Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think has the best opps for advancement?
Hotels 10 26.32%
Hospital 20 52.63%
Equal 3 7.89%
Dunno 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:23 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but hotels dont have as many high paying positions as a hospital does, do they?

maybe the manager and a few others (like dept managers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM

18 posts, read 51,051 times
I'd definitely say hospital, especially if you don't have a degree. I absolutely hate working for my current hotel, and would have left, but the only jobs available in Vegas are in the service industry. Tips being stolen, no set schedule, always working weekends and holidays-all while watching other people enjoy a relaxing vacation. Worst job ever!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I've sent resumes here locally to hotels but no one responds. I seriously am interested in being a front desk clerk at a hotel. I am willing to start as a housekeeper. If a hotel in Vegas will definitely hire me from PA, I will pack my bags tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I've been working as an auditor for a hotel for over a year now. Never a field I thought I'd go into. Dealing with guests can be exhaustive and draining and very demanding work. Working at a hotel also means I don't get weekends or holidays off-ever. I guess that working in a hospital is much the same way. I'm thankful to have full-time employment in MI, even though the bastards don't give me holiday pay.

I've heard that Marriot is a great company to work for and I've been trying to get in with them-but to be honest, the hotel industry is not one I want to stay in. I have no desire to work in a hospital, either. Not my cup of tea.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 AM

179 posts, read 548,012 times
I am in hospitality as well, currently working for Hilton but I worked for Marriott before. Can't say I'm particularly loyal to either company; I think it's more important to have a better management company that cares about their properties and employees. If the question is which you can move up better in, I think hotels are a pretty decent option. It helps to have a degree, but it is possible to move up without one, but you'll likely have to start near the bottom i.e. front desk.

No, hospitality is not recession proof, I am currently doing sales/admin/and front desk because of budget cuts. (Of course it doesn't help that most of our clientele is automotive suppliers, just like everyone else in Detroit). I've never worked in a hospital, so I can't really make that comparison.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:21 PM

how much, if any, do hotel managers of national chains (like Marriott Hilton, etc) have over pricing/promotion/advertising, etc?

do they have any authority, or is it all handled by corporate?

Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
how much, if any, do hotel managers of national chains (like Marriott Hilton, etc) have over pricing/promotion/advertising, etc?

do they have any authority, or is it all handled by corporate?
Most hotels are not corporate owned, but rather franchises. The general manager usually has a decent amoutn of flexibility, but not always. It also depends on the season, type of property, occupancy levels, etc.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most hotels are not corporate owned, but rather franchises. The general manager usually has a decent amoutn of flexibility, but not always. It also depends on the season, type of property, occupancy levels, etc.
I didnt think that was true of the big chains.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I didnt think that was true of the big chains.
It absolutely is. Hilton, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, and many others are a mix of corporate owned and franchised. Marriott might be one of the few that has no franchises, but I'm not positive about that.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM

Lodging Managers Hotel Mgmnt

Medical and Health Services Managers Hopsital Mgmnt

Hotels just dont seem to pay as well as I thought they would...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment