Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:21 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

I have a lead on a job in another state, my "contact" told me they are not relocating, we would have to relocate ourselves, which we are prepared to do.

However, he told me that I would probably not even be considered without a local address. How to obtain a local address, can I get a POB or private mail box in another location? We have a POB here, but we had to show ID. Any way to get a local POB in another location short of actually going there and filling out an application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If you are working where you are now, you better be prepared with an explanation of how you are living in another state and still working where you are actually living. You also need to be prepared to be there for an interview with under 24 hours notice--which can be REALLY expensive if you'll need to fly to get there.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I think that most Mailbox stores (and those like it) have an actual street address for those who rent mail boxes with them. I don' know what type of arrangements are made to actually get your mail from them.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
Default mail network

You could try a mail forwarding site. They'll rent you a local address (not simply a P.O. Box) and forward the mail to your current location.
I've not tried it personally. If you use the service, let me know how it goes. Good Luck!

International Mail Forwarding Network

Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 AM

97 posts, read 250,054 times
We have a similar predicament. We are planning to move to Austin in the next few months. Would like to start job hunting now (construction superintendent, 30 years in the field), but we do not have a local address yet. I'd like some input on whether we should get a "mail forwarding" type of service with an Austin address, or if having an out-of-state home address would still get me an interview? We are going to move either way,and are willing to pay our own relocation expenses, but it would be great to have a job lined up first.
Does anyone have any good mail forwarding companies that they could recommend in the Austin area, should we go that route?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I think that most Mailbox stores (and those like it) have an actual street address for those who rent mail boxes with them. I don' know what type of arrangements are made to actually get your mail from them.
I have a box at a UPS Store, it's a street address, but then I have to add "Box # 123." You can Google it and see that it's a UPS store. Mine will ship mail to you, but they will only do so using UPS Next day, so it's an expensive way to get junkmail.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsunsets1 View Post
We have a similar predicament. We are planning to move to Austin in the next few months. Would like to start job hunting now (construction superintendent, 30 years in the field), but we do not have a local address yet. I'd like some input on whether we should get a "mail forwarding" type of service with an Austin address, or if having an out-of-state home address would still get me an interview? We are going to move either way,and are willing to pay our own relocation expenses, but it would be great to have a job lined up first.
Does anyone have any good mail forwarding companies that they could recommend in the Austin area, should we go that route?
Again you need to have an explanation for why you are employed in "Jonesville" while your mailing address says "Statesville" 500 miles away.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
there must be a way and I'll check into it further.
There are a LOT of people who spend most of their time traveling in motorhomes, so they obviously have a means of getting their mail.
I know quite a few people who have several residences as well.
And others who live in Canada yet summer in the states.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Most people traveling in motorhomes aren't looking for jobs. People with several residences have a permanent residence near their place of employment. Same thing with summer homes.

You are better of being up front about not being a lcoal applicant but have nothing keeping you at your current location and don't need relo money in the cover letter. By trying to appear to be a local applicant when you aren't , you simply look deceitful. And yes, the prospective employer WILL figure it out.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
with times being what they are, I've heard just recently of a lot of people taking up residence in motorhomes. AND are looking for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment