U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM

5,517 posts, read 5,638,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiring Manager View Post
I get so sick and tired of all the moaning and groaning from the job hunters on this board who can not understand why they do not get hired. I got the answer! YOU WERE NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER APPLICANTS!!

This is not the Bill Clinton Economic Boom when basically anyone who had a breath could get a job. This is the GREAT RECESSION. The worst economy and job market since the 1930s.

Face it, you have to be much better to get a job now days. Any job, even minimum wage positions have maybe a 100 applicants.

Then why doesn't the typical person do something to make them a better applicant? What have you done this week to make your self a more competitive applicant for employment? Even if you have a full time job today, that means nothing. You may be laid off tomorrow.

What have you done to make your self a more competitive applicant for a job? Tell us?

(Hiring manager, who has lots of good jobs to fill, but you better be good!)

I doubt any minimum wage jobs have 100's of applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM

24,131 posts, read 32,604,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I have to disagree. A local job fair for a new TJ Maxx generated over 2000 applications--for 65 mostly minimum wage jobs. The new JC Penney's had over 2200 applications--for 120 mostly minimum wage jobs. The new BJ's had over 1800 applications--for 100 mostly minimum wage jobs.

A friend of mine works at the local Carrabba's, they get two dozen applications a week for minimum wage dishwasher positions, and they aren't even hiring right now.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 PM

7,440 posts, read 6,769,937 times
Quote:

I would encourage you to take a stroll down to local unemployment office. You will find that there aren't 100's applying but 1000's.

People are scrambling for work. ANY work.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
FBJ

35,444 posts, read 24,669,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have to disagree. A local job fair for a new TJ Maxx generated over 2000 applications--for 65 mostly minimum wage jobs. The new JC Penney's had over 2200 applications--for 120 mostly minimum wage jobs. The new BJ's had over 1800 applications--for 100 mostly minimum wage jobs.

A friend of mine works at the local Carrabba's, they get two dozen applications a week for minimum wage dishwasher positions, and they aren't even hiring right now.

Yeah most of those applications are probably there to be a second job. I doubt if anyone is looking to work for minimum wage as a only source of income.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah most of those applications are probably there to be a second job. I doubt if anyone is looking to work for minimum wage as a only source of income.
Wrong answer, as usual. I happen to be friends with teh HR manager at Penney's, the majority were 100% unemployed and looking for ANYTHING.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
FBJ

35,444 posts, read 24,669,593 times
Quote:
Wrong answer, as usual. I happen to be friends with teh HR manager at Penney's, the majority were 100% unemployed and looking for ANYTHING.
Well mininum wage wouldn't keep me in this neighborhood so I had no choice but to hold out

Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I would encourage you to take a stroll down to local unemployment office. You will find that there aren't 100's applying but 1000's.

People are scrambling for work. ANY work.

Collecting unemployment is a better option for most then working for minimum wage.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Collecting unemployment is a better option for most then working for minimum wage.
You obviously don't live in the State of Florida where the MAX u/e you can receive is less than minimum wage. If you've only been making $8/hr, your weekly u/e check is going to be under $100.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't live in the State of Florida where the MAX u/e you can receive is less than minimum wage. If you've only been making $8/hr, your weekly u/e check is going to be under $100.

1. If you were working for $8 an hour before being laid off, then you pretty much were already working for next to minimum wage before you started. However, the reason why there is an abnormal number of people applying for minimum wage jobs is because people who were making much more at higher paying jobs have shifted down to those jobs.

2. Florida is a poor state for unemployment benefits (one of the worst in the country actually, only 4 states have a lower max benefit) . In Virginia, you could easily take home more in unemployment ($363 max) then a 40 hour minimum wage week ($290). The average max benefit across the country is around $400 a week, and gets as high as $900 in Massachusetts.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
1. If you were working for $8 an hour before being laid off, then you pretty much were already working for next to minimum wage before you started. However, the reason why there is an abnormal number of people applying for minimum wage jobs is because people who were making much more at higher paying jobs have shifted down to those jobs.

2. Florida is a poor state for unemployment benefits (one of the worst in the country actually, only 4 states have a lower max benefit) . In Virginia, you could easily take home more in unemployment ($363 max) then a 40 hour minimum wage week ($290). The average max benefit across the country is around $400 a week, and gets as high as $900 in Massachusetts.
And in order to be making those high u/e rates, you needed to be a high income earner to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment