Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times

Advertisements

Sadly this isn't the first issue I've seen of having the armed forces turn their back on their own. A friend of mine was in the reserves and got called out for a couple of weeks last year. His work didn't beleive him and they canned him..which is supposed to be a big no-no. Nobody looked into it despite him filing a complaint, and I guess now he's being cut from the reserves and losing that extra income as well. He has 3 kids and is now 5 months behind on his payments....
At this point it's either going to rebound and get better or the whole system is going to fail and the money won't matter anymore...if you can hang on thru the winter I think we will see something happen one way or another...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Have you gone to McDOnalds and asked for a job? Grocery store? You won't make $80K, but you'll get a good honest dayss work and should feel the pride of working again. Then you can keep looking while you are getting by.
What people seem to forget about survival jobs, like McDonalds, etc. is.....
if someone like the OP, with a professional background, is applying for a job like that that pays I'm guessing 8 to 10 an hour max, after making 40k or more before, I'm going to be thinking, why would I hire someone who woud leave me ASAP anyway? I can hire a high school/college kid or someone from Mexico, who would be more likely to stay with me for at least 1/2 a year, since they have no overhead and are more likely to work for that kind of $ with much less of a problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM

275 posts, read 743,274 times
To OP: ha, funny, I was thinking exactly the opposite: after slow summer time(vacations!) people are coming back to work, businesses are waking up. I see and hear some activity on job market and hope it will work out soon. One company hired me in the middle of December, I was with that company for six years after that.

Rewrite your resume, if it does not work for one reason or another, you need to change it. I have asked folks here help me with my resume and working(changing) with it now, even though from my point of view and point of view more experienced people, who are in the industry, it is ok, they know me, they know what I can do and quality of it, still, not good enough in this market... Keep looking.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 AM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,526 times
Synopsis, how about writing a book about your "downward spiral" that you have so prolificly described for us. I believe "necessity is the mother of invention," and I also believe "things happen for a reason". This may be why you have been put in this position...I don't believe God has abandoned you, rather I know he's with you through all these life challenges, wanting you to creatively use your talents to reinvent yourself, as so many of us are in the process of doing. And if you are wondering why God hasn't given you any help...just reread this thread. He has drawn all of us to your situation. We are all here for you, but you don't seem open to receiving the advice now...it'll be here when you're ready. I think depression can taint our perspectives and motivation - [I]you can do something in addition to looking for a job[/i], you can write your story. So many need to hear it and I can promise you (I'm older than you!) when this economy recovers, the stories that will be told will be inspiring and motivational to all of us needing to know we have not gone through this alone. I think writing this story won't earn you tomorrow's dinner, but you'll be well on your way to publishing the reality of a citizen's perspective of this economic downturn, when you do get on more-level ground. God won't resolve your problems for you, rather he will be with you in spirit as you struggle through them.
Just a thought, start taking notes and an outline will follow...or vice versa. This would make productive sense/use of these anguished times. I often envision J.K. Rowling, depressed, destitute and feeling abandoned writing her first Harry Potter series in a London Dunkin Donuts. God did not abandon her...rather he was with her in spirit guiding her to push her talents to a newer standard, and she did. She's not the exception Synopsis, she's just the most notable of them. Thinking of you.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
if someone like the OP, with a professional background, is applying for a job like that that pays I'm guessing 8 to 10 an hour max, after making 40k or more before, I'm going to be thinking, why would I hire someone who woud leave me ASAP anyway? I can hire a high school/college kid or someone from Mexico, who would be more likely to stay with me for at least 1/2 a year, since they have no overhead and are more likely to work for that kind of $ with much less of a problem.
This is sad truth.

I got laid off from my job around Halloween, and then was trying to get seasonal part time work around Christmas. I was applying to places like Target, shoe stores, places in malls, whatever. And whoever did talk to me, I just got blank stares. These people don't want college grads like myself. Anyone with any intention of doing something with their lives. Even if you told them you just want to work and make some money, would stay to work nights or weekends upon finding full time work - you could read the "get outta here" in their thoughts.

Except for a part time newspaper writing gig, which pays dirt - I've worked two or three weeks in the last nine months. It's incredibly frustrating.

I've recently made a resume which says I never went to college. Pretty soon I might just only list temporary jobs, stuff I had back in high school, lie about dates and wages and locations. Can I lie about references too?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't think much needs to be said other than I've been without work (with a few weeks exception) for eight months.

I'm ready to stop looking; just about ready to give up even searching because it seems to be hopeless.

Not to mention Autumn is coming, and we all know how little companies hire going into the Holiday season.

Just nothing out there, for me at least. Nothing.
If you are physically able, there are always tons of labor jobs every where.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

I found it impossible to get a second job because of this.

True story. My ex-wife and I both applied to the same grocery store for a second job.

I have a bachelors degree, her a high school diploma. No criminal records. There wasnt anything probing, like an essay question, that we could be judged on. I actually had experience as a cashier in a grocery store, and she didnt.

Who got the call back? Her.

I am firmly convinced that its less likely a person with a bachelors degree would be hired for unskilled work then a high school drop out.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

True story. My ex-wife and I both applied to the same grocery store for a second job.

I have a bachelors degree, her a high school diploma. No criminal records. There wasnt anything probing, like an essay question, that we could be judged on. I actually had experience as a cashier in a grocery store, and she didnt.

I am firmly convinced that its less likely a person with a bachelors degree would be hired for unskilled work then a high school drop out.
I have also applied for some unskilled jobs. I have a bachelor's degree. I have not heard back on a single unskilled job I have applied for. I also think it is extremely difficult for a person with a bachelor's or an associate's degree to get a job at McDonald's.

Although, when I worked at Walmart back in 2000 I worked with a few people with bachelor's degrees in liberal arts. I worked with one guy who had a BA in psychology.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

I also think that today's job environment is much more favorable to women - and your case may be another example. Men are having a much tougher time and that has been well documented.

Many older men who are still married have just given up and resigned themselves to their wife's income as the sole household support. I have been out of work almost steadily since October 2007 and finding absolutely nothing. But my wife is long out of the picture, so I have no other means of support. I'm about ready to pack it in myself as I will be living in my car in October in the absence of some good fortune.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
This is sad truth.

I got laid off from my job around Halloween, and then was trying to get seasonal part time work around Christmas. I was applying to places like Target, shoe stores, places in malls, whatever. And whoever did talk to me, I just got blank stares. These people don't want college grads like myself. Anyone with any intention of doing something with their lives. Even if you told them you just want to work and make some money, would stay to work nights or weekends upon finding full time work - you could read the "get outta here" in their thoughts.

Except for a part time newspaper writing gig, which pays dirt - I've worked two or three weeks in the last nine months. It's incredibly frustrating.

I've recently made a resume which says I never went to college. Pretty soon I might just only list temporary jobs, stuff I had back in high school, lie about dates and wages and locations. Can I lie about references too?
A resume you took to target was never ever supposed to show you have a college degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment