Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
This is the problem with San Antonio. It's fragmented. There are people who "drive around the southside (westside, eastside, northside, etc)" and then there are people who live in specific areas. You may see those flags and stickers on one block, but to be honest the people that live in the southside, like perticusrex (or those that have taken the time to understand the area) know that these flags and stickers may all part of a groups of homes that are owned by one family (who built them around the 1920s-1930s ...so in reality, it's kind of like a family compound). Drive down a bit and you'll find houses you'll see a young professional family who has moved back to the southside from the northside to be closer to their ailing parents, or students who live there because it's closer to the action, etc. Mexican Flags, "Viva la revolucion, and mexican stickers are not the norm. I'm sorry.

dont be sorry, be glad! hes making himself sound like a stereotype. Its humoring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
this is one the statements i hear a lot and find offensive, it sounds like you would rather Texas still be in Mexico. all these things boil down to one thing. are you an American or not, do you love this country or not, if push comes to shove can the usa count on you to defend her?

no one has a problem with people celebrating their heritage, we just have questions whether or not you are loyal to this country or your old one. that’s it. Think about the Arab people after 911. if I were an Arab that wore the traditional dress, I would have a turban made in red white and blue, and I would have put an “I love America” sticker on my car. I would have at every opportunity condemn the attack and the nut jobs radical Islamism. There isn’t anyone in the usa who would have looked at you funny, and they probably would have thanked you and shook your hand. I never saw this happen did you? Makes you wonder..

I drive around the south side all I see is Mexican flags, the made in Mexico stickers everyplace, I hear people talking if the usa and Mexico would go to war who would you fight for. It makes me wonder. And I am given crap and called a raciest for it?

the whole "the border crossed us" thing is really ridiculous. how far back do you want to go? you speak Spanish because Spain sent people over her to explore. so why don’t you speak one of the native languages? i mean the boarder crossed those people too huh?
Yes, I did. was living in NYC at the time...and a lot of the Middle Eastern folks did just that...well, wore "Pro America" buttons/pins/hats to avoid any haters. it did happen.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,944 times
Quote:
this is one the statements i hear a lot and find offensive, it sounds like you would rather Texas still be in Mexico. all these things boil down to one thing. are you an American or not, do you love this country or not, if push comes to shove can the usa count on you to defend her?
You can be offended all you want. Nowhere in my post did I say that I would rather have Texas be a part of Mexico. I just noted that AT ONE TIME, it WAS a part of Mexico, so there is a deep history of Spanish speaking in Texas that's hard to get away from. I am American born and raised! I have family members who served/serve in the military defending this country. It's not about where my loyalty lies. I was just stating a fact.

Quote:
I drive around the south side all I see is Mexican flags, the made in Mexico stickers everyplace, I hear people talking if the usa and Mexico would go to war who would you fight for. It makes me wonder. And I am given crap and called a raciest for it?
Really?! ALL over the southside?! Hmmm...last time I looked (which was just this morning), I didn't see one single Mexican flag. Please specify which neighborhood you were in or where it was you were driving.

Quote:
the whole "the border crossed us" thing is really ridiculous. how far back do you want to go? you speak Spanish because Spain sent people over her to explore. so why don’t you speak one of the native languages? i mean the boarder crossed those people too huh?
Why is it ridiculous? Was Texas not part of Mexico at one time? Did the U.S. not take over the land? Did the citizens who resided here at the time have the border changed on them?

BTW...yes, I do speak some Nahuatl...not fluently, but more than most.

One thing I did learn in both Spanish and English, though, is how to spell properly. I see you haven't yet mastered that.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Yes, I did. was living in NYC at the time...and a lot of the Middle Eastern folks did just that...well, wore "Pro America" buttons/pins/hats to avoid any haters. it did happen.

Although their cause was noble, but we as America, didn't we hate on the Japanese after Pearl Harbor? they were even sent to camps, which totally sucked for them.

But other than that FCF you're arguing with a mule with two rear ends, there's no positive input on this.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM

266 posts, read 706,452 times
first off, i work on the south side, 5 days a week i drive down there. I have owned and rented several homes on the Southside. I DO know what im talking about. I see this crap all the time.

svg210, i don’t know how people such as yourself seem to always miss the point. its like your read my words, not hear anything i said, then make some sort of statement like you just did. Its Amazing to me. Thick headed? stereotype? cant spell? Why the name calling? Are we not having a respectful debate here?

Lets see if i can make it clearer. Do Americans have the right to burn the flag, speak any language they want, wear most anything they want to, say just about what ever they want to? Yep, and I don’t want that changed.

However, there are some things that your shouldn’t do out of love and respect for your country. Things they I see people doing all the time. Imaging a husband belittling a wife in front of her friends, family and coworkers. Does he as an American have the right to do it? Yep, is it illegal for him to do it? Nope. Now SHOULD he do it? Never, that is IF he loves and respects his wife. You just don’t do that to a person you love. Nor should you do things like burn the flag, fly another’s countries flag, refuse to learn the language of the country, IF you love your country.

my point,,love and respect the usa.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:04 PM

266 posts, read 706,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
now thats freaking awsome. i wish our news would have reported it.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed scolforo View Post
I'd like to clarify a few points. My father didn't like his FIRST name. He was proud to be Italian, as am I, and would never consider changing our last name. I understand that my co-workers are as American as I am. Re. English as the "official " language of the U.S. I may be wrong. But I've travelled all over this country and I can guarrantee you that 99% of the spoken language is English. Close enough for me to be considered the official language. BTW, txgolfer, I find your comments to be condescending and uncalled for. You should practice your manners. I'll finish by giving you an example of what I'm talking about. I was in a patients room with my mentor performing a task. Both speak perfect English. I had to stand there for 10 minutes listening to them talking, laughing, telling stories, whatever, and didn't understand a word of it. I tried to guess when to smile at the appropriate times. I felt embarrased and frustrated. Even the docs will converse in Spanish with my mentors talking about patient issues. It does nothing for me to help learn what is going on. I can't just walk away and ignore them. I guess for now on I'll just ask them to keep repeating everything in English so that I too can be part of the conversation.
Hell, I've traveled over most of Europe, and guess what?! They speak English as well! They also speak a multiple of other languages, so that they can communicate with other people from surrounding countries and backgrounds. People speaking English has nothing to do with which country your working in, touring or visiting. Complaining because you don't like it and want to whine rather than educating yourself is the point.

Maybe the people you work with really do understand that you don't speak another language, and they find you annoying and really don't like you. Maybe that's why they start speaking another language so you'll leave? Possible? Or maybe, because most of the health-care people who work where you are, have done enough self-improvement to speak even a little Spanish so that they will immerse themselves as well as make themselves more integral to the operation, and then get the additional benefits of being able to understand your co-workers.

If I came off condescending and rude...it's because I was meaning to be so.

Maybe a long self examination of yourself in the mirror might just be what the doctor ordered.

****Also, I'd like to commend you for posting under TWO DIFFERENT user names. Nice to know you belong to both names. *****

Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Yea, this is AMERICA, and ENGLISH is OUR language. I'm offended if you can't take the time to learn our language, and also frown upon any job requiring you to be bilingual. Learn to speak and write our language or go back to where all of YOUR heritage is.

That's funny, my family was here before there was even an America. They were here (half) before there was a Spain. Funny, I don't see you complaining about speaking Mayan or Aztec or even French.

So, which side of the face do you speak your English?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Our founding documents, every piece of legislation, every law is written in English. The founding fathers had this debate, ol Ben wanted German, but English prevailed. We speak English in this country, sorry.

And as far as the native American argument, if they had defeated the wave of settlers from Europe we would be speaking their language. Right or wrong or what ever you spin on history is, the usa is here now, it’s the current culture we are talking about.

A few posts back someone wrote, your racism is showing. I was waiting for this comment, it always is used any time we have a debate on language or immigration. This is a sad thing to me, because usually the people who cry racism are the true racists. My views on both those subjects have NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE, I really wish you could get that in your head.
This is a complete Tradition fallacy. The reason the founding fathers wrote most of the doucuments in English is....wait for it....THEY WERE ENGLISH!!! Well, most of them, but not all by heritage. They were also writing documents to the King of England, and to other countries that used English as the governing language. However, both Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton, Adams (who wrote in English and had it translated into French documents, but spoke a rudimentary French), wrote documents and briefs in different languages. German, French, Italian, Portugese, and SPANISH, were the different languages the founding fathers wrote documents in.

And uh, sorry but we speak multiple languages in the country. If you want to speak only one, good for you. But don't complain when you blow you by, and you can't get a job supervising people who speak other languages either in this country or another.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Although their cause was noble, but we as America, didn't we hate on the Japanese after Pearl Harbor? they were even sent to camps, which totally sucked for them.

But other than that FCF you're arguing with a mule with two rear ends, there's no positive input on this.
Yeah, I know....just wanted to inform that other poster that these things did indeed happen and that these folks were sh*t scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment