Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:11 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,680 times

Advertisements

I have a Econ/Finance degree from a state university. It seems like no matter how many jobs I apply to (out of state) I never hear back. I also apply to local banks and nothing. But the phone wont stop ringing from insurance companies!!!! It seems like insurance would be a hard sell in a good economy and down right impossible in this one. Can anyone tell me thats in the business right now how things are?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
They make you pay to become a part of it, so of course they want any live body to pay into it.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

349 posts, read 887,589 times
Default These companies sell life/financial products

and they are everywhere. If you can actually do it, bravo - I've never known anyone who does that work, though.

It's probably worse than Glenn Gary Glenn Ross (movie about desperate salesmen - quite good, actually) if you don't make your quotas and likely, commission only.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM

295 posts, read 1,178,963 times
Oh gosh - every time I update my resume on Monster or Careerbuilder - the insurance companies come out of the woodwork!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,327 times
Yes, Statefarm and Allstate are in the mix. The thing is, even the ones that do not charge you to start selling their products are after a quick buck in the hopes that you are desperate and your friends and family will try to help you out by buying insurance from you... You work up as many deals as you can based on the people who have sympathy for you and they terminate you.... So sad they way companies come out of the woodwork to take advantage of the down trodden.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
I got a call the other day from Liberty something insurance. My first thought was, in this economy and job market, anyone soliciting me with a job offer is either a scammer or the job is the worst job on the planet! I hung up on them.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM

43 posts, read 154,919 times
The best way to do well in the insurance industry is to start by selling property and casualty insurance. People must insure their homes and cars to get loans for them. Generally P & C agents also sell life insurance.

If you start by selling life insurance and annuities, it's a tougher row to hoe because people don't absolutely have to have it.

In order to sell any type of insurance you have to be licensed and to sell variable life insurance or annuities you also have to be registered with the securities and exchange commission. Licensing and registration usually takes about 3 months. That's why some companies ask you to complete those steps before they wil (can?) pay you.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I have a Econ/Finance degree from a state university. It seems like no matter how many jobs I apply to (out of state) I never hear back. I also apply to local banks and nothing. But the phone wont stop ringing from insurance companies!!!! It seems like insurance would be a hard sell in a good economy and down right impossible in this one. Can anyone tell me thats in the business right now how things are?

Thanks!
Insurance companies need qualified sales people who are willing to work on commission basis. I am in sales, not in insurance though; I am self-employed/entrepreneur.

I would NOT work for an employer doing sales because quite frankly, as far as sales goes, you are on your own and people buy "you" when they buy your product. If you can be persuasive enough and good enough to have people buy your product due to your sales skills/professionalism, you sure as heck don't need someone paying you a pittance percentage of your hard work, you can work for yourself selling insurance or anything else for that matter and earn a lot more. I personally, don't need someone else's desk, phone, and computer (in addition to their corporate B.S.) to do sales and work on a commission basis only. I can do that quite well, for myself.

FYI, my bachelor's degree is in Business/Accounting. I have 70+ post-bac credits. If I would try right now to get a "job", I can almost guarantee that I would not get a call back. Why? Because companies nowadays suck and are looking for #1 only.

That's my take on the whole thing. I wish you the best.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 AM

298 posts, read 1,089,680 times
Thanks guys!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job-Seekers-Edge View Post
In order to sell any type of insurance you have to be licensed and to sell variable life insurance or annuities you also have to be registered with the securities and exchange commission. Licensing and registration usually takes about 3 months. That's why some companies ask you to complete those steps before they wil (can?) pay you.
I think the above is a little misleading as it mixes up different specialties and their individual requirements. One can always verify requirements through their respective states insurance commission's website.

I have gotten a lot of activity from the sales side but have not been successful in getting offers/interviews from the adjusting side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment