Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Glad you reported them, this type of thing burns me up.

(And I'm assuming that this is not a situation where a small vineyard owner pays his out of work buddy $50 and all the beer he can drink to help him plant new vines on a Saturday afternoon as a one off thing. IMHO that's not worth the time to investigate.)
No, one is a sous chef and the other is a line cook. They do catering for the events at the vineyard. Between the both of them they make about $6000 a month tax and obligation free, plus around $150 a month in food stamps....the only reason I know this is one of them tried to pay part of his rent with his food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:18 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,512 times
I think the rules some companies have about "zero tolerance" for felonies is definitely flawed, but I think that our security/safety obsessed society is to blame in some respects. Lawsuits and liability have alot more to do with it than some would believe also.

I personally feel that EVERYONE should be given a second chance. And that if the states and Federal governments feel that a convicted felon is ready to be off of probation/parole or out of prison and back in the community then they should be given opportunities just like everyone else. Of course I understand that a convicted rapist or child sex offender can't work at a nursing home or a daycare or at a school and that a career thief is probably not gonna get that security clearance or work at the jewelry counter, but I know that alot of folks are unemployed right now simply because they have a felony conviction and this only makes things worse for everybody in the long run.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I don't want to work with a convicted rapist or child molester. Period. They do not deserve a second chance. A man who rapes a random female has an incurable mental defect, and I don't want to be his next victim.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM

105 posts, read 250,260 times
I'm with you on this one JS1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
You'll hire someone who burned up 100 people but you won't hire someone with bad credit? Good grief....

Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM

105 posts, read 250,260 times
Rapist/Child molesters/murderers...none of them should even get out of prison..

Quote:
I don't want to work with a convicted rapist or child molester. Period. They do not deserve a second chance. A man who rapes a random female has an incurable mental defect, and I don't want to be his next victim.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
That so bull**** that a company won't hire a violent felon. I just punched someone ONCE because I was paranoid and being followed around and harassed. I still have gotten good jobs at good companies that didn't check if you had a felony. But one company, Schlumberger - I had to lie that I didn't have one and the recruiter for me lied too. So sometimes you just gotta lie... Because companies too unfairly discriminate against felons.

There are even online websites for felons to get a job but they are useless as I think companies just use them to blacklist felon applicants and never hire from there... So I don't even touch these job listings.

I go nationwide for job hunts, but right now I just focused on a job in Houston then in Chicago only after I moved. I'm gonna write my IL Gov for a Pardon of my felony and get my Psychiatrist and Priest to pitch in for me...

In some places, like Houston - a felon can't even get a good Apt because almost all Apt complexes do background checks.
I still crack up every time I read this.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Yup. The person who accidently killed 100 people showed remorse and took responsibility. It was also an accident. You don't "accidently" run up your credit cards and buy a house or car you can't afford.
Wow...

Are you looking for an employee, or a subject for your generalizations and assumptions?

Here's my turn to make assumptions... you care more about money than people!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Wow...

Are you looking for an employee, or a subject for your generalizations and assumptions?

Here's my turn to make assumptions... you care more about money than people!
No, I care about people who accept responsibility for their actions. Running up a credit card when you don't have the cash to pay it and then taking the easy way out and declaring bankruptcy because you don't want to work a second job to pay them off over the next 10 years shows a complete and utter lack of personal responsibility. Buying a house you can't afford because you put nbothing down on it and use an ARM product that you can barely afford at closing, let alone after a year when it adjusts shows a complete and utter lack of personal responsibility. And instead of taking responsibility for their actions, people declare bankruptcy or go through a short sale with zero tax liability and repercussion and walk away.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, maybe bringing back debtors prison isn't such a bad isea. It would certainly make people think twice about spending money they don't have--then not paying it back. It hurts the rest of us who do responsibly manage our finances with higher interest rates, harder to secure credit, and high cost of consumer goods. It also directly contributes to unemployment rates as those bad debts trickle down.

I'm simply amazed that more people aren't as angry as I am about how easy our government has made it for deadbeats to walk away from debt created by poor financial planning and living beyond ones means. (And notice, I'm not talking about medical debt.)

Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
You want Debtor's prison? You are living in the wrong country!

Bankruptcy law has been a part of the United States for a long time (read up on Thomas Jefferson). There's a reason that bankruptcy is in the Constitution. Our founding fathers were trying to get away from that nonsense in Europe!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
No, I care about people who accept responsibility for their actions. Running up a credit card when you don't have the cash to pay it and then taking the easy way out and declaring bankruptcy because you don't want to work a second job to pay them off over the next 10 years shows a complete and utter lack of personal responsibility. Buying a house you can't afford because you put nbothing down on it and use an ARM product that you can barely afford at closing, let alone after a year when it adjusts shows a complete and utter lack of personal responsibility. And instead of taking responsibility for their actions, people declare bankruptcy or go through a short sale with zero tax liability and repercussion and walk away.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, maybe bringing back debtors prison isn't such a bad isea. It would certainly make people think twice about spending money they don't have--then not paying it back. It hurts the rest of us who do responsibly manage our finances with higher interest rates, harder to secure credit, and high cost of consumer goods. It also directly contributes to unemployment rates as those bad debts trickle down.

I'm simply amazed that more people aren't as angry as I am about how easy our government has made it for deadbeats to walk away from debt created by poor financial planning and living beyond ones means. (And notice, I'm not talking about medical debt.)
I AGREE with you that there is really NO personal responsibility and that many, many......live well beyond their means.
BUT, with that said, it is still hard to secure DECENT employment thesedays to LIVE.
I've NEVER had a CC in my entire life and have ALWAYS lived within my means. I STILL suffer too and often wonder why I never took advantage of a CC and racked up debt on it for some "nice" things that I knew I would not be able to afford, but do so anyway.
It would seem that this practice IS the American way and EVERYONE tends to live like this!
Our elected leaders sure have NO problem spending money. OUR tax money!
They have NO problem giving themselves nice raises, no problem ALLOWING many CEO's from receiving HUGE multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses........even though THAT CEO......did his part in helping decimate that company and the shareholders in it!
AND.....FORGET about bringing back debtors prisons!
WE WOULD NEED at least.....another 100 MILLION jail cells!
Is THIS what you REALLY want to see America like?
They are already locking up an ever larger percentage of the population.....with about 3.5 MILLION behind bars NOW......up from about 500,000 in 1980.
MOST that are locked up......ARE poor and could never afford the kind of legal representation that practically, ensures their freedom. It ALL depends if one can AFFORD to BUY their way OUT of trouble. Most cannot and sometimes......even being filthy rich.....won't get one off. Just ask Bernie Madoff.
Personally, I do NOT support a tyrannical, totalitarian, draconian society that is looking more and more like a police state as it is, already!
What a witchunt our society truly is. ZERO tolerance and zero compassion more so than not. YOUR government WANTS it this way and they NEED it this way for THEIR reasons.
I refuse to be "supportive" of ANY further expansion of our Criminal Justice System when it's so far beyond corrupt and UNJUST. The corruption is far too rampant now.
I DO AGREE though........that murderers, rapists and child molesters have NO business EVER being released from prison and for US to keep just THESE groups of people locked up permanently........would require a LOT MORE jail cells to be built too.
For them.....it WOULD be worth it.
Our nation NEEDS to prioritize many things within itself and our LAWS and sentencing guidelines are definitely on the top of the list, IMHO!

Last edited by Sign; 10-06-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment