U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:18 PM

75 posts, read 316,142 times
Default Bad job Reference

I had a fantastic job offer this past Monday after being laid off for close to two months. I was very excited as it was God sent in this reccession and it was also a pay raise. I am a stutterer so interviews are not my greatest strength but I summoned the courage to ace these particular interviews and got two offers from the same company after six different interviews and a written test. Only thing left was four references. My greatest concern was the job I was laid off at (which was a lousy company with low pay) but even that boss gave me a good reference. But my previous job before that (am an accountant with no designation), this woman that I thought was a friend and who I sweated for two years for coming to work on weekends to get things done and being overworked like a dog. I knew she was not too trilled I was leaving but she knew I was moving out of state for family reasons. Anyway this woman who I had the greatest confidence in of all my references (I didn't even bother calling her cause that was how confident I was) actually told my new employer that I had attendance issues, was not committed and that she wouln't hire me again. The company called me this morning to inform me they had withdrawn their job offer. I cried for the first time in my life because I needed this job on so many level. I later called this former boss numerous times and she wouldn't pick up the phone so I went to a pay phone and then she did. Then she put on this friendly act and when she realized I wasn't in the mood she just went ahead and said someone called for reference and I told them "the truth." I called in sick twice in two years and even both times offered to work from home and she destroyed my opportunity for this. How can people be like this? Someone that I did everything in my power to please. Even when she would throw fit and say unprofessional things (she is an older lady - 65), I will accept her apology just saying that I understand. When I left they actually hired two people to replace me, that was how efficient and overworked I was. Do I have any recourse? I am summing up the courage to start the job search process again but these two oppurtunities with he same company was so much my focus and effort because they were enthusiastic about me that my past frustrations seems all gone. I actually contemplated suicide for the first time in my life today. Unemployment can't even pay my rent and I have to eat, make car payment, insurance and the list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM

12,117 posts, read 16,436,979 times
I am going to be blunt so hang on:

You made a mistake. You did not talk to your references first and ask their permission to put them down as references. You did not get buy in. If you had, and you knew that there was a problem in obtaining a good reference, you would have been able to set the stage and/or mitigate any potential bad reference remarks.

Now, count your lucky stars you are not going to go work for that company. They don't believe in their people. If they are so willing to rescind an offer based on one out of four references being bad then you don't want to work for them. In this day and age people are losing jobs right and left and references are hit and miss.

Have the HR department of that bad reference place give you a letter certifying your position and dates of employment from there. If you can, get your performance reviews from there and then use those in lieu of a verbal reference check.

Honestly, I fault you for not making sure that you would have great references. That bothers me more than the actual bad reference. You did not do your homework.

Learn from this. Pick up and get back to job searching. I wish you the best of luck.

Unread 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,549,080 times
Don't mean to beat this to death but you always check with your references.

On the other hand, I have to think there is more to this than what you've described. Called in sick twice in 2 years, that doesn't seem out of line. If this is documented and that's the only reason they withdrew the offers, I'd love to be your attorney.

I also think it's unusual for an employer to contact a reference after making two job offers. Something doesn't seem right here and I'm a bit confused over your post of May 12 that indicated you had someone working for you as an invoice analyst. There's a strong implication there that you were employed on that date although you say you've been unemployed for the past 2 months. I'm sure I'm just confused, as usual.

Unread 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
FBJ

31,389 posts, read 19,055,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan5576 View Post
I had a fantastic job offer this past Monday after being laid off for close to two months. I was very excited as it was God sent in this reccession and it was also a pay raise. I am a stutterer so interviews are not my greatest strength but I summoned the courage to ace these particular interviews and got two offers from the same company after six different interviews and a written test. Only thing left was four references. My greatest concern was the job I was laid off at (which was a lousy company with low pay) but even that boss gave me a good reference. But my previous job before that (am an accountant with no designation), this woman that I thought was a friend and who I sweated for two years for coming to work on weekends to get things done and being overworked like a dog. I knew she was not too trilled I was leaving but she knew I was moving out of state for family reasons. Anyway this woman who I had the greatest confidence in of all my references (I didn't even bother calling her cause that was how confident I was) actually told my new employer that I had attendance issues, was not committed and that she wouln't hire me again. The company called me this morning to inform me they had withdrawn their job offer. I cried for the first time in my life because I needed this job on so many level. I later called this former boss numerous times and she wouldn't pick up the phone so I went to a pay phone and then she did. Then she put on this friendly act and when she realized I wasn't in the mood she just went ahead and said someone called for reference and I told them "the truth." I called in sick twice in two years and even both times offered to work from home and she destroyed my opportunity for this. How can people be like this? Someone that I did everything in my power to please. Even when she would throw fit and say unprofessional things (she is an older lady - 65), I will accept her apology just saying that I understand. When I left they actually hired two people to replace me, that was how efficient and overworked I was. Do I have any recourse? I am summing up the courage to start the job search process again but these two oppurtunities with he same company was so much my focus and effort because they were enthusiastic about me that my past frustrations seems all gone. I actually contemplated suicide for the first time in my life today. Unemployment can't even pay my rent and I have to eat, make car payment, insurance and the list goes on.

Get rid of the car, Unemployment is not enough for a car and rent. I'm sorry to hear this sad news and kind of confused why they would make their decision to withdrawl their offer based on what one person said out of four people. Didmn't the other three people say nice things? I don't understand this at all. I was worried mysel about my previous supervisor doing that same thing to me but out of the 4 references I submitted they never called him only the other 3 references.

Unread 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I am going to be blunt so hang on:

You made a mistake. You did not talk to your references first and ask their permission to put them down as references. You did not get buy in. If you had, and you knew that there was a problem in obtaining a good reference, you would have been able to set the stage and/or mitigate any potential bad reference remarks.

Now, count your lucky stars you are not going to go work for that company. They don't believe in their people. If they are so willing to rescind an offer based on one out of four references being bad then you don't want to work for them. In this day and age people are losing jobs right and left and references are hit and miss.

Have the HR department of that bad reference place give you a letter certifying your position and dates of employment from there. If you can, get your performance reviews from there and then use those in lieu of a verbal reference check.

Honestly, I fault you for not making sure that you would have great references. That bothers me more than the actual bad reference. You did not do your homework.

Learn from this. Pick up and get back to job searching. I wish you the best of luck.

I agree, I made sure I asked every one of my references their permission before using them. I asked over email because it was a lot easier for me.

Unread 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

9,342 posts, read 15,059,011 times
Why would the OP ask her former employers about giving a reference? I can see giving your personal references a heads up or asking permission, but verifying employment is the norm. The only way for the former employer not to be contacted is to leave them off of the resume.

The next interview that you have, you might mention that one of your former employers was upset about you leaving and that you have heard that they are giving misinformation. (What do you pros in the biz think of this idea? )

I also have heard that what she said could be a legal issue- that they can give dates of employment only. But being in the right and winning a lawsuit are two different things. Maybe legal aid could write a letter to the former emplyer, putting her on notice about future requests for emplyment verification.

Just hang in there. You'll make it, even though I know that sometimes it is hard to know just HOW. Many have been in your shoes and are now wearing nice new shoes after getting a great job!

Unread 06-20-2009, 09:42 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Why would the OP ask her former employers about giving a reference? I can see giving your personal references a heads up or asking permission, but verifying employment is the norm. The only way for the former employer not to be contacted is to leave them off of the resume.

The next interview that you have, you might mention that one of your former employers was upset about you leaving and that you have heard that they are giving misinformation. (What do you pros in the biz think of this idea? )

I also have heard that what she said could be a legal issue- that they can give dates of employment only. But being in the right and winning a lawsuit are two different things. Maybe legal aid could write a letter to the former emplyer, putting her on notice about future requests for emplyment verification.

Just hang in there. You'll make it, even though I know that sometimes it is hard to know just HOW. Many have been in your shoes and are now wearing nice new shoes after getting a great job!

It's still good to have one person in management from each of your previous jobs to have as one of your references. Maybe the OP could have had another person as his reference from that job where the lady bad mouthed him.

Unread 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM

332 posts, read 813,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's still good to have one person in management from each of your previous jobs to have as one of your references. Maybe the OP could have had another person as his reference from that job where the lady bad mouthed him.
Lots of companies have it written into policy that no current employee can provide references. Only the HR department...

It's worth noting so that people don't go expecting some wondrous reviews and end up with the company doing nothing other than confirming dates and possibly salary if you sign a disclosure agreement...

Unread 06-21-2009, 05:42 AM

21,281 posts, read 27,040,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Get rid of the car, Unemployment is not enough for a car and rent. I'm sorry to hear this sad news and kind of confused why they would make their decision to withdrawl their offer based on what one person said out of four people. Didmn't the other three people say nice things? I don't understand this at all. I was worried mysel about my previous supervisor doing that same thing to me but out of the 4 references I submitted they never called him only the other 3 references.
Get rid of the car? Hmmm, then how will he get to work and job interviews? Not all of us live in the middle of a large city with mass transit like you do. More brilliance from TVSG.

Unread 06-21-2009, 09:41 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Get rid of the car? Hmmm, then how will he get to work and job interviews? Not all of us live in the middle of a large city with mass transit like you do. More brilliance from TVSG.

Well if the person has to make a choice between having a car or sleeping on the street then what would be the best decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment