Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,318,173 times

Advertisements

I am Business Major, going to be graduating in about 5 months. I have a solid resume, I have interned for a Congressman, and had good work experience (at a bank, where I even received a big award for performance). I am graduating with a ~3.3 GPA, but ~3.6 in my management classes. I am fluent in two languages. My resume isn't the problem.

The problem is that there are no jobs here in Buffalo, almost everyone I know who has graduated from the same college as me (University at Buffalo) is either working part-time, as a temp, or not at all.

So is there anywhere on the east coast or midwest where I can find a decent job? I know the economy is bad, but I am literally willing to move anywhere South of New York, and east of Colorado.

Where would you apply? I looked at unemployment rates for all the MSAs, and Texas seems to be doing well, as are Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. But Buffalo's unemployment is pretty low too, but there are just no white collar jobs here - much less for recent grads. Is that the case most everywhere? Are there some places where they are dying for new help?

I appreciate the help all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,932,584 times
What type of business are you interested in? This is a pretty broad major...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 AM

173 posts, read 966,813 times
I would only relocate if you can support yourself for an entire year on cash savings alone.
There is a possibility that in 5 months things may get better.

Just remember that people get jobs and not resumes.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
What type of business are you interested in? This is a pretty broad major...
Oh duh!

Supply Chain and Operations Management. I would be interesting in banking, pretty much take anything in management (HR, marketing, finance, retail management) that pays a reasonable wage* and get me out of Buffalo.

*I don't expect a six figure salary like some of my peers, all I want is a fiar wage, that is prevailing in the industry. I realize that I am young and need to work my way up to the bug money.

Quote:
I would only relocate if you can support yourself for an entire year on cash savings alone.
Well, I certainly don't have that. But I think I need to go for it, I'll live in my car if I have to. It would be better than having no job for 6 months or more in Buffalo. I could maybe save up 3 months if I lived EXTREMELY frugally, and started taking out student loans, which I haven't yet. I have a line of credit that I could borrow on if it came to that.

Quote:
Just remember that people get jobs and not resumes.
I know, I think that I am a good interviewer and generally come off well to management types. I have actually never interviewed for a job that I haven't gotten.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,471,577 times
Look at government jobs.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Look at government jobs.
I'm not a citizen yet, I am permanent resident, so I am ineligible for those.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times
True story - I was in a hotel van in Buffalo and the guy driving it was a business major. He had just graduated. He was working there as a front desk clerk and van driver. He was hoping he could eventually end up in management.

In my experience just because you have a major in business doesn't mean you are a shoe in for management. Typically you still have to work your way up. The 4 year degree is essentially a high school diploma these days.

I'm not saying some folks don't make it right off the bat but I just found it comical that the OP said "I would be interesting in banking, pretty much take anything in management (HR, marketing, finance, retail management) that pays a reasonable wage* and get me out of Buffalo."

Yep, so would all the thousands of unemployed experienced people out there .

Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,932,584 times
As much as NYC is laying off people, they are hiring as well. People are transferring in and out of different companies in the financial sector. It is a bit unstable right now however. My fiance and brother recently switched to different financial firms in light of more stability than their previous financial jobs. In NYC it would definitely be finance business but they like to see at least a few yrs experience and are not really interested in freshouts. Also my brother and fiance both got their positions through headhunters. Unfortunately its true with what someone said about the resume. Having a good resume and interviewing skills is great but its really only half the battle. It also comes down to WHO you know who can get you that all important interview.

To get something in the supply chain ops management sector is a bit tough since manufacturing in the US is going down the crapper in general.

See if you can get with a headhunter to shop your resume around. I know companies in NYC are still paying headhunters to find the right people for them. And its in the headhunters best interest to get you a job because thats how they make their money and in NYC usually the money the headhunter gets does not come out of your salary or bonus.

Good luck buddy!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
See if you can get with a headhunter to shop your resume around. I know companies in NYC are still paying headhunters to find the right people for them. And its in the headhunters best interest to get you a job because thats how they make their money and in NYC usually the money the headhunter gets does not come out of your salary or bonus.

Good luck buddy!
Thanks, I was offered by a friend of my father's (an executive at AAA) to use his headhunter. I wasn't sure, but I'll get in touch and take him up on the offer.

I wasn't even sure that he would take a new grad, since I wouldn't get paid as much as longtime professionals, therefore the headhunter wouldn't make as much, right?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM

256 posts, read 892,173 times
It's tough out there. Seems like many recent grads are taking any kind of job even if it's not in their field. I'm looking myself after recently graduating, but I'm not settling for pathetic wages. I wouldn't move without having a job, but the catch 22 is that most employers will only interview local candidates. I'd start looking at government jobs. Either state or federal. If you're bilingual that could really work in your favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment