Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

This is the video interview:

Yahoo!

Now, people are "afraid" about the Gov meddling IN YOUR LIFE??????.....HOW about this non-sense where employers snoop in on you!!!? this is mostly UNFAIR, to use a NICE word, because these people are making decisions without even knowing HOW someone got their credit ruined! NOBODY ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS WORLD DOES THIS TO THEIR CITIZENS! This cannot be more against a country's citizens!

IF someone DOESN'T HAVE A JOB, because THEY LOST IT and because they were NOT ABLE to find another job within 24 hours (thanks to current economic conditions) so of course they're NOT going to be able to make payments at some point...and contrary to what this woman claims, LENDERS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU A "BREAK" IN PAYMENTS! MY husband works with them and NONE allow for that, I don't know where she is getting her facts, but they are NOT TRUE, if this was TRUE, there
wouldn't be so many foreclosures going on right now and people would have been able to hold on to their homes!!!!

Seriously! we (moms) are worried that we can't get employment after being home a few years with our kids (because daycare's charge an arm and a leg) and THEN have THIS to deal with too? are these people TRYING to keep the unemployment rate this high? and make people homeless?

20% of college graduates or young people without jobs is outrageous! these people spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to GET EDUCATED and now they can't even get employed so they can get a chance to pay those huge loans back??????????????

This is absolutely ridiculous......

Unbelievable!

Last edited by 2goldens; 07-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM

192 posts, read 857,937 times
You can thank Fair Isaac they came up with this lovely system of FICO scores, now you are a number. It is used fairly/unfairly by many industries insurance, employers etc. You have been just a number for several years and it will only get worse. Welcome to the new Amerika.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM

92 posts, read 349,431 times
Exclamation A Call To Arms.

It will take none other than a massive violent uprising on a national scale by the working class against the wealthy to take back our standard of living in this country.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Ohhh agree cameralens,

However I am very surprised that people put up with this poor treatment! I would sure SUE a company if they declined me employment based on my credit! that is not only a crass invasion of privacy but also a complete disregard to my skills for the job itself!!!!!!! for these college graduates to spend 4 years getting specialized and then not get hired because of their CREDIT is outrageous to say the least!

The middle class life level here sucks! can't get health insurance, every time we move we have to put down large deposits for basic utilities.....nowhere in my entire life spent in Europe was I ever asked for credit or deposits when opening cable, electric or phone service......!? or sucked into dead end contracts....

The fact that WE AS CITIZENS are less and less trusted based on credit which is given abusively as it is ONLY to PUT PEOPLE in shambles is completely against any citizen rights! of course there will always be jerks who just rack up credit card for the hell of it,but the rest of the people are pretty responsible and a LOT of people end up using them for medical bills because insurance companies decide out of the blue when to stop covering people!!!!!!

The economy doesn't suck, these policies suck and are keeping everyone on edge...it's not like people DON'T WANT JOBS....they do, who doesn't want to work and provide for themselves? really??? but businesses have to put up with so many rules against employees that it makes it impossible for some to get a job!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
There is a simple solution.....don't live beyond your means.

It's pretty obvious that an employer would rather hire someone who is responsible with their money and life as they are a safer bet to be a good employee.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 PM

65 posts, read 378,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There is a simple solution.....don't live beyond your means.

It's pretty obvious that an employer would rather hire someone who is responsible with their money and life as they are a safer bet to be a good employee.
Really?

So, lemme get this straight...

Company "X" puts damaging and INCORRECT info on your credit report. And as we all should know, the reporting agencies take their sweet time (and could honestly care less) about resolving an issue like this in a timely manner. If you were out of work, had an interview, and did well... BUT were not hired because of your credit report, you'd be OK with it?

What kind of never ending cycle would this set up? Someone has a poor credit score due to unemployment, then they can't get a job to correct their credit score because they have a poor credit score.

Let's say a spouse gets ill and you get saddled with heavy amounts of debt and get into a financial bind (which happens to hundreds of thousands of people a year)... then you lose your job... Then what? You can't get a job because of your credit score AND you have a sick spouse!

Another thing... This sets up the rich, not just those who have good credit. The rich and well off will have automatic "dibs" at a job because they will always have superior credit scores.

Did you know that truly wealthy people don't even have credit scores?

They have a separate FICO system set up for wealthy celebrities and those who make 10s of millions of dollars per year. The financial rules that the common man has to follow doesn't even apply to the wealthy! Lending and banking institutions have people that are on call 24/7 who's sole duty is to OK credit transactions of the wealthy no matter where they are, no matter what time it is. Literally, when Joe Billionaire requests a line of credit who ever is processing their request gets a code from the credit reporting agency informing them to call, on the other line there's a person who then simply gives the nod. No score, no list of friends required, no family contact info, no employment history... nothing. Meantime, you and I have to fill out an application, and wait for approval, and sometimes (if the approval agency is closed) we have to wait until business hours the next day.

Do you realize that this sets up a situation that would REQUIRE getting credit cards and assuming debt in order to get a job! This is essentially saying that you have to pay a bank monthly interest in order for them to say that you're a "good person"!

I haven't used a credit card or accrued debt (other than a car payment) in 12 years. My credit score is OK but not perfect... why? Because I have virtually no credit history. So I suppose that I'm irresponsible with my money, huh.

Don't be a fool for the banks and the rich greedy cats that are working hard to get YOUR money.

Last edited by DustyButt; 07-11-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
Really?

So, lemme get this straight...

Company "X" puts damaging and INCORRECT info on your credit report. And as we all should know, the reporting agencies take their sweet time (and could honestly care less) about resolving an issue like this in a timely manner. If you were out of work, had an interview, and did well... BUT were not hired because of your credit report, you'd be OK with it?

What kind of never ending cycle would this set up? Someone has a poor credit score due to unemployment, then they can't get a job to correct their credit score because they have a poor credit score.

Do you even realize that this sets up a situation that would REQUIRE getting credit cards and assuming debt in order to get a job! This is essentially saying that you have to pay a bank monthly interest in order for them to say that you're a "good person". HA HA!

I haven't used a credit card or accrued debt (other than a car payment) in 12 years. My credit score is OK but not perfect... why? because I have virtually no credit history. So I suppose that I'm irresponsible with my money, huh.

Don't be a fool for the banks and the rich greedy cats that are working hard to get YOUR money.
Check your credit report for free three times a year and if you stay on top of it you won't have a problem.

The credit score system is the way it is. This topic has nothing to do with whether the system is just or not. If you have no debt at all and no credit score you think a place isn't going to hire you? OK! This type of screening is looking for the people with tons of debt and a poor history of paying it.

As for your personal situation you have no debt at all(assuming car paid now) and a good credit score so you are set. When places run these type of reports they get to see how much debt you have outstanding as well. A company isn't going to not hire someone who has no credit and no debt.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
I wouldn't get too upset about it. Very few times will your credit effect your employment opportunities. Unless you're applying for a job that requires some form of security clearance or rather high management position you have very little to worry about.

Secondly, there have been numerous studies done on the subject and there has been no solid correlation between a person's credit report and how reliable of an employee they will be. Most employers realize this now and I see the trend starting to go the other way now.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I wouldn't get too upset about it. Very few times will your credit effect your employment opportunities. Unless you're applying for a job that requires some form of security clearance or rather high management position you have very little to worry about.

Secondly, there have been numerous studies done on the subject and there has been no solid correlation between a person's credit report and how reliable of an employee they will be. Most employers realize this now and I see the trend starting to go the other way now.
I used to work at one of the big investment firms and they ran credit reports yearly. I had plenty of co-workers in plenty of debt and living paycheck to paycheck and they still never had any problems.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 PM

65 posts, read 378,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
... A company isn't going to not hire someone who has no credit and no debt.
Already, during the hiring process, employers use an automated system that looks for key words on a resume. Once employment credit checks are commonplace and automated the job seekers will automatically be ranked by credit score. So even if a person has good credit they'll be at a disadvantage by the virtue of having NO CREDIT HISTORY compared to the higher score of someone with debt who pays in a timely fashion. Like I said, you'd have to incur debt to get a higher score so a bank can say you're a "good person".

That's not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment