Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times

Advertisements

I'm American living in Germany with my German husband. Once he gets his green card, we will move back to the states. So here's the rub - he will have a BS in Forestry by the time we get there and wants a job in ...forestry.

What state(s) should we look at when considering our move? Ideally there would be more private jobs available because non-US citizens are not permitted to work gov't jobs.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I'd try some of the paper companies.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
I am not knowledgeable in this area at all but USDA had a lot of forestry positions open. I am not sure what the requirements for employment are regarding citizenship. Also Google ForestryUSA for employment opportunities. Good Luck.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
I worked about 10 years for the Forest Service, however, it was quite some years ago. Have you confirmed the info regarding limit of employment to US Citizens? Permanent Resident not permitted? If you have any doubt, I would confirm by emailing/inquiring with US Forest Service, a Regional Office level, Human Resources – just to be sure - unless you already are sure. I was reading on the USAJOBS and it seems that PR was an exception to exclusions -- but I would specifically ask, or maybe you already have. US Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region www.usajobs.gov

US Office of Personnel Management:
U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) (http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/citizenship/#policy - broken link)
......U.S. employers may only hire an individual who is:
  • a citizen (either by birth or naturalization);
  • lawfully admitted for permanent residence; (isn't this the 'green card'?)
There are state forestry departments - I suggest that you check via internet and decide on a state or two, or area of the US you desire, and start researching. The more governmental, the longer the employment process can take.

In California there is the California Dept of Forestry. Do a little research, but then contact the HR dept and start asking questions. It could be there are state budget cuts looming (in California). But maybe other states do not have such budget problems.

Talking (or emailing) with people on the 'inside' you can get valuable (priceless) information - what type of openings may be 'on the drawing board' etc. Also, consider accepting an initial job that may not be ideal, but will get you “in” and then you can move around ‘inside’ because some openings are for internal candidates only (promotional, etc).

California State Personnel Board - Home - State Personnel Board - spb.ca.gov (http://www.spb.ca.gov/index.htm?e=1 - broken link)
[SIZE=3]California Dept of Forestry [/SIZE][SIZE=3] CAL FIRE - Careers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Best of Luck!! [/SIZE]

Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info, Zelva, I've got the links up right now.

Sure, my other half would start at entry-level anyway, since he'll only get his BS in February. We're wondering if California is the place to go. It's important that we both find work in relatively short time, and I hear the economy in CA is tanking fast. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics it seems that the midwest is the place to be, but regarding forestry I am not sure.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
The above poster is correct in directing you to paper companies, as they are the largest private forest landowners in the U.S. Here is a list of the top 20 in the U.S:

Pulp and paper industry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, since a lot of these have land holdings all across the U.S. and in many other countries as well, it would be impossible to tell you where you should move to since it would depend on the company and where they would need him to be and that could be just about anywhere. Also, keep in mind that the pulp/paper/forestry industry is always the hardest hit upfront during economic downturns (see the article after the list regarding the International Paper Company 2006 restructuring for example), so it's really going to be twice as difficult to get a job within the industry at this time.

I would recommend that he begin contacting these companies on the list as well as those others mentioned in the article NOW so that he could at least get a feel of what he might be up against in the future prior to any move.

Best of luck to you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
I'm American living in Germany with my German husband. Once he gets his green card, we will move back to the states. So here's the rub - he will have a BS in Forestry by the time we get there and wants a job in ...forestry.

What state(s) should we look at when considering our move? Ideally there would be more private jobs available because non-US citizens are not permitted to work gov't jobs.

Thanks

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-08-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Come to my area where the paper and lumber companies own timberland as far as the eye can see. They need foresters to help with things like prescribed burning, management of invasive plants, etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM

hey southernnaturelover, we would! He's interested in Florida but has it in his head that the Everglades would love to have him BestYet2b, thanks I'm going to check those out. Seems like it'll be nearly impossible already but it's good to be realistic. I don't want to arrive there (wherever there is) and both of us be jobless and of course without health insurance, etc. My family is in NYC so that helps not much, in any case we're more interested in hick life!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The Western states are best for forestry. There are forestry jobs in the East obviously (one of my friends works for the USFS here in Vermont) but far more in the West.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
hey southernnaturelover, we would! He's interested in Florida but has it in his head that the Everglades would love to have him BestYet2b, thanks I'm going to check those out. Seems like it'll be nearly impossible already but it's good to be realistic. I don't want to arrive there (wherever there is) and both of us be jobless and of course without health insurance, etc. My family is in NYC so that helps not much, in any case we're more interested in hick life!
Forestry jobs in the Everglades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment