U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,250,795 times
I think you did the right thing calling...it shows that you generally cared about your job and realize you messed up. It sounds like it hasn't permanently tarnished your reputation with Target if she asked if you'd still like to work for the company. Good luck, I hope you get some resolution out of this, even if it's just some closure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

914 posts, read 2,305,452 times
I am glad to hear calling HR went well, and that you brought up the $300.00. While it was clearly within their right to fire you, trying to pin such a discrepancy of money on you isn't right. As one other posted suggested a while back, maybe the sum is so large because some is trying to cover something else up. Regardless, if they are going to fire you for something, they should at least have their ducks in a row. Not calling would just mean whatever is going on, they are free to do it again. They might still be the case in the end, but at least you tried to do something about it, instead of rolling over and letting people treat you unfairly.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM

3,650 posts, read 10,409,946 times
You could also write a letter to the H.R. department thanking them for letting you talk. You also
could ask them if a note could be put into your folder regarding the fact it was not you with the
300.00 . People come and go, so it would help to have a positive in your file.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM

8,183 posts, read 9,148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
An update:

I called up "Target Employee relations."

She also asked me if I was still interested in working for Target.

So any other advice?

THANKS EVERYONE!
Did you ask for an elaboration on that question? Is there another Target within a reasonable distance that perhaps they are considering placing you at? If things went down the way that you've described, i would think H.R. would be a bit puzzled by the sequence of events, and perhaps inclined to give you a 2nd chance in another capacity at another location.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,360,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
And honestly who reads employee handbooks?
I guess I get to answer this as well. Are you aware that your employee handbook is your contract with your employer? Everything that is written in that book is their contract of what they will do for you if you do your job for them. So, Who reads contracts????? You buy a car, who reads contracts??? You rent an apartment, who reads contracts???? You buy a house, who reads contracts??? but you are going to tell me, that you give your body and soul to someone at least 8 hours a day and you don't give a damn about what they are promising you in return except for your pay? YOU NEED TO READ CONTRACTS!!!!!
Cause I got some, "Ocean Front property in Arizona" from my front porch you can see, that I'll sell you, reallllllll cheap.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM

12,153 posts, read 10,336,318 times
Quote:
Also, I wanted to know why they told everyone I was fired.
Personally I wouldn't have even touched that issue. Working in retail nothing is ever really disclosed but people always know. If you're on the schedule and your name is crossed out but you didn't tell anyone that you were leaving, it's going to be natural that someone says you were fired. I don't know what type of investigation that's going to be as I imagine it will be something like high school where everybody knows but doesn't remember who they heard it from.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 PM

983 posts, read 2,957,429 times
Quote:
I am?

Why would they give it to me if I got fired though?
I'm a bit late on this one but it depends on what you got fired for? A friend of mine was certain she didn't qualify because she quit! Well after several people kept telling her to apply anyway she did get approved. The reason she quit was due to unbearable stress caused by a miserable manager that was bent on making everyone as miserable as she was.

Bottom line what you have to lose by applying?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,750,481 times
I havent read this entired thread so may be repeating some things here. I don't think the monetary amount matters much as you violated most retail policies by ringing up your own purchase. As for the Unemployment Insurance benefits, many states still allow for benefits under both a quit or a termination. In Alaska you just cant draw the benefits for 5 or 6 weeks later.

The other thing here, and I believe the most important part, is that you are being accused of 300 bucks and need to go to you state's Human Rights department who will advocate on your behalf if Targets isn't being above-board with the actual truth. They also shouldn't be spilling the beans to anyone.

When employers contact other employers for reference checks it customary to ask if the individual is eligible for rehire. They don't need to say why the individual isn't eligible for rehire which could only lead to legal issues.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,017,595 times
You broke company policy... You have no case as long as it was a rule that you can't ring yourself up (I could have told you that you cannot). So start looking for jobs there is nothing else you can do... well you can keep posting about how much Bush screwed up America on C-D

Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 PM

434 posts, read 585,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
No, you don't get UE benefits if you got fired for violating company policy. No they don't have to warn you, verbally or written, if they feel that the violation of company policy is flagrant enought to warrant termination then that is the company and the store manager's perogative.
This is the way the real world works:
1. They gave you a job and the opportunity to do it, and get paid while doing it.
2. Every company has a handbook, policies and procedures, you're in college, therefore you are adult and mature enough to take responsibility for reading the rules, if you didn't, well, once again, this is the real world
(that defense never gets you out of a speeding ticket, "Officer, I didn't know the speed limit was 40 mph, I thought it was 60 mph, so can you give me a warning?"
3. The reason they believe it to be flagrant is as you've stated, you did it many times, ergo, you didn't care about company policy, so they believe you will continue to breach company policy until someone catches you and tells you its wrong. (you are responsible for knowing what is right and wrong, it is not your supervisor's responsibility to baby you thru and tell you that if you do that you will get it trouble, this is your first warning etc.)
4. Your credit card receipts will prove nothing, except what you claim them to, whether the item purchased was really the item you took out of the store is another question, could have been a $200 IPOD instead of gum, no one can disprove it, and neither can you prove it wasn't. Thats the reason for the policy.
Ignorance of the law, rules, is no excuse, frankly, it is your fault and responsibility for not doing your job and taking it seriously.
So, now you have to buck up, try and get another job, with bad history under your belt. Good luck.
YOU are wrong. you "DO" get unemployment even if you've been fired. even if it's for doing something wrong. They do an interview and based on that interview, it's determined wheather you deserve it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment