Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You will get crazy hours, but most of your coworkers will be hot young chicks, so you will get a lot of action.
Really?? Now thats something corporate life does NOT have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I can't stand the people who ask me if I want to buy their rip-off insurance, and when I say no, they disagree.

One time I rented from Enterprise at DFW airport, and they had the guts to say that the state of Texas requires that I have insurance on the car. I said "I have my own auto insurance policy", and they made me call the insurance company and fax them a copy of the insurance policy before they would rent me the car if I didn't buy their rip-off insurance (which isn't liability insurance, by the way, it only covers damage to their car). They made me so mad I haven't rented from Enterprise since then.
While I disagree with them lying about you "having" to have insurance, them verifying your coverages makes sense (used to do it all the time and got complaints all of the time). If they are giving you a $15k car the least they can do is make sure it's going to be insured.

During my time in rental, I would call insurance companies to verify insurance and I can honestly say that 10-15% of people either had a policy lapse, did not know they only had liability or had switched carriers without even knowing it.

Also, there is a liability coverage at most rental places that's paid for by a third party insurance company. The coverage on the vehicle just says the rental car company won't come after you for any damage. they usually just pay out of pocket. The margins on the coverages are slim though. I think per day it was like 75 cents to 1.75 on the car coverage.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
You will get crazy hours, but most of your coworkers will be hot young chicks, so you will get a lot of action.
You work 60 hours per week with people and then go out boozing afterward there is bound to be some "action" going on.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
While I disagree with them lying about you "having" to have insurance, them verifying your coverages makes sense (used to do it all the time and got complaints all of the time). If they are giving you a $15k car the least they can do is make sure it's going to be insured.

During my time in rental, I would call insurance companies to verify insurance and I can honestly say that 10-15% of people either had a policy lapse, did not know they only had liability or had switched carriers without even knowing it.

Also, there is a liability coverage at most rental places that's paid for by a third party insurance company. The coverage on the vehicle just says the rental car company won't come after you for any damage. they usually just pay out of pocket. The margins on the coverages are slim though. I think per day it was like 75 cents to 1.75 on the car coverage.
I had only liability coverage, so them making me prove I had insurance does nothing for them. My insurance policy doesn't pay a cent to Enterprise if I crash their car.

They were just trying to annoy me and waste my time hoping that I would cave and buy their rip-off insurance.

I have been told that the profit margin on car insurance is about 50%. That's why they pay commissions to the workers to bully you into buying it. There is no way they would pay a commission if the profit margin was a measly $1.75 on 25 bucks.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM

479 posts, read 1,434,494 times
Quote:
1. Is that a promise?

2. General questions for everyone else: I heard somewhere that Hertz tries not to go over 40 hours a week unless employees want more hours, is that true?

3. Also, as I asked before, will being in a small college town make a difference in how busy things are? Since like I said, it seems that most people who complain about rental jobs work at airports or in large metro areas.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
We used to get so many complaints about both Hertz and Enterprise that my company (we do private jet charter/maintenance) ended up getting the ok to do it all ourself. We fill out the forms, we collect the money and a rep from the rental place drives the car over to us. Our customers never see or hear from anyone at the rental car place. It's saved us a lot of headaches.

I've been offered a job as 'manager trainee' more than once for Enterprise and turned them down until the pay and benefits go up. They require a BA/BS and then offer $30,000 a year salary? No thanks. I spoke with a few people who previously worked for them and they basically burn out the trainees so they quit before they have to pay them managerial wages.

Bah to car rental places.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I had only liability coverage, so them making me prove I had insurance does nothing for them. My insurance policy doesn't pay a cent to Enterprise if I crash their car.

They were just trying to annoy me and waste my time hoping that I would cave and buy their rip-off insurance.

I have been told that the profit margin on car insurance is about 50%. That's why they pay commissions to the workers to bully you into buying it. There is no way they would pay a commission if the profit margin was a measly $1.75 on 25 bucks.
Depends on the company. Where I was they did not pay any commission on the coverage. It was a metric for being promoted but no commissions on it.

You must have been using a credit card to rent otherwise with liability only they usually don't allow people to rent (unless you had some kind of credit check done using a debit card) and you are right...if damage was done your insurance company wouldn't have paid. It may have been you if your credit card company denied....which they do...frequently.......based on their terms. Always read the fine print. A lot of times they will deny if gas and other pieces of trip are not all paid for on the same card.

Either way, pressuring you or "annoying you" into getting the coverages is shameful.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We used to get so many complaints about both Hertz and Enterprise that my company (we do private jet charter/maintenance) ended up getting the ok to do it all ourself. We fill out the forms, we collect the money and a rep from the rental place drives the car over to us. Our customers never see or hear from anyone at the rental car place. It's saved us a lot of headaches.

I've been offered a job as 'manager trainee' more than once for Enterprise and turned them down until the pay and benefits go up. They require a BA/BS and then offer $30,000 a year salary? No thanks. I spoke with a few people who previously worked for them and they basically burn out the trainees so they quit before they have to pay them managerial wages.

Bah to car rental places.
Turnover within the first 90 days where I was is usually 25-35%. Turnover over 12 months is around 75% It's usually the hours and the salary that get people quitting. Some people think $30k is great coming out of college (nothing to sneeze at) but when you break it down to hours worked you are making much less per hour (unless the salary is based on a 40 hour work week and everything else is OT).

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Turnover within the first 90 days where I was is usually 25-35%. Turnover over 12 months is around 75% It's usually the hours and the salary that get people quitting. Some people think $30k is great coming out of college (nothing to sneeze at) but when you break it down to hours worked you are making much less per hour (unless the salary is based on a 40 hour work week and everything else is OT).

I had a job like that... I was offered salary at $33,000, which was okay. I ended up working 60+ hours week and it ended up being around $7 an hour when all was said and done.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

The same as most corporate jobs- you work 50-60 hours week making piddly and if you're lucky you get promoted and work 70-90 hours week for less than double piddly.

That they even require a college degree just shows that there are way too many of them.

I agree with the other comment: there are a lot of hot "marketing/communication degree" babes with room temperature IQs working in rental car shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment