Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Battered by the worst recession in decades, vast numbers of Americans see lean times ahead for the long term – and plan to recalibrate their lives accordingly.

ABC News Poll: Job Security and Consumer Spending, Credit Card Debt - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
There was job security before? I would say since joining the professional world in 2003 you pretty much have to stay on the right side or you are gone. I had a job in 2005 when I started my MBA (was working the Colorado Springs, moved to Denver) that the big boss would walk outside his office and fire some one to keep everyone scared enough to work hard.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There was job security before? ...
LOL...same question I wanted to ask! There has never been job security, not even for doctors or medical personnel..The recession is cyclical and comes around every so many years. This will hopefully end soon BUT let's always keep in mind that another one like it (or worse) will be here again at some point in the future, so let's not get comfy! Let's try to always be ready by minimizing our debts and maximizing our savings

Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
I'd been thinking how much I'd love to buy a house in the next few years but with the way things have been going (both myself and my fiance lost our jobs only 4 months from each other) I dont know when I'll feel like I have a secure enough job? If ever.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I heard at my unemployment groups that the average term for an american worker at a job now is like 2-1/2 to 3 years. That's all. (don't know where that study was from though sorry) The way of the future is that the corps will all hire us as temps. they do not want any overhead at all. And they won't have to pay insurance and other benefits either.
That is why it is very important to have skills that are easily transferable to any industry, because the "hot industry" today, will be dead in 5-10 years. And you will have to continually jump ship. And you must continually make sure your skills are top notch and up to date, even though your company does not keep up to date with the latest. You need to.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
I'll play devil's advocate. It used to be that jobs were quite secure. Then came the late 80's, early 90's when job growth was so high that workers began jumping from job to job every 1-2 years for increased pay and incentives. As a result, wages increased disproportionately and the bottom line slowly began to erode. Bring on the dot.com era when the mantra was every "man" for him/herself. Not "show me the money," but "throw me the money." This occurred at all levels of a company. Workers showed no loyalty and, as a result of increased bottom line pressures, companies dropped their loyalties to all except shareholders. Unions became shortsighted and only focused on this year's contract with no vision toward the future while company senior execs couldn't care less if they ran the company into the ground so long as shareholders couldn't see what was going on in their company and their golden parachutes were enriched annually.

At some point in the past 20-years, loyalty on the part of the employers, unions and workers became the mantra for "it's somebody's fault, but it's certainly not my fault."

Did I type that out loud?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
My last five employers:

Current, I feel very secure. Company is profitable, has been around for 25+ years, has had modest but steady growth. Owner is not going anywhere, and not interested in selling unless it's an absurdly good offer. (His words, and he means lots more than it's worth.)

Last, company was owned by a venture capitalist. He got in, made money, sold at a profit. I was there 3.5 years. New owners made me an offer to stay on, but it required relocation so I declined.

Company prior, Fortune 200, been around for over 100 years, profitable even in these times. I was there five years and one month--long enough to make sure I got all my pension/profit sharing, etc. They aren't for sale, not in a position for anyone to take them over, and the average employee has been there over 20 years. I could ahve stayed until I retired.

Before that, I worked there for about two years, owned by a sole proprietor. I saw the writing on the wall and got out two months before the company was sold. I most likely would have kept my job--for awhile. Two years after the sale the entire company was unrecognizable (they basically jsut wanted the name) and had moved 200 miles away.

Before that, worked there for about a year but couldn't deal with the pissing match between my boss and the guy that wanted to be my boss, so I quit. They are still in business, and I most likely could ahve stayed on until I retired had I wanted to. (I wasn't directly affected by the power struggle, but didn't like that senior management was allowing it to go on. I had to take a leave for surgery, and during my recovery I took time to explore other options.)

So, about half of them were secure jobs that I could have stayed at long term, the other half weren't. Bottom line, there are good, long term, secure jobs out there. You jsut have to know where to find them.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its this way evrytime there is a glut of people not working and compnaies can go from profit to bankrup[sy . No surprise.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I'll play devil's advocate. It used to be that jobs were quite secure. Then came the late 80's, early 90's when job growth was so high that workers began jumping from job to job every 1-2 years for increased pay and incentives.
Oh yeah, you are completely right...however it mixes in too. I know in my own life if I had stayed at my last company I might have been able to reach a 3% raise per year. Plus if I was promoted I would be limited in the compensation I could get in taking a new position (I think the max raise was like 15% in promotion, no matter the difference between the salaries). While when I job jumped I got an instant 50% raise (the reason it's so high is because I had just received my MBA)...so being loyal I would have been completely screwed.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I heard at my unemployment groups that the average term for an american worker at a job now is like 2-1/2 to 3 years. That's all. (don't know where that study was from though sorry) The way of the future is that the corps will all hire us as temps. they do not want any overhead at all. And they won't have to pay insurance and other benefits either.
That is why it is very important to have skills that are easily transferable to any industry, because the "hot industry" today, will be dead in 5-10 years. And you will have to continually jump ship. And you must continually make sure your skills are top notch and up to date, even though your company does not keep up to date with the latest. You need to.

right now it seems that transferable skills are a given. but you best have skills in their specific industry or they wont even look at you...

Want a post-recession job? Go back to school

"Job security is something from our past. The best we can hope for now is employment security."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment