U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 33,212 times
Post Would you work for aflac?

Hi, right now im studying for my licenses so that i can be able to work for aflac.....those licenses are required, but reading peoples' post about aflac, im starting to worry about!! saying they need a laptop, i was hired and kind search about aflac does. does anyone knows what really does aflac do? do you have to go out and sell or what? do u really need a laptop, is the money worh it or not? just need some advice over here....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 AM

22,121 posts, read 28,863,300 times
Aflac is an insurance comapny selling ABL.

Yes you have to go out and sell. You need to call on businesses, make appointments to present your sales pitch to HR or the benefits manager, and then sometimes pitch again to the employees. it's a lot of cold calling, and a lot of closed doors. But if you have a good personality and a knack for sales, you can be very successful at it.

I know a guy who was a Fed Ex driver, got his license and went to work for Aflac, went around and called on all of the places he used to deliver to, and got a TON of business because we already knew him and liked him.

I have a friend who works for Aflac, she is very involved in several charities, many of which have some major players in the local business world on their boards. SHe used those contacts to get into various businesses, and even if it wasn't that contacts business, people REALLY like her and set her up with their friends businesses. One nice thing about Aflac is that they will work with any business, large or small, or even individuals.

But if you are shy, if you don't have self-confidence and a great personality, and if you don't already ahve a lot of contacts, Aflac is nto going to be a good fit for you, and you won't make any money.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM

173 posts, read 648,656 times
I would work for AFLAC if they are your only choice.
They sell assurance and not insurance.

They are commission only! No other support is provided, so you provide all that a sales office would.
You do get a "regional sales manager" who helps you with "information".

I interviewed with them, it was a group interview and the regional sales manager didn't even shave, plus he wasn't fat, just his suit was tight.
We had to shell out $400 if we wanted to get our licenses.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 17,679 times
I accepted a job with Aflac in Plam Beach County, Florida. I have not started yet. I will start in August. However; I just took my test last week and passed it. So, i am anxious to start making that money back. My reional manager is ver y nice and seems like she will be very helpful.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 13,804 times
I have an interview with Aflac this week and I'm not sure u if I should waste my time. i am currently unemployed and need income asap!! However if there is a fee involved my chances are defintely out the doo, can't afford any fees right now!! Does anybody know about $$fees?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM

12,396 posts, read 13,405,028 times
No, I would be bad at this as I don't have the contacts. I wouldn't know the first person to try to sell this to outside of looking businesses up online. I did one day of door to door sales before, probably the worst thing I am at doing is selling things.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 8,551,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oad2381 View Post
Hi, right now im studying for my licenses so that i can be able to work for aflac.....those licenses are required, but reading peoples' post about aflac, im starting to worry about!! saying they need a laptop, i was hired and kind search about aflac does. does anyone knows what really does aflac do? do you have to go out and sell or what? do u really need a laptop, is the money worh it or not? just need some advice over here....
RUN from them as fast as you can!!!! I worked for a local Long Beach, calif office back in 2002. They made it sound like "the sky's the limit" "very minute market penetration", etc, but it is very tedious work. The abundance of "managers" were scavengers that took away from the fruits of my labor. As an example, I "canvassed" businesses by walking door to door and got the client companies signed from this sort of cold call. After presenting the benefits to the manager and then again one-on-one with each of the employees, the AFLAC "scavenger manager" took a bulk of my customers (commission) because I was not licensed for Illinois (the State where some of the more well compensated employees paid taxes to) without giving me anything in return since he did have an Illinois license.

They also teach you to "canvass" businesses that have been canvassed multiple times. You might very well be the 10th one in that month to approach the business prospect.

God help you if there is a "broker" attached to the account!! I was able to get one sizable account because of a friend who worked for a State agency who was a friend/colleague of the decision maker. unfortunately, the decision maker was on the way out of the agency and could not defend me, but OK'd the AFLAC contract with me before he exited the State agency. Unannounced to me through all of this was that the Agency had an insurance broker agency who handled the employees' health insurance, dental insurance,etc that came out of the woodwork. I then had to present to this scavenger who wanted his cut of 30% of the commission for doing nothing!! In fact, he was perplexed that I would even not go through him in the first place. I told him that I just found about him, that nobody had ever mentioned him. He OK'd it, but then made it a point to get his own little blonde bimbette to conduct the presentations in the succeeding years, again cutting me out!

As people leave Aflac, they salvage whatever groups that the departed reps were working on and give them to their "office favorite" to follow up on.

An even worse story was experienced by one of my co-workers. His family friend was the HR Director for a large multi-state corp and signed the AFLAC contract to bring AFLAC to the large division that he oversaw in Colorado.
The co-worker commuted to CO multiple times, stayed in hotels, etc and got huge AFLAC commission checks. What they didn't know was that the family friend HR Director did not clear it with the National Hdqtrs! When the Nat'l Hdqtrs got wind of it, they not only cancelled the AFLAC contract (resulting with the co-worker having to pay ALL of the commission back), but the family friend losing his high powered job with the Corp.

All of the people in charge were scavengers and homophobic (saying things that could never be said in a company environment without repercussions).

One good thing that I can say is that it gave me access to the Aflac credit union. They have paid me much higher rates through the years on my $$ than the banks do.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,352,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisee77 View Post
I have an interview with Aflac this week and I'm not sure u if I should waste my time. i am currently unemployed and need income asap!! However if there is a fee involved my chances are defintely out the doo, can't afford any fees right now!! Does anybody know about $$fees?
You will have to pay ahead of time for your licensing exam. It'll vary depending on your state. If you don't pass you'll have to pay to retake the exam.

IMO, if you really need money, you're better off sticking with hourly paid jobs than a commission only sales job like Aflac (unless you have connections or a knack for sales of course).

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 12,950 times
If you are thinking of working for Aflac do they check your credit

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
Many people I know have received unsolicited offers from them as soon as they posted a resume on any known website. Somehow makes me wonder if they are making something off people who work there and then fail. Do they charge for the training? Beware of any company that makes you pay anything for working there, even if they have fancy TV commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment