Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am re-writing my resume this morning to clean it up some, and include some more recent accomplishments.

I am also trying to keep it down to one page.

My question is, how far back should I list prior work experience?

I have worked 8 years now at my current employer, 4.5 in my entry position, the last 3.5 in a position I was promoted into. I am concentrating the bulk of my work experience in my resume on these positions, since these are the most recent, and most technically complex in duties, knowledge, and skill, as well as writing and speaking skills.

However, I think I have some older experience. I worked 6 years at my prior employer, which was my first ever employer. (Yeah, only worked 2 places in my life!). This position started out as just a part time retail job I had in high school, and by the time I left, I had received 3 promotions, had served as the head of the shipping department, later as the office's accounting coordinator (mostly an accounts payable/receivable clerk), and finally was in the organization's mgmt training program. I do not want to spend much space here, but I do think my success in a couple of these roles, coordinating the shipping and receiving, performing the accounting functions, does show some different skills in mathematical computations, and leadership that my adjudication experience hasn't really gotten into. (My adjudication experience has focused a lot more on research, analytical, writing, communicating, and teaching skills, and maybe some leadership).

Anyway, is it worth annotating this older experience? Will a new employer be interested in experience that is almost a decade old? Or would they generally just dismiss it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
In your case I would list both employers.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
You can fit both employers on to one page. Do it, and list both.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
If the older job relates to what you are applying for then I would list it. Even if it does not, I might lean towards listing it anyway since many jobs require a 10 year backround check. In either case I would design a resume that showcases your abilities and accomplisments rather than your employment history.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:17 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Anyway, is it worth annotating this older experience? Will a new employer be interested in experience that is almost a decade old? Or would they generally just dismiss it?

Thanks!
Yes, as Alaska Mutt indicated many employers want at least a 10 employment history. In your case it will show the employer that you have not job hopped and have a good stable work history. 6 years at that previous job is a long time at one employer at your age. It can only be looked at as very favorable. Even if you save space by not listing your duties, just showing you were there for 6 years is very positive and should be included in your resume.

Even you are proud, as you should be, that you've only had 2 employers. You next employer will be impressed with that as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Thanks for the advice! I did incorporate the history into my resume, without going into much detail of my abilities and accomplishments, except for a couple of items which I felt are important in my job search. I spent a lot more space on my present employer, and the abilities and accomplishments I have had in relation to my positions there.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Ok, I am re-writing my resume this morning to clean it up some, and include some more recent accomplishments.

I am also trying to keep it down to one page.

My question is, how far back should I list prior work experience?

I have worked 8 years now at my current employer, 4.5 in my entry position, the last 3.5 in a position I was promoted into. I am concentrating the bulk of my work experience in my resume on these positions, since these are the most recent, and most technically complex in duties, knowledge, and skill, as well as writing and speaking skills.

However, I think I have some older experience. I worked 6 years at my prior employer, which was my first ever employer. (Yeah, only worked 2 places in my life!). This position started out as just a part time retail job I had in high school, and by the time I left, I had received 3 promotions, had served as the head of the shipping department, later as the office's accounting coordinator (mostly an accounts payable/receivable clerk), and finally was in the organization's mgmt training program. I do not want to spend much space here, but I do think my success in a couple of these roles, coordinating the shipping and receiving, performing the accounting functions, does show some different skills in mathematical computations, and leadership that my adjudication experience hasn't really gotten into. (My adjudication experience has focused a lot more on research, analytical, writing, communicating, and teaching skills, and maybe some leadership).

Thanks!
It depends on the position you are applying for. You should always tailor your resume to highlight the most appropriate and relavent position for the job you want.

Personally, I do not use the chronological resume. The reason for this being that I have been in the work-force for more than 30 years and have done a WEALTH of different things. If I were to include ALL of my jobs (which would be pretty much impossible), the resume would be 40 pages long and chances are no employer would want to wade through it to obtain the information that they are looking for.

Instead, I use bullet points to highlight the experience and qualities that I feel are most useful to the potential employer in question and include employment information that directly relates to what I am looking for.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search