Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 26,348 times

Advertisements

Can you get a job on a ranch without having worked on one before? I can ride, and care for horses, I can clean, and that's about it, but I'm a very quick learner and hard worker, and can work well with others, but will they even give me a chance if I haven't worked on one before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I've owned/cared for horses and was involved in pro rodeo for a number of years. I made a trip to Billings, Montana to see about living/working there on a horse or cattle ranch........NO GO! Actually seen an ad for a ranch hand and called and talked to both the ranch owner and Foreman.
Listed below are the questions they asked me:
Have you ever worked on a ranch as a "working ranch hand/cowboy"?
My answer: no
Have you ever done any welding?
Have you ever done any branding or inoculating (shots)?
Have you ever herded cattle?
Have you ever done fence work?
Do you have your own gear (saddle/tack)? My answer: yes
They both told me "sorry, we only hire experienced ranch hands."
A rodeo buddy of mine got a job working a ranch in Oklahoma, but he was raised on a full-blown horse ranch there.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

95 posts, read 185,587 times
Try the Rocking Horse ranch in Highland Ny. Talk to Scott Pett. You may be able to get a room there to saty in. It's a 100 horse guest ranch. No cattle, no welding, no fence repair( sometimes painting). Tell him the blonde from Va told you. There is a website too. But not very informative. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,193 times
im looking for a job as a rannch hand, i have worked for and taken care of horses for a little while i have worked on fences, my uncle had a ranch i worked on but he sold it sadly and ive learned my skills from him but havent been able to find a job around orange, california

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analea View Post
Can you get a job on a ranch without having worked on one before? I can ride, and care for horses, I can clean, and that's about it, but I'm a very quick learner and hard worker, and can work well with others, but will they even give me a chance if I haven't worked on one before?
What area of the country are you in? You might consider trying a professional trainer or breeding horse barn. Many times they will train you, but as another poster sez chances of you getting on at a "real working ranch" is zilch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianteen View Post
im looking for a job as a rannch hand, i have worked for and taken care of horses for a little while i have worked on fences, my uncle had a ranch i worked on but he sold it sadly and ive learned my skills from him but havent been able to find a job around orange, california
Orange county CA isn't exactly "cowboy country", you might write some of the big ranches in TX, WY, CO etc. There are some big ranches in CA but you would need to find them and have a work experience resume.

I just realized how old the OP is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment