Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I would have spit in his pockets.
ROFL! I wish I had thought of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I would have spit in his pockets.
Great. I laughed and scared the cat. Hope you're happy.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Just wated to say I'm still laughing.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just wated to say I'm still laughing.
So am I.

That was so cool.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Just be glad I was never a waiter.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
The job fair I went to was mostly attended by older (30+) professionals who dressed nicely.

"significant number of people there with no copies of a resume" this was no big deal for this job fair as NO ONE was taking resumes, even though they told you to bring them. They all wanted to drive you to their website, or fill out an application right there. They did not want your resume.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"significant number of people there with no copies of a resume" this was no big deal for this job fair as NO ONE was taking resumes, even though they told you to bring them. They all wanted to drive you to their website, or fill out an application right there. They did not want your resume.
Oh dear, I'd mercifully forgotten the "Please retype your carefully crafted resume into our web-based applicant database. It's been developed with input from that guy in HR who can't be trusted with anything important, it has pull-down menus that lock you into choices that are almost-but-not-quite lies, it has no concept of a non-US address or phone number, it will not let you go back and edit, and you'd probably be better off just typing 10 random buzzwords for our HR department to search on." I - ehm - don't much like those.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Bring a resume anyway. If a hiring manager is truly interested in you, s/he will take it.

Getting your resume into the hands of the hiring manager is important. If you are impressive enough, this can be a tool for the manager to get your application from the HR website, even if it was screened out by an hr admin. The manager will ask "what about XX's application?".

The second important part of a resume is simply showing that you know how to go about the job application process. Anybody can fill out an application, and for most jobs will need to do so as a condition of employment. But a resume shows that you know the process and are willing to go through the appropriate steps. In other words, you are simply better prepared and more serious than a person who does not have a resume.

In the job fair situation, if they are not accepting resumes on site, get the manager's card and send one in the mail, or as an email attachment. Followup is also an important quality to demonstrate.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
You always get people like this, as failures to think about the future. Even 3 would have been not so smart.

What did she expect? Incredible face revealed of the man who tattooed girl with 56 stars when she only asked for three | Mail Online

There are so many things countering her story I can't even imagine it.
A) Witness confirms the artists version
B) She got up, look at it, confirmed it and paid for it at the end.
C) I can't think of anyone falling asleep for it, it hurts like heck...especially if you have never done it before. I can't think of a reason to fall asleep either if the artist has trouble understanding you.
D) Why would anyone go to some one for a service like this that doesn't speak the same language anyways, not like 3 can be easily confused with 56. You take a piece of paper and write the number 3, then put a star symbol down, then point where on your face...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment