Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 PM

304 posts, read 742,652 times

Advertisements

OK seriously, what I am wondering is how people start their own business with no private capital and no credit? I have some GOOD ideas but not a clue as to how to embarq on this venture with no cash. My ideas are extreme, from envisioning a restraurant with a particular shtick to consulting, but thats another thing I dont know about - I hear over and over ad nauseum about how people have started their own consulting biz and now have client X Y and Z and they make it sound like putting together an IKEA coffee table - E-Z. Id love to hear opinions on how people literally got started on their ventures and did anyone ever feel like I do asking this? (i.e., in the dark and clueless and very un-saavy) thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
good post....this could be interesting to read.... to learn how others went out on their own and on a limb and succeeded.

Success stories always give people hope.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Mmmmm...that's the challenging part, isn't it? Creating the presentations and acquiring investors in order to move your projects/ideas forward.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
The steps you need to take and the upfront capital you'll need will vary widely - a restaurant is going to take a very different approach to a consulting biz. So first I think you need to narrow down your ideas to something actionable and realistic...then you can start putting together the steps you need to take.
Try SCORE - excellent resource, and free.

I've been self-employed for most of my working life (over 30 years now) and since most of my ventures have been service/construction-oriented, all I needed to start with was my own expertise, a few tools and the first client. Didn't really need capital, that came as business grew. I've had up to a dozen employees at a time.

I helped a friend start a doggie-daycare business. She borrowed $10,000 from a friend of hers. Most of that went to leasing a building and getting insurance. She was already pretty hooked into the local dog community; a little advertising and promotional stuff (booth at the county fair, active with the local shelters & rescues) and word of mouth brought in clients.

But I think you need to be really clear on exactly what business venture you want to embark upon before anything else...from what you write it seems you're just casting around in the dark for ideas at this point?

I could ramble on for pages about the different aspects of being self employed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
OK seriously, what I am wondering is how people start their own business with no private capital and no credit? I have some GOOD ideas but not a clue as to how to embarq on this venture with no cash. My ideas are extreme, from envisioning a restraurant with a particular shtick to consulting, but thats another thing I dont know about - I hear over and over ad nauseum about how people have started their own consulting biz and now have client X Y and Z and they make it sound like putting together an IKEA coffee table - E-Z. Id love to hear opinions on how people literally got started on their ventures and did anyone ever feel like I do asking this? (i.e., in the dark and clueless and very un-saavy) thanks!!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 AM

304 posts, read 742,652 times
For some reason I dont understand me email sent me the following, yet that same message is not here?? This is is what my email says was posted here:

Dear changeyourthoughts,
U R NOT THE DADDY !!!! has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Naive philosopher wondering about the real world - in the Work and Employment forum of City-Data Forum.
This thread is located at:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/727636-naive-philosopher-wondering-about-real-world-new-post.html
Here is the message that has just been posted:
*I HAVE READ MANY POSTING ON CITY DATA SOME VERY HELPFUL OTHER PLAIN STUPID. *
* CHANGEYOURTHOUGHTS HOW IS YOUR LIFE ?? IS IT REALLY THAT BAD THAT YOU NEED TO TAKE TIME OUT OF YOUR WASTED LIFE TO CUT DOWN PEOPLE THAT YOU'LL NEVER MEET ON THE COMPUTER. YOUR FROM FLA -- (OKAY) ALL THOSE FLYING BUGS AND HEAT MUST BE ****IN WITH YOU. EVERYTHING YOU DO IN LIFE HAS TO DO WITH DETERMINATION. ROME WASNT*
*BUILD OVER NIGHT. RESEARCH !! PLEASE RESEACH !!! BEFORE YOU ASK ANOTHER SO CALL EDUCATED*
* QUESTION.. LOL !!!
* Michael Harper and Jay Arrington currently reside in Michigan. They are two living examples that anyone with a vision and determination can become successful entrepreneurs. After starting a couple of businesses that left the two in heavy financial debt, they went on to found Harper Arrington in late 2004 with just $980. Today Harper Arrington is a flourishing business venture that has achieved over $500,000 in sales by the end of 2006 alone. Harper Arrington Publishing, to date, has been a company on a mission to educate kids and adults on how they can reach their dreams. Harper Arrington wrote and published the kids business adventure title called The Little Entrepreneur (
http://www.thelittlee.com/html/the_little_entrepreneur_book_c.html) which is available at www.theLittleE.com (http://www.thelittlee.com/) The two have also authored a series of fashion books on how to start a fashion line - available at startingaclothingline.com (http://startingaclothingline.com/). They a
lso created a fashion design program called the Digital Fashion Pro (
http://startingaclothingline.com/html/digital_fashion_designer_pro.html) (Harper Arrington Digital Design System) – available at: DigitalFashionPro.com (http://startingaclothingline.com/html/digital_fashion_designer_pro.html). Harper Arrington books and software sell all around the world to consumers, academic institutions and business corporations. They are also the creators of this web site that is designed to promote the entrepreneurial spirit and celebrate their children’s book series called *The Little Entrepreneur *which exposes kids to business in a fun and inspirational way.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

UM, what is wrong with people?? I wasnt slamming anyone. Look who's talking telling me my life is wasted and I am stupid?? If this is what this lovely forum is like, you all can have it. Thanks to those who managed not to rip me a new one in answering. UR NOT THE DADDY, thanks for being so welcoming, understanding and compassionate! You make it really inviting to use this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment