U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 88,371 times
Default Letter of thanks-after not hired

I would like to know what are the right professional words to say when I plan to make a thank you letter after being told they will not hire me.
Honestly, I am disappointed because I really give all my best to get this job, but the decision is theirs.I was not told of the reason, but I felt there's something wrong I have done that may not right in their standard, so I have no grudges, but just want to say thanks.
Just want to be professional because we don't know,in the future, they might have a good position which will really fit my qualifications.
Thanks for any help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM

477 posts, read 1,210,322 times
Why waiste the stamp? I personally wouldn't bother. If another position is available in the future, then apply. I wouldn't even mention that I have applied before. Make a new fresh appearance/impression.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,969,672 times
Never heard of a thank you letter after not being considered for a job. The best time to send a thank you letter or any letter of regard is after the interview before a decision is made. I don't know how many other candidates applied and were told 'no' but if this is based on your qualifications (which of course, it is) then a thank you letter wouldn't make much of a difference next time around.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
FBJ

32,857 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charity09 View Post
I would like to know what are the right professional words to say when I plan to make a thank you letter after being told they will not hire me.
Honestly, I am disappointed because I really give all my best to get this job, but the decision is theirs.I was not told of the reason, but I felt there's something wrong I have done that may not right in their standard, so I have no grudges, but just want to say thanks.
Just want to be professional because we don't know,in the future, they might have a good position which will really fit my qualifications.

you don't send a thank you letter after being told someone else was selected.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
FBJ

32,857 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Never heard of a thank you letter after not being considered for a job. The best time to send a thank you letter or any letter of regard is after the interview before a decision is made. I don't know how many other candidates applied and were told 'no' but if this is based on your qualifications (which of course, it is) then a thank you letter wouldn't make much of a difference next time around.
LOL, i know, I barely wanted to send a thank you letter before I was rejected so you know I wouldn't have sent one if someone else was selected

Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 AM

3,760 posts, read 5,400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charity09 View Post
Just a simple note that thanks them for the opportunity to interview with their company. Avoid saying anything that can be seen as sour grapes. It can't hurt.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM

23,226 posts, read 30,341,134 times
I sent a letter like this many years ago. During the interview it became obvious that I wasn't a good fit for that particular job, but would be at other positions in the company. About three months later I got a call to come in and interview for a different position with the same hiring manager, and I got that job. The manager told me that she was impressed that I had taken the time to write the thank you note, even though I knew I wouldn't be getting the job the first time around.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,800,521 times
"I just wanted to Thank You for giving me the opportunity to meet with you in regards to the X position. I understand you may not feel I was a good fit for this particular job, but I am very impressed with your organization and would love to be considered for any future opportunities you may have. If you would please keep my resume on file I would appreciate it!
Sincerely,
X"

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 88,371 times
Default Thanks

Twinma, thanks for that nice wordings! I appreciate your effort.
I agree with others here that why waste a stamp on sending thank you letter when not being considered for the job.But I want to do this in my heart.
The truth here was,I was really hurt upon personally told by the manager that they (main office-HR or CEO) will not hire you.It's like, I said...What? after all the efforts I made.What I mean by the efforts was,I was already accepted,do how many days of orientation, and all other stuff,minus the pre employment phys. exam which I was supposed to do that day, when I was told, they will not hire me.I spent almost a week going back and forth to their main office for everything.I don't know what's wrong, was not given a concrete expanation,but the manager was so kind to me all along. Well, the facility that I applied and supposed to be working is just in my neighborhood.I might meet them again,and I don't like any hard feelings in me,I want closure for a peace of mind.If it's not for me, then be it.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,800,521 times
charity-here is an example of why it is a good idea and not a waste of the stamp.
Although this is slightly different than your situation, it still relates.

A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a great position. Upon the second interview I realized an aspect of the job that I really would have hated. I sent a note thanking the owner for taking the time to meet with me but that I felt I should take myself out of the running for the job b/c of that one aspect. I told him how impressed I was with his organization and that I would love for him to contact me with any other position that he feels would benefit us both.
Don't I get an email yesterday from him saying he wants to meet with me. B/c I was just offered a DIFFERENT job with another company I said I could meet with him but point blanked asked if he had a position b/c I have to accept this other offer if he doesn't. He emails me today saying he does want me for another position....
Now I am trying to decide what to do. BUT the point of the story is we left the lines of communication open and this is what has happened. Had we not done that there may be no offer for me to be thinking about.
Anyway, if you liked this place and felt comfortable there I think you should send the note and say so. What can it hurt? You already don't have the first job so it can't do any damage! It can only lead to nothing (which you already have) or something great!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment