U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM

5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Default Pre-Employment Physical Reverses A Job Offer?

Ok, I'm a diabetic now and take a med twice a day for it and check my blood glucose a couple of times a day (pricking & meter). Also take a med once a day for high cholestrol. Now, if a company offers me a job and the job offer is pending on a Background Check being ok (which mine would be) and a
Pre-Employment Physical, would/could the company reverse the job offer due to me being a diabetic/health condition/age (60)? I've also had a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery in my shoulder.
My career is in Purchasing and Inventory Management and, at my last position I helped out in the warehouse at times as well has having my own office/computer and etc. I know that IF a person is going to be doing anything too physical on the job, a company will generally order a
Pre-Employment Physical to be done.
I'm just wondering just how much my "medical status" will hurt me getting a job if a physical is required!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM

23,512 posts, read 30,966,214 times
If the job requires the ability to "lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend, kneel, stand for long periods" etc., etc. and you are judged to be not physically able to do so, then the company is well within their rights to rescind an offer.

If it's primarily a desk job and there's no physical activity involved, then it shouldn't matter. Some companies routinely require physicals of all employees regardless of the position they are hired for.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM

At my last job, I did work in the warehouse (when needed and just to help out). The heaviest I lifted was 45 lbs and I did that with no real problems. Fortunately, I didn't have the surgeries or sugar problem when I got offered the job. Now I don't know what would happen. I just happen to think of the "physical" thing this AM. I just wonder if there would be any way to convince a company that I could do the job even though they seen what my pre-physical reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If the job requires the ability to "lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend, kneel, stand for long periods" etc., etc. and you are judged to be not physically able to do so, then the company is well within their rights to rescind an offer.

If it's primarily a desk job and there's no physical activity involved, then it shouldn't matter. Some companies routinely require physicals of all employees regardless of the position they are hired for.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,791,826 times
I find it a bit odd that an employer would make a job offer prior to successfully passing a madatory physical. Kind of putting the cart before the horse.

In our office we work with employers who have mandatory drug testing and the job offer is contingent on passing the drug test. The offer is not on the table until the drug test is complete, and not before.

I think there could be problems for the employer if there is a bonofide job offer which was then withdrawn due to medical/physical reasons. Unless, of course, you said you could lift 50 pounds and the physical indicates otherwise...

Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Well, apparently, some companies don't put as much "emphasis" on a Physical for employment as others do. I think that was the thing with this company.......my job wasn't an 8-hour day physical one! Most of my day was spent in my office on the computer. Actually, after I had both of my surgeries (hip/shoulder), my supervisor could see that I could still help out in the warehouse at times. For what I did in the warehouse, I had no "restrictions" after my rehab was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I find it a bit odd that an employer would make a job offer prior to successfully passing a madatory physical. Kind of putting the cart before the horse.

In our office we work with employers who have mandatory drug testing and the job offer is contingent on passing the drug test. The offer is not on the table until the drug test is complete, and not before.

I think there could be problems for the employer if there is a bonofide job offer which was then withdrawn due to medical/physical reasons. Unless, of course, you said you could lift 50 pounds and the physical indicates otherwise...

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 PM

3,559 posts, read 9,265,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
...........In our office we work with employers who have mandatory drug testing and the job offer is contingent on passing the drug test. The offer is not on the table until the drug test is complete, and not before..............
Same is true with the physical - called post-offer physicals - and the extent of the exam varies by company. If the person "had a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery...", it would depend on what the job requires. If it entails reaching overhead >20/shift, then someone who can't raise their arms past shoulder height might not pass. I always get a functional assessment in these cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment