Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM

8,012 posts, read 10,591,471 times

Advertisements

It's funny, there seems to be very little company loyalty towards the employee anymore, but they sure do still want and expect the employee to be loyal to the company! Pure HUBRIS going on in the board rooms of most corporations these days. This is a major part of the down-fall of our country, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,900,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Always remember, no matter what the company's "Mission Statement" or "Core Values" say, the purpose of the business is to make money.
I hate companies who publish "Mission Statements" and publicize their "Core Values". It's all hogwash, garbage and leave me the heck out of it.

The only purpose of a company is to make money. It's political correctness run amok and the very thought of values makes me want to puke.

I've seen it, have a $30 million dollar company come face to face with a $50k a day liquidated damage claim (in 10 days you'll be dealing with some serious money issues) and you'll see "mission statements" and "core values" disappear like clothes off a $2 stripper. Not as graphic as I wanted to be but I'm trying to keep it PG.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:05 AM

560 posts, read 1,546,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's funny, there seems to be very little company loyalty towards the employee anymore, but they sure do still want and expect the employee to be loyal to the company! Pure HUBRIS going on in the board rooms of most corporations these days. This is a major part of the down-fall of our country, in my opinion.
You could't have said it more beautifully! You are so right... Many companies go under due to mismanagement/mistreating their employees, etc but these days, they are lucky because they can use the "economy" excuse to protect their image when they go out-of-business. I haven't heard of too many companies prospering by mistreating their employees. Many companies who survive for many decades have competent upper management, because of that employee morale is high and happy employees do not leave because they feel valued! It's a shame how nowadays there are so many managers who should not even answer phones, let alone manage! How do these people get promoted to these jobs?????

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM

95 posts, read 227,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
I USED to believe in that whole 2 weeks notice thing as the honorable thing to do.

Until the Franchisee I worked for in 02 decided to close my location with No warning, to any of his employees! Where was my 2 week notice?

Layed off in Aug.08, before then all the company would talk about was all the money they were making over the previous year, and were looking to hire another 25 people in 09, then BAM, next week 20 people were layed off NO warning! Where was our 2 week notice?
i remember a company in north georgia around 02 closing, just locking the door and when employee reported for the next day, the place was completly locked up no one could get in. it was in computer sales, i think. i cant remember the name, but our contact at concentric systems was telling me about it.
i would freak if that happened to me.

i gave up company loyalty on my last job, worked it for 5.5 years, long hours, sometimes 22 hr days (i worked at a dealership one night time 3am). my boss just blew me off. so i got pregnant (unexpected, youngest child was 13 and told couldnt get preg without medical intervention, so was totally unplanned) i was treated different for a few weeks and then laid off out of the blue. so i left my loyalty there, i will approach each new job as a job not a lifeline and i now know that all things end and i am just an employee.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,819,326 times
I have worked for several in the past like that. Dollars for themselves, and promises for the employees. They demanded loyalty but gave none, the day I got laid off, I told him to his face, you get what you pay for, my loyalty is no longer being paid for, so you no longer get it. It brought him to his knees when OSHA, Texas State Insurance board, and the tax office reviewed his company. He found out how much I was protecting him and actually doing, cost the company over $50k in 1 month in fines and now they have to be inspected regularly every 6 months and he has to pay for them.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:00 PM

989 posts, read 1,873,499 times
Company loyalty is and has always been a myth and a misguided idea. Your loyalty belongs to yourself,friends and family. These are the people who will always be there, and won't discard you, because of a weak balance sheet.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Company loyalty is and has always been a myth and a misguided idea. Your loyalty belongs to yourself,friends and family. These are the people who will always be there, and won't discard you, because of a weak balance sheet.
I could not agree more with this statement .

Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
As far as what? I'll admit the company I work for isn't perfect, but I don't feel it's any better or worse than any other company in the same niche. Employment wise? Well--I went out looking for another place to work, because of burnout--I'd actually been with the same company for three years by then (but three different locations). Usually means it's time to go. However, I couldn't find another job that was going to pay me as MUCH as I was making already, and usually when I go for a new job, I start with a quarter raise over my last pay rate, minimum.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,182,463 times
I feel loyalty to my current company.

I have been here a little over a year, and they are just starting to send me to training classes, which does inspire some loyalty. In the next three months they will spend about $10,000 getting me trained and certified in different technologies. I would really feel like sh*t if I quit on them and used the certifications to get another job.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
Years in service is often mistaken as some kind of useful indicator of how valuable you are to a company. That is the union mentality.

So "loyalty" is grossly overrated as an employment issue. If you are no longer valuable, no matter how long you have been an employee - you are vulnerable.

The attitude of the OP is very sad. Maybe his employer is crappy - but the attitude of taking what you can from the company is childish and borderline criminal. If the company and job sucks - quit and get a better when. If the the time is bad for change - suck it up and restore your reputation. Or they'll fire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment