Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM

218 posts, read 755,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Dumb down your resume. Don't put down what you were earning before. Maybe that will help. I can see where you just want to give up though. ...
I'm really sorry things are so bad for you. I'd give you a hug if I could.
Ditto!! went to another state because not one - not two- but THREE of my references old bosses were there and even they were not hiring! So we moved back home and I put my first three jobs since HIGH SCHOOL on very abbreviated resume with NO dates and NO salaries and got an interview and finally a job! One place I listed from 20 years ago does not even exist anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Good news! Yesterday I was contacted by the outfit out of DC that I've done some consulting for and he says may be able to get me at least three months worth of work. Per Diem and expenses paid along with a hefty hourly rate to boot. He submitted my resume to his customer and said that he would let me know by noon today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Good luck with that!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
Ditto!! went to another state because not one - not two- but THREE of my references old bosses were there and even they were not hiring! So we moved back home and I put my first three jobs since HIGH SCHOOL on very abbreviated resume with NO dates and NO salaries and got an interview and finally a job! One place I listed from 20 years ago does not even exist anymore!
You know - simple as it is, I never thought of that. Taking the dates off my resume. I'm nearly 60 and have worked two temp jobs for a total of 9 weeks since October 2007. I've tried everything else I can think of in my daily search and nothing else has worked. I am honest and open by nature, but perhaps that is working against me at my age.

I'm going to try that - thank you!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Good news! Yesterday I was contacted by the outfit out of DC that I've done some consulting for and he says may be able to get me at least three months worth of work. Per Diem and expenses paid along with a hefty hourly rate to boot. He submitted my resume to his customer and said that he would let me know by noon today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Great news! I hope that works out for you. Believe me, I know the feeling of what you're going through.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Great news! I hope that works out for you. Believe me, I know the feeling of what you're going through.

I saw the post above your last one CrownVic. How terrible it must be to have only worked that amount of time in two years. What do you do for a living?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I saw the post above your last one CrownVic. How terrible it must be to have only worked that amount of time in two years. What do you do for a living?
Well, I've done a lot of things over the years. Mostly customer service/sales/retail management in the early years. But that was never my real forte, nor preference. So I made a "career change" about 10 years ago from retail management to more accounting type work as I love working with numbers and would much prefer working at a computer screen than with today's public.

Little did I know, though, that I was in for a rude awakening as a middle age man attempting to find a niche in what has become a totally female dominated accounting office environment. It has really been tough as I gradually learned in the school of hard knocks that most of these women were nothing at all like the ones I worked with in sales for many years. I'll leave it there as I'm not here to tell a sob story. Suffice to say, my switch from a sales environment to accounting opened my eyes to how many truly miserable people there are out there and how difficult it is to work in an office culture where they are essentially in control.

So, like you, I'm just about burned out. I just take it one day at a time and continue to hope for good news down the road. Again, best of luck.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 08-04-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: redundant word

Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
just saw your post..........heard anything yet???

*fingers crossed*

Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Hey, Synopsis,
Let's hear the good news that's coming your way!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
So, we have to pretend to have no skills and be some nebulous age to get a job??

I swear I am going to do a dummy resume and just say I am a mom looking to get back to work and play stupid and bet I get offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment