Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times

Advertisements

As someone who experienced such stress before, I can tell you that about a million people feel the same right now. Try to:
1) Stop torturing yourself on how to work better and do only the right things is a waste of time/energy. Its not in your hands and probably there is little you can do about.
2) Put the future job in focus. That includes intensifying job search (you have better chances of finding work while you are still employed) and networking. Take time to talk to people. If there is a conflict between time for a promising job interview and extra hours at your current place, look at the future. Your current customers may help you finding something. Sometimes they can even recommend you. (That's how a friend of mine found a new job).
3) Is there an option for working independently (self employed)? Maybe in association with others you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 AM

91 posts, read 528,006 times
When I knew the company I was working for was on it's way out I started sending out my resume' right then and there and going to fill out applications whereever I could.
That afternoon when I got layed off I got a phone call from one of the companies asking for an interview.I got the job.
I was only out of work 1 week.
So it paid off thinking ahead and getting my resume' out there....But today with the ecnonmy being so bad and jobs being so scarce I would say it's going to be alot harder to find a job right away.
So I would start looking right now.
Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
As someone who experienced such stress before, I can tell you that about a million people feel the same right now. Try to:
1) Stop torturing yourself on how to work better and do only the right things is a waste of time/energy. Its not in your hands and probably there is little you can do about.
2) Put the future job in focus. That includes intensifying job search (you have better chances of finding work while you are still employed) and networking. Take time to talk to people. If there is a conflict between time for a promising job interview and extra hours at your current place, look at the future. Your current customers may help you finding something. Sometimes they can even recommend you. (That's how a friend of mine found a new job).
3) Is there an option for working independently (self employed)? Maybe in association with others you know?
Thank you, that is great advice about focusing on my future. You've given me a lot to think about

Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
For the past two years, I've managed to survive numerous layoffs. This is good, I'm grateful to have a job,etc. But lately my employer has been losing clients, signing very short-term contracts with terms as short as a few weeks. Right now, two contracts are ending and we don't have any more coming in that I'm aware of. Upper management rarely communicates anything so I have no idea if any potential work is coming in or what. Yeah, I'm looking for another job, but in the meantime the constant stress is seriously getting to me. I'm either forced to work unlimited overtime or scrounge around for work. Grrrrr.. If you're still reading thanks

Anyway, is anyone else dealing with low morale and constant fear of being laid off? How are you dealing with it? Strategies? I've been laid off before and, honestly, this stress of waiting for it to happen is worse than when I actually experienced it.
I can empathize with you. For the 18 months or more, my company has been doing the same thing. We became very robust during the flush markets and now is the time to lean out everything and get rid of waste-- I do understand why they are doing what they are doing-- but it of course even makes me stressed.

So here are some things I do-- and since I have done this I feel more in control.

1) First you can't worry about the unknown. You have to go ahead and live life. The excess worry can make you physically ill due to stress attacking your immune system. Take care of yourself-- if you find the stress is too much try to find something that makes you happy and takes away stress (for me reading, swimming, cycling, etc).

2) Think of your "layoff" as the second most important career negotiation. I read an article I believe in the Wall Street Journal and the article talked about the layoff agreement is the second most important career negotiation of your career-- first the job offer. My company does award severance agreements, but I do know of those people who do negotiate the RIF agreement. I have already made a list of the important things to me. I went for gold here as a starting point. I think I have a compelling case although I may not get anything (I have worked here for 5 years with 10 perfect performance reviews i.e. the rating levels I have received less than 5% of the company receive), my employer agreed to the master's program I signed up for and to pay for it-- well continue to pay for it when I leave-- the cost for them is much smaller than paying me a salary. A few more months of severance, etc. I have already taken the time to write all of this out because if I do get laid off-- I am sure it will be emotional so I have already written everything out when I have not been emotional. I would suggest it to be the same with anyone. Some of us may get nothing else-- some of us may. A key point to remember is that you do not need to sign the severance agreement when it is given-- talk to HR and negotiate (your boss is usually not the appropriate person).

3) Make yourself more competitive now. Does your job have certifications? Can you continue your education? Can you network, etc. I use every dollar of my tuition reimbursement from my employer even when I was not pursuing a degree program.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If your family income was $4000 per month, most families have at least this income with two wage earners, in 8 years you would have $45,167 in a lousy 4% bank book savings account.

If you are saying "net" $4000 a month, Id say thats a load. The median US household income is just over 50k. To even gross $4000, youd have to be pretty much making the median. Id say the median household nets in the high 2,000's a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment