Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 61,147 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say Hi to all my fellow job seekers. Hope you can provide me with some positive information. As far as I am concerned this is just another day of checking my e-mails looking for a positive response from one of the numerous resumes that I have sent out in one form or another. Worse yet, waiting for the telephone to ring like a puppy waits by the window for his master to arrive.
Would like to share some of my opinions concerning today's job market, your free to think of me as being ignorant or just plain naive if you wish:
1) Yes, today's economy is horrible and, yes, some areas of the country are worse off then others. But it has become quite obvious to me and to others I have spoken with either in person or on the internet:
EMPLOYERS ARE NOW USING THE NEGATIVE ECONOMY AS ONE BIG EXCUSE!
Now they all have the same record: business is slow, its not what it should be or its a soft market.

2) The way to get and keep a job is to know "HOW TO PLAY THE GAME".
I know this from fact after working for the same company for over 25 years before being laid off for " POLITICAL REASONS". This company is still in business and doing from what I understand JUST FINE..

3) From reading many of the post hear I see that many are well written and appear to be from hard working intelligent individuals.
THEN WHY DO THE SAME LAZY, RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS INDIVIDUALS STILL HAVE A GOOD JOB COLLECTING THEIR NICE FAT WEEKLY PAYCHECKS. Because they know all to well how to "PLAY THE GAME.
If an individual is someone different, they are looked at as an outcast. IF the person is not liked for one reason or other the "GAME PLAYERS" will sooner or later have that person removed one way or other. I seen this happen way to often and came to the defense of many when I felt they were being victimized unjustly.

SORRY IF MY RANT IS BORING PEOPLE. JUST LOOKING TO EXPRESS MY VIEWS!

4) Everywhere on the internet are "THE BEST WAY TO SUBMIT A RESUME" and hints how to land that great job. I feel that many individuals whose job gives them the power to accept or reject a prospected job candidate are all to happy to received a resume via the internet rather then a hard copy. Because they are just to lazy to read even the first line. It's much easier to have a computer look for "KEY WORDS" while they can check out "HOTTEST VACATION SPOTS FOR 2009" websites or just skim through a magazine. Sorry if I touched a nerve with anyone but I am sure if this applies to you, you know who you are.

5) I guess its quite obvious from my thoughts I come from the "OLD SCHOOL" way of thinking. Its unfortunate, but I must concede in today's world it gets you nowhere quite fast.

THANKS TO ALL FOR LISTENING OR BETTER YET READING.
GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by frankie41; 07-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: STRUCTURE CORRECTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Well put Frankie-Reps to you Now, how the heck are we going to survive in such a market? I'm running out of options

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the compliment, LeaveWI.
I wish I had a good answer for you, I know all too well its very depressing.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie41 View Post
Would like to share some of my opinions concerning today's job market, your free to think of me as being ignorant or just plain naive if you wish:
1) Yes, today's economy is horrible and, yes, some areas of the country are worse off then others. But it has become quite obvious to me and to others I have spoken with either in person or on the internet:
Now they all have the same record: business is slow, its not what it should be or its a soft market.

It's not an excuse. It's reality. Most companies have had dramatic fall-offs in revenues and they need to cut employees and cut pay to stay afloat.

Quote:
I know this from fact after working for the same company for over 25 years before being laid off for " POLITICAL REASONS". This company is still in business and doing from what I understand JUST FINE..
This is true in a degree everywhere but most people keep their jobs and advance by being competent at what they do and by showing value to their employer. Companies that are full of people who just kiss-ass and aren't competent typically don't stay in business for long.

Quote:
3) From reading many of the post hear I see that many are well written and appear to be from hard working intelligent individuals.
THEN WHY DO THE SAME LAZY, RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS INDIVIDUALS STILL HAVE A GOOD JOB COLLECTING THEIR NICE FAT WEEKLY PAYCHECKS. Because they know all to well how to "PLAY THE GAME.
If an individual is someone different, they are looked at as an outcast. IF the person is not liked for one reason or other the "GAME PLAYERS" will sooner or later have that person removed one way or other. I seen this happen way to often and came to the defense of many when I felt they were being victimized unjustly.
Again, this may be true in some places but it's an exception- especially in private enterprise that must compete.

Quote:
4) Everywhere on the internet are "THE BEST WAY TO SUBMIT A RESUME" and hints how to land that great job. I feel that many individuals whose job gives them the power to accept or reject a prospected job candidate are all to happy to received a resume via the internet rather then a hard copy. Because they are just to lazy to read even the first line. It's much easier to have a computer look for "KEY WORDS" while they can check out "HOTTEST VACATION SPOTS FOR 2009" websites or just skim through a magazine. Sorry if I touched a nerve with anyone but I am sure if this applies to you, you know who you are.
Because of the Internet companies get more resumes than they could ever process manually. It's a mixed blessing. Companies need to use programs to process these resumes because they get thousands per job- most of which are junk. Anyone can email a resume and people apply for jobs they aren't even remotely qualified, and many do.

Quote:
5) I guess its quite obvious from my thoughts I come from the "OLD SCHOOL" way of thinking. Its unfortunate, but I must concede in today's world it gets you nowhere quite fast.
Yes, you're way too distracted. It's fine to vent sometimes, but you should concentrate on enhancing and then showing your competency and value to a prospective employer.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie41 View Post
Just wanted to say Hi to all my fellow job seekers. Hope you can provide me with some positive information. As far as I am concerned this is just another day of checking my e-mails looking for a positive response from one of the numerous resumes that I have sent out in one form or another. Worse yet, waiting for the telephone to ring like a puppy waits by the window for his master to arrive.

SORRY IF MY RANT IS BORING PEOPLE. JUST LOOKING TO EXPRESS MY VIEWS!

THANKS TO ALL FOR LISTENING OR BETTER YET READING.
GOOD LUCK.

You have to decrease your bitterness and come up with a new way to succeed in finding a job.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You have to decrease your bitterness and come up with a new way to succeed in finding a job.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Frankie is bitter because he is FED UP!! I know the feeling....

You try being out of work almost a year. You'd be bitter too. No, wait, that's WHY I don't have a job this week.

All this pollyanna b.s. about 'keep on trying' and 'scrap on' is a bunch of crap when it's spouted by EMPLOYED people.

I would LOVE to see anyone out of work as long as I have been and who has TRIED AND TRIED not be a little bitter. Not having a job is ruining my life, my marriage and my whole persona. I am constantly reminded that we STILL have to live on my husband's paycheck which barely covers regular expenses, not to mention problems that pop up. He makes sure he tells me every day how he cannot change jobs till I get something else...

But no, mustn't be bitter. Tomorrow is another day, another bill, another argument, another time to wonder why the heck my life turned out this way when all 'did everything right.'

Frankie41, you have to smile more and stop observing the truth less.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Thank You for your feedback, mwv, but allow me to explain at least in part why I feel this way:

1) I have spoken to people in the same line of business as myself who continue to work for the same companies at this time. Some of the companies that they are working for are either must larger or much smaller than the firm I previously had worked for. I keep in touch with these people on a constant basis and ask how is business and is your department or company now hiring. The general response I get is no they are not hiring anyone new, they are just keeping the same work force with no reduction or increase in staff. When I ask the question, how is business, most respond the same as its always has been no increase or decrease. Some claim it is now more busy than ever, one friend that is also in the same field as myself stated his department showed a gain in new business over the previous year.

2) The company I had worked for was very poorly ran but is still in business after close to 50 years.

3) Still these same waste of time individuals continue to have the good fortune to be employed while
good workers are pounding the pavement looking for a few crumbs.

4) I have seen hard copy resumes that appeared to be very professional sit on the top of desk, over
time they would slowing disappear under a pile of papers never to be seen again. I always asked
myself the question, has this even been read.

5) I'm not distracted, just very upset and tired.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Frankie is bitter because he is FED UP!! I know the feeling....

You try being out of work almost a year. You'd be bitter too. No, wait, that's WHY I don't have a job this week.

All this pollyanna b.s. about 'keep on trying' and 'scrap on' is a bunch of crap when it's spouted by EMPLOYED people.

I would LOVE to see anyone out of work as long as I have been and who has TRIED AND TRIED not be a little bitter. Not having a job is ruining my life, my marriage and my whole persona. I am constantly reminded that we STILL have to live on my husband's paycheck which barely covers regular expenses, not to mention problems that pop up. He makes sure he tells me every day how he cannot change jobs till I get something else...

But no, mustn't be bitter. Tomorrow is another day, another bill, another argument, another time to wonder why the heck my life turned out this way when all 'did everything right.'

Frankie41, you have to smile more and stop observing the truth less.

Don't give me that because I was rejected left and right from February to April and still couldn't wait until the next day because it was a chance of getting NEW JOB NEWS. If a person doesn't see each day as a "New opportunity to get back into the job world" then I just don't see how they will have success

Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Don't give me that because I was rejected left and right from February to April and still couldn't wait until the next day because it was a chance of getting NEW JOB NEWS. If a person doesn't see each day as a "New opportunity to get back into the job world" then I just don't see how they will have success
You were pissed off plenty of times, not this 'happy go lucky job seeker' you pretend to portray yourself as...

Whatever, you believe what you want. I am not here to argue with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment