Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't agree with that because you still have to give it a shot even if you don't have a inside contact. If I didn't apply to the job I'm at now I would still be unemployed or working somewhere I didn't want to work.
I agree. not everyone has alot of inside contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Not everyone is as LUCKY as you TV Guy.
And STOP calling people bitter. If you didn't have money you'd be bitter, too. Today I was watching something on tv about frugal shopping for the holidays and I almost burst into tears.

I don't even SEE myself having money for my bills unless I get a job soon, let alone to buy 'frugal half price gifts' for people.

Some people are so 'detached from reality' because the rest of us are LIVING it.
No more posting about your awesome job finding skills, okay???
I am sorry you are having a rough time. It is tough finding an elementary teaching job. I am looking too and thinking about retraining in another career. I think a lot of people don't realize that there are 500 teachers applying for one position in some schools. In one school, they told me that they got 4000 applications for 10 positions!! In charter schools the number of applicants is a little lower so I figure I have a better shot at getting hired in a charter school.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am sorry you are having a rough time. It is tough finding an elementary teaching job. I am looking too and thinking about retraining in another career. I think a lot of people don't realize that there are 500 teachers applying for one position in some schools. In one school, they told me that they got 4000 applications for 10 positions!! In charter schools the number of applicants is a little lower so I figure I have a better shot at getting hired in a charter school.
I went through this 20 years ago so I got out of the field. It's terrible to think you can't get a job in what you trained for but I shifted gears and worked in offices (I have done office work since I was 18 on breaks from college).

When I was in grad school, I heard people say "there are few jobs" for teachers and those who did have jobs were either lucky, hooked up, or worked in "Christian schools."

Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a sincere request for help does not start with please no stupid comments.
She asked for serious advice, not sincere advice. Your post doesn't exactly come across as sincere, more like smart-a**ed. JMHO.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that because you still have to give it a shot even if you don't have a inside contact. If I didn't apply to the job I'm at now I would still be unemployed or working somewhere I didn't want to work.
What line of work are you in and in what area of the country if you don't mind my asking.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What line of work are you in and in what area of the country if you don't mind my asking.
Career Counselor, Philly, Pa

Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM

34 posts, read 115,996 times
Quote:
I am either invisible or in some alternative world where when I interview some 'other better candidate' comes along and I do not get offered the job. I was actually told this last week after one interview.

Recently I had 2 job interviews in schools for jobs below my education but I was perfectly willing to do them to get into a district and to gain experience so I can pursue certification in this state.

Well, I did not get either job. It is very disheartening. At the last one, I was well dressed and had 'a recommendation.' The woman who interviewed after me was in jeans and a T-shirt...I was like 'what the hell??'

Is dumbing down a resume the only way to be hired now? Or acting a bit stupid and dressing 'poorly?' I have brought my "A game" to every interview and can't get even a part time job.

I have experience and education, a nice personality, a sense of humor...and so on. I send thank yous, ask questions, answer thoughtfully and sincerely..

So....what to do?? I am out of answers and ready to move from here or just give up (can't afford to...but still, I feel like it.) I have NEVER had so much trouble finding a job. I am starting to think it's the area AND the economy...(we are considering moving again).

I appreciate all thoughtful answers, not stupid comments.

I don't think you should dumb down your resume. I think it is better to make your resume to be just about the right fit. If you are applying to a position that you are "overqualified" for then you may want to address your accomplishments very lightly so you don't seem so over qualified.

The employer assumes that an employee won't be happy in a job that is worth less than their previous job so they may not consider you their winning candidate, they would rather hire someone who is making less than what they are willing to offer. Also, if the job asks for an Associate or Bachelors and you have a Masters or Phd then its best not to talk too much about your graduate degrees and just lean more toward your undergraduate degrees. Hope this helps. Just hang in there and try to learn from each interview so your next one would be better. Good luck!!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 PM

17 posts, read 145,308 times
the people who move up are those who have experience parallel to their line up of positions. or those who continue their education in some form. pick up some kind of charity project, or get involved in your community, look around for memberships and volunteer! that shows you are diverse and creative. i find employers are most interested in a multi distinguished background and creativity has caught on as an important measure of value to an occupational environment. and, if you work with people, add a new demographic to your experience. for example if you can say you have worked with people in all ages and stages as a social worker you are more experienced than a person who has worked 15 years in the same division. i read somewhere (over a rainbow) that only about 8% of people feel that they are employed in their major field of study. what a relief art is just another bad choice among a big 92% in my boat, without a paintbrush and considerably more math in their past! it is normal to go to many interviews i am european and was told to write min 100 cover letters just for a chance at a few interviews, so i moved across the big lake not always a bad choice, moving around, just wait until the downturn turns up somewhere. with the unemployment on the rise it just takes more time trust me if you are getting interviews you are doing great. i think dumbed down may be a stylish misconception of the competition. stay smart and keep options open as you are, it is the best thing you can do.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Career Counselor, Philly, Pa
Is this not ironic or what?
How's job going, anyhow, TV Guy? It's been a few weeks. Do you like it?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Is this not ironic or what?
How's job going, anyhow, TV Guy? It's been a few weeks. Do you like it?
You're not following the saga? He never says anything about the job itself but has all sorts of fantasies about how his female coworkers are continuously hitting on him, touching him, kissing the back of his neck and indulging in seriously personal things. The worst is the woman who has placed an office stapler between hers and TVSG's workspace so they can share it instead of her requisitioning one for herself. Can you imagine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment