Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times

Advertisements

This is getting beyond ridiculous I've been out of work 6 months now, by far my longest period, and I'm basically at my wits end here. I've applied for hundreds of jobs, gotten some interviews, taken their battery of tests, answered their questions, asked a few more, worn proper attire for the position, taken classes, workshops to improve my skills and interview techniques, had my resume evaluated, gotten follow up interviews at a few places, gotten very positive feedback.............. NOTHING!! NADA, nothing but unreturned phone calls, generic emails/letters saying they went with the ever-popular "more qualified candidate" I've applied for jobs at my career level, a lot more at lower-level lower paying.
A lot of posters here have given excellent advice, and I';ve listened It has helped, but still nothing. I ask, rhetorically, AM I THAT BAD?????????????
I wish these high and mighty arrogant hiring managers could be on the other side of the table and feel how I'm feeling. Maybe they wouldn;t be so quick to try so hard to find negatives with me and my work history and skills. It's like they enjoy the power and "game" of "let's try to find a way to NOT hire this person" I don't know what else to do.
God help me because nothing seems to be working. My friends and people who I've been networking with and those who have critiqued my resume and interview skills are also puzzled. I don;t expect to get every job, but c'mon, I KNOW I can do these jobs I apply for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM

161 posts, read 341,785 times
I don't think it has anything to do with you at all. There are just too many people competing for the same job. If it helps any...if they didn't pick the right one...the job opening will be available again. I know this doesn't help you any....and I'm sorry you're having trouble finding a job. Remember though, for each person that gets the job....there are many that didn't.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Yep, you are not the only one. I've been to a few interviews now and felt that they liked me, that they were going to pick me...and then nothing.

It's not YOU. Just a lot of competition out there right now.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM

173 posts, read 968,092 times
It is the economy and the companies themselves.
For too long, companies have made poor hiring decisions: if you could type you got a job, if you had a college degree they hired you.

Also, don't confuse politeness and congeniality. Although, I'll never forget that interview where the hiring guy was so upset that HR didn't screen me properly. The guy made it clear that I wasn't suited for this position and I would never want to work for that company either!

SO don't keep your hopes too high, unless you get major clues.
  1. You were scheduled for 1 person, but you had an extended interview with others.
  2. They scheduled the 2nd interview with you during the 1st.
  3. They discussed other forms of compensation.
  4. Don't confuse the salary question, they may ask it just to confirm you are in the same ball park, with out any real consideration, they may not ask it because it's too early in the interview process, or they may not actually have the full budget for the position.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
I've been searching since June. To say I'm getting depressed is an understatement. If I don't find a job in August, I'm not sure how we'll make September's rent. I'm at the end of my rope.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Like I keep saying, there are just so many less jobs now that everyone is applying to them.

I bet for any administrative jobs you get this pool applying: 1) recently unemployed office workers (clerks, secretaries, accountants, anyone who worked previously in an office), 2) people who want to trade up jobs to a stable 9-5 one 3) new graduates desperate for some experience 4) people who USED to work in office and are trying to get back into it. And don't forget people who just hate their present jobs and want to do something else...

So the job candidates are numerous...the managers/whoever/can play head games. Hire Mickey, and he sucks? Well, they can get 6 other people, cheap...

I could ride around 4 or 5 places in my area where I interviewed this year and see the people who got the jobs over me...but, what's the point?

Good luck to everyone. I am going on nearly a year out of work. My self esteem is pretty low some days...yeah, I get really upset, and yes, my husband thinks I 'should do anything' to work (yet I have a laundry list of limitations), so yeah, this recession bites.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM

66 posts, read 155,985 times
And can you believe there are still some stuck up people who I just read that deny there is any trouble out there? Because they have a job then everything must be ok.

So far America has lost over 6 million jobs. Maybe half that to overseas outsourcing. We are losing 60,000 jobs a month according to the crooked feds.

I sure hope Nobama can save the world as promised because he sure has his hands full. There is going to be a whole lot of homeless and hungry people in this country in very short order do to no jobs. I personally do not see this economic depression ending any time soon.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
I was in this situation when the economy was much better although the unemployment rate where I was living at the time was 12%. I held out for 2 months and it was a very emotional time. Anger, depression, tears. I finally took a job as a retail clerk for $6.75/hour working with a bunch of young kids. I really had to suck it up to do that as I felt it was beneath me. Turned out it was the best thing I could have done at the time. My self esteem picked up and I had a ball working with those kids. 3 months later I finally got the job I was looking for and am still doing it 16 years later.

What worked for me was to lower my standards and accept the job but continued looking for the job I actually wanted. This won't work for everyone but it certainly worked for me.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,854 times
There is still a shortage of people who know how to find a job. I talk to people every day of the week as a recruiter and while many folks try hard and seem nice they do not know how to interview. It sounds like you are trying harder than most because you are talking to people about job hunting and reading books on the subject and are taking classes. Good job.

To get a job today you have to be much better than before. I teach classes in job hunting and I recommend everyone take a public speaking class, an acting class, get involved in Toastmasters and go to a communications consultant that I know who will work with them on their interview skills. Only a handful of the people take me up on my advice. They would rather just sit and complain.

If you want a job today, you have to be twice as good as before. What are you doing to make your self twice as impressive?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I was in this situation when the economy was much better although the unemployment rate where I was living at the time was 12%. I held out for 2 months and it was a very emotional time. Anger, depression, tears. I finally took a job as a retail clerk for $6.75/hour working with a bunch of young kids. I really had to suck it up to do that as I felt it was beneath me. Turned out it was the best thing I could have done at the time. My self esteem picked up and I had a ball working with those kids. 3 months later I finally got the job I was looking for and am still doing it 16 years later.

What worked for me was to lower my standards and accept the job but continued looking for the job I actually wanted. This won't work for everyone but it certainly worked for me.
Excellent point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment