk therapy and lifestyle adjustments are enoguh and there's no need to seek medication for the issues.

Yes, severe and persistent mental illnesses are almost ALWAYS triggered by lifestyle change. Something as simple as a birthday can bring on a manic episode... so something as devastating as a job loss will almost always increase symptoms.

While your mental health is definitely important... I'm sure other things are important to you as well such as having a roof over your head and eating. Too often, I see individuals with mental illness lose sight of ALL priorities. When that happens, it takes a lot of caseworkers and professionals to guide them back on track to independence. I believe independent living and associated chores are possible for all but the very, very, very severe individuals (less than 2% of all people).

A good place to start is recognizing your strengths and limitations and building a life from that foundation. You have needs in multiple areas of life and neglecting some for o thers only leads to more problems down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment