Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times

Advertisements

Any of you have any information on current hiring practices and/or how long it takes for the hiring proces complete?

I applied, took the written test, took the phisical test, took the drug test, went to a group interview, waited and then nothing. I never got called, got mail, or email regarding my application status. I was lost. I tired calling and checking on the employment status website, but there was no information. Today, 18 months later, I receive an e-mail saying that they need a paper that I sent a long time ago.

Is this normal for them to take so long in the hiring process? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
It takes forever to be hired on with some of these agencies. If you had to fill out the SF-86 then it takes around 12-24 months to finish the investigation. Nothing unusual. Do exactly as they instruct you, try not to lose your mind in the interim, then you will probably get the job. What you are experiencing is totally normal.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
The fact that they requested something from you is encouraging.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:46 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
It takes forever to be hired on with some of these agencies. If you had to fill out the SF-86 then it takes around 12-24 months to finish the investigation. Nothing unusual. Do exactly as they instruct you, try not to lose your mind in the interim, then you will probably get the job. What you are experiencing is totally normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
The fact that they requested something from you is encouraging.
I see this as unusaul compared to normal jobs where you get interviewd and a couple of days after (weeks after at the most) you know if you got the job or not. What gets me about this taking so long is that I cannot commit my self to something else if I am waiting for this job to go through and I really want this job.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I see this as unusaul compared to normal jobs where you get interviewd and a couple of days after (weeks after at the most) you know if you got the job or not. What gets me about this taking so long is that I cannot commit my self to something else if I am waiting for this job to go through and I really want this job.
Welcome to my life over the past year or so. The government does not care what is going on in your life or how bad you need a job now. Its a totally stupid process and is completely unfair, but it will always be like this because its a bureaucracy.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Welcome to my life over the past year or so. The government does not care what is going on in your life or how bad you need a job now. Its a totally stupid process and is completely unfair, but it will always be like this because its a bureaucracy.
This is true. I turned down a Govt gig because the hiring process for this particular program was insane. There was an absolute start date and here it is less than 2 weeks from that date and they still have not given people (it was a multiple hire) a firm notice. Plus they've told people not to put down security deposits on apartments etc until they get a firm offer in the mail. This particular program did not allow for the customary 2 week notice to your current employer or enough time to move cross country for their drop dead start date. People DO have lives and responsibilites outside the Govt but they don't care about that. Often the hiring officials drop the ball and then expect you to run around and fix things.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
how to apply for it?? can anyone help me

Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
I have been in your situation before though it was for the position of Food inspector. In general I find the govt. hiring process to be painfully, PAINFULLY slow. You can return the required letter, told to wait 4 months just for a "no". -Tis one of the reasons that for the moment I have given up on getting a govt job.

My neighbor has applied for a job with the border patrol, they did the background check and he is still here in NJ so ya it is slow...

Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri89 View Post
how to apply for it?? can anyone help me
According to the official website, they're not currently accepting applications but you can still read about the procedure and qualifications:

CBP - Career Descriptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment