Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - For weeks after he was laid off, Clinton Cole would rise at the usual time, shower, shave, don one of his Jos. A. Bank suits and head out the door of his Vienna home -- to a job that no longer existed.

Many laid-off workers try to lie low - Washington Post- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
I read this article....its so sad to think some people get caught up in an "appearance" society that they can't admit to being laid off as if it were a badge of shame.
Alot of "keep up with the jones" folks are getting a serious reality check!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Geez, as soon as I found out I was being laid off, even before it was official I began telling everybody and their brother that I was looking for work!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Wow thats crazy...I know my fiancee didn't do that but she didn't try and stay in the work mode like waking up early and heading to the city as if she was going to work to keep the "work routine" going. She didn't get all dressed up though lol

Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,733 times
Didn't men do this during the depression? Get dressed and go in on the train as if they still had jobs? It seems like I remember reading about this in the past. They would do it for as long as they could.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I saw that article and was surprised. But then again I knew some people who did this or were let go in a management shift. My former company allowed a guy to come into an office very day for 4 months after his last paycheck to find a job. He didnt tell his wife either...lots of pride and ego.

If I got laid off, I would be telling everyone trying to find a connection for a new job.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
smh. how terrible.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 PM

60 posts, read 289,695 times
I read this; it was so sad. The stigma for some reason still exists that if a person was just really good at what they did they wouldn't be laid off. However there are companies who are experiencing financial conditions that are completely unknown to those making the lay off decisions and in some of these places the decisions appear more random then anything else. In other words, some people who are in the positions of dealing with such foreign economic conditions have begun just grasping at straws at who to downsize. I know of someone who actually laid off his TOP talent (everyone in the group was skilled) because he felt they had better connections to find something quicker and the company was unlikely to be impacted either way in the immediate anyway. I know other places where CEOs have started drawing names at random; the fat was cut a long time ago. And there are still other places which are doing badly because the higher ups have been out of touch for so long and for the first time they are making decisions regarding certain levels of workers they know nothing about.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchs View Post
I read this; it was so sad. The stigma for some reason still exists that if a person was just really good at what they did they wouldn't be laid off. However there are companies who are experiencing financial conditions that are completely unknown to those making the lay off decisions and in some of these places the decisions appear more random then anything else. In other words, some people who are in the positions of dealing with such foreign economic conditions have begun just grasping at straws at who to downsize. I know of someone who actually laid off his TOP talent (everyone in the group was skilled) because he felt they had better connections to find something quicker and the company was unlikely to be impacted either way in the immediate anyway. I know other places where CEOs have started drawing names at random; the fat was cut a long time ago. And there are still other places which are doing badly because the higher ups have been out of touch for so long and for the first time they are making decisions regarding certain levels of workers they know nothing about.

If someone was really god at what they did they would not be laid off they would receive a paycut. A company find a way to keep a SKILLED employee just like I found a way to keep CABLE when I was laid off.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
When I lost my job at the age of 16, I was so embarrassed that I drove to DFW airport during my otherwise working hours. It helps that I like looking at airplanes. After a few days, I got tired of that and admitted to my parents that I didn't have a job anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment