Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM

137 posts, read 624,979 times

Advertisements

Been out of work for 9 months. Spend all of my time looking for work, emailing resumes, networking, researching, talking to friends about work, thinking about work, stressing about how hard it is to find work, worrying about paying bills, worrying about the kids, stressing about the future, ...I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!
Today is a particularly bad day and I'm really starting to LOSE IT!
This is all consuming and I can't seem to let it go. I'm losing sleep, can't eat, etc. No one even calls or writes back to acknowledge " thanks for your interest" .
I don't even know if my resume is being looked at. I've already gone through all the usual stuff about marketing myself and re-vamping my resume. Something is just not clicking and I'm scared.
Anyone else getting burned out from ' Not Working' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I am so sorry you're having so much difficulty. It's one of the most stressful things that can happen.
For what it's worth, it's not that something isn't clicking or that anything is wrong with you or your resume. The environment is brutal, and it's bad enough without blaming yourself for not cracking it yet.
You sound terribly anxious (not sleeping/eating) and that is brutal on you, too. Might I suggest a temporary use of tranquilizing medication? I'm serious. I work in the field and know that anxiety is pure adrenaline, the engine running and not hooked up to the transmission. A small dose of, say, Klonopin (a mild benzo), like one milligram, can knock down the adrenaline so you won't feel so ill from it.
It doesn't cure the job situation, of course, but it can protect your health in this very difficult time.
Thoughts are with you. The economic environment is off the charts. You are not at fault.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Wait till it's a year, year and a half..

Sadly you can 'do everything' and still 'get no where.'

You just have to hang in there. Have your freak out and then you have to get back to it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,713 times
Sounds like it's time to get out of the house and go into business for yourself. Or, take anything you can find just to keep from going crazy. But I have never been without a job for long so what do i know! But i was let go one time and it scared the hell out of me, house payment and kids to support.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
get out of the house and exercise. WALK very fast for at least a half an hour. It helps alot with stress. If you have a treadmill walk, run, move! I find exercise to really help me and put new light on things. It also helps with sleep.

Dont panic, this never helped. Deep breath, hot bath, warm soup and a good cry!! Sorry things suck.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Taking anything you can find is easy to say, but that's even impossible. WalMart has a freeze on, and most places don't even answer you. I've gotten three rejections this week - one for a clerical position, the other two from Macys/Bloomingdales for seasonal jobs.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
It just breaks my heart to read some of our posts. Aren't you the custom woodworker? Please accept my apology if I'm wrong. My suggestions are just going to be "good old fashioned horse sense" from an unemployed sales/marketing/PR person. By no means am I trained in any counseling area. Try to focus on anything positive right now. Maybe we should all start making our list of things that we're thankful for right now instead of waiting for Thanksgiving. Tell yourself that you are doing the best you can under some horrific circumstances. Write this on a card and put it on the refrigerator and your car dash. Think of another hardship area you've had in life. Tell yourself that you made it through that and you'll make it through this, too. Participate in our City Data forums -- there are some fantastic people on here. Talk to some Great Depression survivors if there any in your area. Try to think if there is anything you can sell to raise some cash. Does the weather still permit you to have a yard sale or rent a flea market booth where you live? Can you barter anything? You may have tried all of these suggestions already, but I hope there is either something you can use or it triggers another idea. Keep in touch with us and good luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It could be time to mow grass for a living or wash cars?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
It's the economy. I just applied for a job that is EXACTLY like the job I lost. They are almost a competitor of my last company. I got the phone interview but was bypassed for the in person interview. I couldn't have been more qualified for that position. I spent the afternoon bawling. That was my first lead in months and even a job I'm exactly qualified for, I can't get. How am I supposed to compete?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It could be time to wash cars?
I've been in the hi-end detail biz for 28 years. Even were slow. I've never witinessed anything like this. Plus 10/13 days of rain hasn't helped

To the OP, Man you just gotta hang in there my friend. Things will get better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment