Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,081,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
You want Debtor's prison? You are living in the wrong country!

Bankruptcy law has been a part of the United States for a long time (read up on Thomas Jefferson). There's a reason that bankruptcy is in the Constitution. Our founding fathers were trying to get away from that nonsense in Europe!
The idea of debtors prison is one of the most un-patriotic and anti-American things I have read on this forum. Frankly, I am shocked. And a bit sad.

The idea of forgiveness and a second chance is a beautiful and useful thing. It fosters independence, innovation and entrepreneurship. Without this basic concept our country would not look the same today, not by a long shot.

I do agree there is abuse of the system, and it happens at all socioeconomic levels. However, for every person stupidly buying thousands of shoes, expensive cars, and ginormous flat screen TVs, there is another person who goes into debt to further his or her education, to start a business or to try a new idea. Sometimes those people succeed beyond their wildest dreams....and sometimes they fail.

I was on another thread with a similar theme today, and on a whim googled "famous bankruptcies" . Here is a (very) short list:

Walt Disney
Charles Goodyear
Ulysses S. Grant
Thomas Jefferson
Larry King
Debbie Reynolds

I like to think these individuals contribute(d) something to our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,081,464 times
And now back to our original programming......
Quote:
How does felons find work after they serve their time?

Any suggestions?
Pro Football
Rap Star

Those are two (legal) professions I can think of where having a "rap sheet" seems to be viewed as a plus. The fans love it for some reason.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,881,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A man who rapes a random female has an incurable mental defect, and I don't want to be his next victim.
Annerk, why is "random" a qualifier? Does it really matter?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,889,525 times
Truck driving and inventory jobs.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM

23,099 posts, read 28,825,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I just want to know View Post
Rapist/Child molesters/murderers...none of them should even get out of prison..
Costs $50k a year (both indirect/direct costs) to imprison someone. Is that money well-spent?

Prisons are destined to bankrupt our country one day, so some day, in the future, when your social security check doesn't arrive some day, or you take it to the bank and it bounces, you may rethink your positon on this.

Or dodging potholes in the roads, because there's no money to repair our roads. Or the bridge you pass over, plunges to the river, because there was no money to repair it.

And you're probably someone that watches their nickels, dimes and pennies, and will write a check out for $50k to your nearest prison.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,826,587 times
Everybody has to work and the government should try to assist with that. Why do we want bored felons that could get into drug dealing or hired crime deals. They need to be put to work....legitimate work.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM

105 posts, read 249,482 times
Not really... but what else could you or would you want to do with the rapists/child molesters/murderers? I understand your point... however... I still wouldn't want them back in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Costs $50k a year (both indirect/direct costs) to imprison someone. Is that money well-spent?

Prisons are destined to bankrupt our country one day, so some day, in the future, when your social security check doesn't arrive some day, or you take it to the bank and it bounces, you may rethink your positon on this.

Or dodging potholes in the roads, because there's no money to repair our roads. Or the bridge you pass over, plunges to the river, because there was no money to repair it.

And you're probably someone that watches their nickels, dimes and pennies, and will write a check out for $50k to your nearest prison.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,067,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Everybody has to work and the government should try to assist with that. Why do we want bored felons that could get into drug dealing or hired crime deals. They need to be put to work....legitimate work.

There is many programs the government has to help convicted felons obtain employment. Alot of felons just don't utilize the help or don't know about it.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Annerk, why is "random" a qualifier? Does it really matter?
In states that lack effective Romeo and Juliet laws, it very well could matter if the rape was statutory between a consentual 17 and 18 year old. That was my train of thought.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,426,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You're a nutcase of unfounded FEAR for this! After my felony and in ALL of the later jobs I got everyone liked me and I was NO HARM to anyone and I'm fully in control of what I'd do. And before or after my felony I NEVER had a fight at the workplace.

In IL - punch a Sr Citizen = felony
In NYC - punch a Sr Citizen = no felony
I'm sorry, but punching out a Sr. Citizen is never ok under any circumstances. Now, if you have a psychiatric diagnosis like paranoid schizophrenia but have been taking your meds religiously and years have passed, ok. That is another thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment